Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-Auto Rifle "Precision" definition...what's yours?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IMO, the semi auto version of "precision" is what most are referring to as practical. If I wanted a true precision rifle, I would get a bolt gun as that seems to be the most effective way to consistently get sub .5moa groups.

One main identifier of a precision rifle is the optics, not by them self but when coupled with the accuracy needed to hit your desired target at your max effective range. The ability to range a target, dial in/ holdover with the correct dope and make not only first round but repeated hits on the desired target seperates a precision rifle from one where you can make the hits, but you have to take multiple rounds to do so.

With my semi auto rifles I expect 1moa or less either from single 10 round groups or multiple 5 round groups. After initial sight in/ group shooting is finished I like to shoot in a more "practical" sense. Engaging multiple targets at extended distance and running drills on targets at varied distances not adjusting knobs, are what I consider worthwhile practice.

Shooting small groups from the bench or prone at known distance is fun, but there are a lot more skills necessary to correctly use a precision rifle. I have started shooting in some local competitions and that is by far the best training I have encountered. This makes you get outside of your comfort level and practice things you normally avoid because they aren't as fun.

Feedback Score
    This is a great thread and something from which this old reloader is learning. Back when I was younger I was able to take a lot of hunting rifles, work up a good load for the owner, and have what I thought was a fair tack driver which would normally drive the varmint hunters nuts when they were sighting in next to me.

Times have definitely changed now that I'm getting back into the shooting game(s). Precision is not only getting tighter but the distances are beyond what I would have expected decades ago. Deer shot over 200 yards back then with an average rifle was unheard of, and thought not to be ethical. 400 yard kill capable rounds were limited to 4 thirty years ago; my old 26-06 was one of them even though it was on the seemingly maligned Ruger M-77 platform. Now there are more choices for scopes, rifles (semi-auto and bolt), and accessories that the new definition of precision is unbelievable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good topic Trident.

Ive personally always veiwed a "precision" semi auto rifle as more of a DMR type gun. It might not shoot as accurately as a good bolt gun, but it makes up for it with faster second round hits.

I would define a precision semi auto rifle as one that is purposely built to be accurate at long range. This will usually have a free float stainless barrel and a decent optic. I dont believe it needs to be a high powered optic as not all scenarios call for that, but it should have some magnification (at least 3x) to help identify targets at range.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A precision rifle is one that reliably delivers consistent accuracy
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Shot the SPR today since the weather was half way decent. Last picture is 400yd target viewed at 20x

JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    I went with the Mk12 Mod 1 as my "Precision" rig. Its capable of 1/2 MOA when shot in a mechanical rest, but its light enough to carry in the field if needed.

I setup my 4in steel plate at 400 yards 3 days ago. We managed to have just a slight breeze and a slightly overcast day. I put 20 out of 20 75gr Hornady BTHP Match handloads on this steel plate. This was shooting off of just sand bags(front and rear).

The whole purpose of this build was to fill a role of Precision Rifle, Im working on getting 550 yards setup at home, and I'd like to see what it does at that distance.
    Should be very doable, my MK12 MOD 0 hits consistantly at 650 on a 12 by 12 plate. Last time out ot was very windy, and the only misses were durning gusts over the windy condition we were shooting, funny though, they were all about a foot off, and if you compensated, when the gusts were up, I was right back on. In calm it will do 20 out of 20 shooting M262, with wind you just need to dial the windage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    Shot the SPR today since the weather was half way decent. Last picture is 400yd target viewed at 20x

Damn, all mine is setup with now is a Leupold 2.5x8 Mark 4, with a TMR

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Just an idea…

Maybe this is all obvious, but I think for Semi-Automatic Rifle Precision, there is a three-way triangle, kind of like a Fire Triangle, where each side has a significant effect on the other two sides of the triangle.

To me, the SARP Triangle would be:

Barrel – Long-range, medium range, close quarter, battlefield, etc.
    Weight – Barrel profile, barrel length, receiver, scopes, mounts, stocks, bipods, compactness, etc.
    Stamina – Chrome-Lined vs. SS, Match trigger or battle trigger, FSB or folding or no sights, fancy coatings or mil-spec, etc.

So, to me, SD/HD SARP would be some kind of light rifle that can shoot 30-rounds at a 150-yard 3” group in less than 2-minutes.
    A dig-in and fight SARP needs to be very accurate with a low rate of fire with the appropriate barrel, triggers, stocks, etc, so it will have to weigh more.
    And so on…

I would consider a lightweight 16” M4 that can shoot 10-shots 1.5” group in < 1-minute at a 100-yards to be an precision rifle.
    So, there will be compromises on these three “sides” to reach the accuracy necessary for the given purpose for a gun.

Just an idea...

Feedback Score
    My opinion......you asked for it.....

This is all iron sights, not scoped weapons...I'm not worried about MOA, my sniper days ended in 1990...I'm concerned with rounds in the 10 ring...

I don't consider my 6920 to be a precision rifle. I can consistantly keep it in the black out to 300 yards without too much thought. It is a tool that is there if and when I need it. This is after 21 some odd years of running various weapons in the Corps.

I consider the RRA NMA4 to be a precision rifle. I can shoot the CMP XTC better with this rifle than I could with a M-16A2 that was issued to me and I took very good care of. With the SS 1/8 barrel, two stage trigger, and NM sights it is pretty much a no brainer. RRA has a lot of hate from some people, I have no problems with that, the rifle has preformed exceptionally on CMP courses of fire for two years now.

This is the rifle that I bought for my 15 yr old daughter when she started participating in CMP events. Her being a novice to shooting; 2 months after her first shot with a firearm she was competing in CMP matches, pretty much taught me what a precision semi rifle needs to be.

A precision rifle needs to be 'user friendly,' a novice or seasoned shooter should be able to pick it up and consistantly hit within the 9 ring from 600 yards.

BTW, my now 17 yr old daughter hates the fact that she has to use a bore guide and constantly clean the bore while I just drop some USGI issued cleaning rods down the 6920.
    Last edited by Smuckatelli; 04-24-11 at 22:38.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There is some really fantastic replies thus far in this thread, and I must admit that not only do I see that I took my personal view of precision a bit to seriously(i.e. only thought my definition had merit and had been well formulated), but that part of the reason I started this thread was due to frustration over some of the thread/content in this sub forum...and essentially was venting to some degree. So while I still have a personal guideline and definition of precision, I know understand that I need to take into consideration that perhaps the definition of "precision" is relative to each end user and their particular experience level/application.

I really like the effort most M4C'rs put into a thread like this. It's nice that most here recognized this isn't the proverbial..who makes the best xyz pile on thread, and participation in it requires a well formulated and thought provoking reply. This is the definition so far of...there are no right or wrong replies, only substantive ones

Great pic by the way JW...a tack driving SPR tends to make one think of the term "precision" semi auto rifle

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast