Thread: Pardner Pump / 870 Barrels

Feedback Score

Pardner Pump / 870 Barrels

I recently purchased a NEF/H&R Pardner pump. I found one at Dick's for 189.00 along with a 10.00 off coupon I really could not pass it up.

Reading on several occasions that most Rem. 870 after market parts barring the barrel will fit I thought this may be an interesting project gun.

Having a few extra 870 barrels on hand I placed one on the action to see what the differences were, it turns out as I noticed from reading a few comments from several forums that the barrels are interchangeable with the only real hurdle being the barrel ring placement which is approximately 3 in. forward on the barrel compared to the Remington's.

A spacer is needed. The magazine tube shows to be just under an inch outside diameter ( more specific readings with pictures ) I found that a 1 inch ID, EMT which is a mild steel tube fits very nicely over the magazine tube, with just a slight bit of wiggle room. This bothered me a bit since the space was no more than a sheet of paper in width. I found that a sleeve made from flashing aluminum was perfect allowing ease of removal while maintaining a tight grip.

For a test I ran 100 rounds of Remington 1 oz. slugs in one session, firing slowly and as quickly as possible. No malfunctions occurred.

For the price this shotgun is worth it. If you have a few Remington barrels laying around and do not want to purchase a new 870, this is a great way to get a good low cost action to use.

The Tube

Tube & Sleeve

1 inch EMT Tube

Flashing

Center, Stock Barrel. Outside, Rem. Barrels

870 Barrel W/Sights 20 in.

Inside of action with 870 Barrel installed.

Same barreled action, wearing new Hogue's

Action with 870 Ribbed Barrel

Open action with Ribbed barrel installed

Action open with stock barrel installed.

All parts, not including finish cost 14.00.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Maaannn! It's neat you figured that all out but...that is kind of like playing with fire. I don't like trying to just make dangerous stuff work for the heck of it. Seems like a risk not knowing "why" there is a difference in the barrels to save a few coins. If the gun did mess up and hurt you or your buddy (or a kid), it ain't worth it.

Around here, with a little looking and some patience, I can find used 870 Express's in great shape for $150-$200.

But maybe it's just me...

Feedback Score
    ucrt,

Thanks for the comment. The reason I did it is not for cost, it is just to see if it could be done.
    Last edited by Don60; 04-27-11 at 18:02.

Feedback Score
    Doing it to see if it can be done has made millionaires of many a working man. This is what has made this country great. My hat is off to you. Not that this is marketable but it shows what American ingenuity can accomplish.

I started a simular project. I came up with a way to mount any 12ga 870 forend on the 20ga 870. I can now offer the Surefire forends on my Custom 20ga tatical builds.

Same way you did it. Just want to see if I could. And now I can and I am the only one offering this feature. So don't take no mess from anyone about this. As long as the modification is safe for you to use have a blast with it. Your time was well spent and your accomplishment is well noted amoung us who choose to see what can be done when we get our A** off the couch.
    J.D. MGuire
    Remington LE Armorer
    www.aiptactical.com
    If you are going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I Just picked up an H&R awhile back. I was wondering about that, good job man! I figure for 200 bucks I would just leave mine alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    Thankyou Gentlemen,

Your words humble me. To be honest the idea of a spacer was not mine, I just decided to find out how to do it and share it with others who may like to give it a try. It works well, 100 rounds of slugs beats things up pretty well at both ends and if anything would go wrong it probably would have. I feel perfectly safe using this gun anywhere anytime.

Feedback Score
    Don60 are you still on the group? I am interested in someone making me one of these setups. Anyone?

Feedback Score
    Anyone able to make me one???

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    It would be a very simple job to spin one up out of 6065, blast and coat it black but I wouldn't want the liability that comes with making what amounts to a barrel adapter. Now if you walked into a machine shop with a 12-pack and told them you wanted a tube X-OD, Y-ID and Z-length someone would do it on their lunch break.