Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no more box magazine lever actions?

Feedback Score

Why no more box magazine lever actions?

Hey guys

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...15C&mid=534070
    http://world.guns.ru/rifle/repeating...er-m195-e.html

Does anyone know why all the current levers use tubular magazines instead of a box-type mag? The box-type mag gives the lever the capability to use normal pointed rifle rounds, as well as faster reloading via stripper clips.

It seems all the popular levers now are tube mag types. Does anyone know why? Some kind of design flaw with this old Winchester?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You are right about the stripper clip being a faster way to reload. A removable magazine is even faster. The invention of LEVERevolution pointed bullets probably takes the incentive out for many manufacturers.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Browning still makes a mag fed lever. Just about every caliber available in a bolt rifle.

There really aren't that many manufacturers of lever guns left.

What Browning, Marlin and Henry? Did Winchester ever start back up production?

The lever gun died off after the popularity of the bolt gun took off, spawned (in my opinion) by WWI.

Barring any legislative interruptions, I see the bolt guns losing market share to the AR pattern rifle in the future due to the current War on Terror.

But I have been wrong, once or twice.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Why?

A bolt action will be more accurate, generally speaking, and since the only application I can think of would be hunting, the need for multiple shots is very, very remote, so no need for stripper clips.

If you wanted to refight the Spanish American War with an updated lever action, have at it, but the US Army rejected the M1985 Winchester as a general issue arm because of the complexity/reliability of the mechanism compared to a bolt action, and the difficulty in using one when firing prone.

I'm frankly surprised that Browning still catalogs the BLR, they can't sell many per year.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Why?

A bolt action will be more accurate, generally speaking, and since the only application I can think of would be hunting, the need for multiple shots is very, very remote, so no need for stripper clips.

If you wanted to refight the Spanish American War with an updated lever action, have at it, but the US Army rejected the M1985 Winchester as a general issue arm because of the complexity/reliability of the mechanism compared to a bolt action, and the difficulty in using one when firing prone.

I'm frankly surprised that Browning still catalogs the BLR, they can't sell many per year.
    Well, the 'why', I assumed, was the market that I assumed existed for lever guns. I guess I've misunderstood.

For me in particular, having the choice between a lever and bolt forced upon me by legislation, the lever is tempting because it's more practical/faster. But I suppose it doesn't have much bearing in America.

I had *not* heard of the Browning BLR before, I had just seen the Marlins and Winchesters. That pretty much solves my quest, I guess. Sorry for wasting space with my lever thread.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    No worries.

If I were in your situation I'd probably go with a Browning BLR if you can readily get one, in a caliber that is relatively inexpensive for you to have a good supply of.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Savage 99 ??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Bottom line- box magazine lever actions don't sell very well
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Finski View Post
    Savage 99 ??
    Also not in production any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Bottom line- box magazine lever actions don't sell very well
    I just don't understand why the tube levers would sell better.

Oh well. For the time being there is the Browning BLR. I'm looking hard at it, however, the mechanism does seem a bit.. finicky. Complicated.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Tube mag levers sell better because they are traditional and provide a slimmer profile with a higher capacity, particularly with traditional lever action calibers. Just think what 7 rounds of 45-70 in a box magazine would do for the profile of your rifle!

Why spend that kind of cash on a 308 Browning Lever Action when one can pick up a 308 bolt action with a smaller cross section, simpler more robust action with better accuracy?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast