Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: First attempt at building my own AR

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

First attempt at building my own AR

This has been in the works since December and I'm finally finished (for now at least). The upper just came in today from Daniel Defense. I ordered it through Smartgunner and it's been a good while in the making. I haven't been able to shoot it yet, and probably won't be able to for a couple of weeks unfortunately. Anyway comments and constructive criticisms are welcome.

ETA: This rifle is intended for general use/SHTF/HD/fun at the range. I thought I had pointed this out when I originally made this thread, but apparently I neglected to do so.

Upper

DD flat top upper receiver
    DD 16" CHF, chrome lined, light-weight barrel with midlength gas system and 1:7 rifling
    DD pinned low profile gas block
    Troy TRX Extreme 13" Battlerail
    BattleComp 2.0
    DD FA BCG
    Magpul 2nd Gen BUS
    BCM Mod 3 (Large) charging handle
    Noveske TRX QD sling mount

Lower

Spikes Tactical stripped lower
    Geissele SD-C trigger (thanks Trident)
    BAD ASS-ST safety (thanks Duffy)
    Vltor A5 kit with Emod stock body (thanks Robb Jensen)
    Magpul Miad grip
    Magpul MOE trigger guard
    Noveske QD end plate
    Tactical Link Battery Assist Lever (BAL)
    Remaining lower parts from G&R Tactical with a couple of random parts from a local shop

Finishing Touches

Aimpoint M4s with LaRue mount
    Surefire M600C Scout light
    Ares Armor Huskey Amentum slider sling

Please excuse my weak photography skills.
    Last edited by SteveL; 08-14-12 at 16:38.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Holy moly, very nice Steve!
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thanks man. I'll be at work all day tomorrow, but Friday I might try to get some better pics outside in the sunlight. I'll also use a higher resolution setting on my camera and just let the website shrink them down to size. I think they'll turn out clearer that way.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Outstanding work pal, let me first say that you did as much if not more research for a build than Ive ever seen. You were extremely methodical about your approach....you combine that with the most top shelf pieces of kit currently made today for the AR platform, and you should and did wind up with a world beating rifle

I cannot wait to hear how it shoots in the future and get your individual opinion on some of the individual parts that make up that beautiful blaster.

Congrats, you deserve to own and shoot that awesome rifle!

eta....we need the weight w. a full pmag preferably. It looks LW.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-20-11 at 21:28.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thanks Alex. I can't wait to shoot it. Unfortunately I don't know how long it'll be before I get the chance. It definitely won't be tomorrow so it'll be too long.

I'll get that weight as soon as I can. With an empty Pmag it weighs in at 6.8 lbs according to my bathroom scale.
    Last edited by SteveL; 04-20-11 at 21:33.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Very nice, a rifle to be proud of.
    Law Enforcement Memorial
    In Valor There Is Hope - Tacitus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah Alex, I talked to Steve on several occasions about the AXTS lowers and selectors.

He sure did all due diligence

BTW, the reverse hybrid prototypes are being made, so expect the familiar manila envelope soon
    Last edited by Duffy; 04-20-11 at 21:39.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thanks RPD03. Now I want to get some rounds through it to ensure reliability and maybe I can weasel my way into a carbine class some time later this year.

By the way Alex, now that it's all together and I've finally got to play with that SD-C trigger some I must say I'm very impressed with it so far. The wall at the 2nd stage is unmistakeable, and it's a very crisp clean break from that point. Granted, I don't have much experience to compare it with other triggers (I really don't remember what the trigger felt like in the BM I used to have), but it feels really good to my untrained finger. I think pairing that trigger with the 45° BAD ASS ST safety lever is a winning combination. It's also very smooth and easy to manipulate with nice positive clicks in the safe and fire positions.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I LOVE that 45* lever. I need one...now.

Feedback Score
    I built close to the same rifle with a BCM. I think you are going to love that lightwieght rifle. Looks great!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast