Thread: Bonehead move, crud melted to barrel

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bonehead move, crud melted to barrel

M4C,

I did something stupid today out in the woods (no ranges here so we go shoot in the state parks). I set my rifle down propped up on my range bag underestimating how hot it had gotten. The barrel ended up melting through one of the straps (some kind of nylon I assume?) and ended up having a nice new coating of what looked like molten rubber. I scraped off most of it but was unable to completely clean it off. It has now cooled and theres a big swatch of black stuff on my barrel. I'm thinking it will burn/melt off over time? How big of a deal is this other than cosmetically? Will it cause the barrel to heat differently or any heat related issues from having a thin layer of something melted to it?

Any tricks to try and just get it off as is? I'm about to take a trip to the mountains and wont be shooting this rifle for 6 months.

Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Keep shooting, it should eventually burn off. It shouldn't effect the performance of the rifle.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I would heat it back up again (either with a heat gun or by shooting it) until the melted nylon is fluid enough to be wiped or scrubbed off. Once it is melted again some solvent may help get any residue off of the barrel. Wear heavy gloves and be careful not to get any molten nylon in contact with your skin.

I doubt it will affect the rifle's function. Probably just a cosmetic thing if it doesn't come all the way off.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Put the barrel in the freezer until it is cold. Then, use a wood 1/2" - 3/4" dowel rod to give the melted plastic spots some sharp raps, it should just break loose. Wear safety glasses doing this.

Or just leave it there for some "battle scars".

Feedback Score
    I did kind of the same thing at the range. I set down my SW MP15 on a sandbag. The barrel was resting on the sand bag and melted right through leaving the bag material on the barrel. I got most of it off but decided to leave it as over time the barrel will heat up again and said material will burn off. Freezing it may work too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I dont think Ive ever owned or been issued a carbine that didnt have melted sling on the barrel. It is not a problem. If it bothers you to look at it try and remove it, but it is not necessary.

Rick

Feedback Score
    Never with the barrel, but I've done it several times with my suppressors.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ok well if it wont hurt anything I won't worry about it, thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Did the same thing myself. Rested the barrel on sandbags held together with duct tape. Duct tape mess was all over my barrel. Scraped of what I could and after a few range trips, it was all gone.