Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I bought a Bushmaster now what

Feedback Score

Unhappy I bought a Bushmaster now what

I am new to the AR scene and have a few questions? I bought a NY complaint Bushmaster M4 A3. I thought that it was the only post-ban M4 carbine that you could own living in NY. Now doing some research and reading the below thread about Bushys it was not the wisest buying choice Beside selling the carbine, what should I do to upgrade to make it more reliable? I know I'm going about this ass backwards but this is where I'm at and would appreciate any help. The carbine will be used for casual shooting . Thanks in advance

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Honestly bro, just shoot the piss out of it and enjoy. Don't worry about what you don't have. Clean it, keep it wet, take it out and shoot it. If it proves to be reliable just keep going and have fun. Spend your money on ammo, a good sling and a range membership.

That said there are a few small changes you could make to ensure better reliability;

1. Either a BCM or FN bolt from C4iGrant or Bravo Company USA. Both of those should come with a heavy duty extractor spring or a Crane o-ring for more positive extraction.
    2. Send your bolt carrier to someone like C4iGrant or GotM4 and have them properly stake the gas key. Your's probably isn't staked the right way.
    3. Purchase an H buffer.

Other than those items I wouldn't mess with it unless you have to.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I second M4arc's comments. Don't worry about it. Just shoot it and enjoy it!
    Insights Training Center
    Tenicor

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    The anti-Bushmaster Kool-Aid is pretty thick here it seems.

I doubt you'll have a problem, they're fine rifles. I've had 3-4k rounds through mine with no malfunctions that weren't caused by faulty magazines.

I wouldn't buy another complete Bushy though, the price you pay for what you get isn't that great. The last rifle I put together was a Bushmaster upper on a CMMG lower and it's also been 100%.

Don't worry about the naysayers, it's a Bushmaster, not a damn Olympic or Hesse.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
    I bought a NY complaint Bushmaster M4 A3.
    NY Complaint.... Does your M4 have a full size A2 stock or a non-moving fake adjustable stock? Which buffer/spring does it have? long or short?

I would just swap out your BCG and buffer as M4arc had suggested. I did the same to my BM.

Needed Parts:
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT-B...g-lmt-ar15.htm
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/H-Car...arbine%20h.htm

I also changed out the stock and the front sight post but that was just because I wanted too. (Pic is near the bottom of the page)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=642&page=11
    -David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    Thanks Ammotech, I was gonna ask what an H buffer was but didn't want to look like a dork! My 6920 buffer should be fine stock ya think? Thanks again

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For me, I had to swap out my extractor springs, inserts, add an o-ring, and replace my buffer with an H-buffer.

You should be good to go with it. Shoot it till it jams, then find out what causes it and upgrade that part. In about 2-3k rounds you should have all the kinks ironed out smooth.

Feedback Score
    As long as we're changing parts that so far have proven to work just for the sake of it we had better get a different barrel too as the Bushy isn't parkerized under the front sight base.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Runner View Post
    As long as we're changing parts that so far have proven to work just for the sake of it we had better get a different barrel too as the Bushy isn't parkerized under the front sight base.
    IIRC that's just a preferential thing, I don't see where it is that much of an issue, I think LMT skimps on that as well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast