Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comments on a gun safe for AR

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I got this one for around $400 at Gander Mountain. It claims that it holds 16. It also has a shelf at the top for hand guns or other misc. items. I love the digital lock on it..makes getting into the safe very fast and easy (but still secure). I don't think it's fire proof though...

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...D=GSHOP_415318
    Last edited by HKUSP.40; 05-03-11 at 04:23.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Just a little nugget, but I wouldnt buy anything that had a battery powered look. Get something with a spinning combo.
    USMC MSGT Ret. 1371

SEMPER PARATUS Certified AR-15 Armorer

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Carnut,
    There is a lot of good info. on gun safes on a site called Thehighroad.org. I think you'll find that many gun safes are not much more than a locking cabinet that might slow someone down during a burglary. You'll have to decide what you want to spend on a "safe" and it's intended purpose. I ended up buying an AMSEC like the above poster with 90 minutes of fire protection that is bolted to a basement floor with a dehumidifier inside. It was about twice the price of the one at Dick's.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Inside is what?

If you poke around the inside of many safes, ($1,000 or less) you'll find the "fireproof" material is actually 5/8" firecode sheetrock with a fabric glued to it for appearance. I needed a second "safe" for those lower end guns that wouldn't fit in the big one. I got a metal job box and lined the interior w/ 2 layers of 5/8" FC SR. OK, it's not as good as a big hunkin safe, but sure beats having those .22's and miss. ammo sitting out for the casual thief. The job box will probably slow them down enough so it's not worth hanging around to see if they have to worry more about the owner or the dog

Feedback Score
    Most of the safes mentioned in this thread are decent choices. They are actually Residential Security Containers, not safes. They will thwart the neighborhood kid breaking in and make it tougher on a real burglar. They are however pretty thin steel and can be battered, cut or pried open with standard burglar equipment. Definitely bolt them down or all bets are off.

I had a great local option - Drake Safes, from Roxboro, NC. It cost me more (around 1400 for 20 guns) but it is a real SAFE. Thick Steel plate and quality mechanical locks. Greg Drake is a great guy, he delivered and bolted it in himself. He makes them right here in NC.

Here is a picture of one -

http://www.dryesgunshop.com/featured/drakesafes.html

I realize I sound like a fanboy but the safe is high quality and Mr. Drake was a solid fellow. I feel confident that my stuff will be right where I left it when I come home and that was worth the extra dough for me.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My home is a newer two story one and the safe guys told me they wouldn't want to put it upstairs, due to structural issues, even though we opted for the heavier framing. Might have someone check out your home, as previously mentioned, to see if it would work for you.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    Is this for modern construction? My floor joists are 2x12's and span across an I-beam running down the center of my basement. My actual floor is 2x8 planks - the house was built before the advent of plywood. I built my safe out of 1/4" mild steel plate - its 72"x28"x18" and has been sitting in my closet for almost 2 years.

A large man standing feet together could easily produce a pressure of 200 lb/sq ft. Hell I could stand on my tip toes and create 200 lb/ sq. inch
    Yeah, and my cat puts about 1000 psf on my chest when she jumps up on me...

The 40 psf design floor live load has been around since the early days of the Uniform Building Code, back in the '60s.

The load carrying capacity of your floor depends on a number of factors, such as the spacing of your 2x12s (12, 16, 19.2, or 24"?), the span between supports (4', 8', 12'?), the grade of wood (DF-L#2, SPF#2, HemFir?), the size of your supporting I-beams (W8, W10, W12, wt per ft in those series?) the span of the steel beams, the steel grade used in the I-beams (is it A36?), the columns holding up said beams, the footings supporting said columns, etc., etc., etc.

If you want to trust your floor to "it's always worked before," fine by me. Personally, I'd have it checked so you don't have to drag your safe out of the crawlspace if it falls through someday.

Why risk owning a Stag floor when a top-tier floor is within easy reach?

~Dan
    Last edited by danco; 05-03-11 at 23:14.

Feedback Score
    Now I am looking at the Cannon Scout series. It is the biggest safe I have looked at so far. If I buy it, I will need to put it in the garage. My house is 60 years old. It was built as a 2 BR, 1 BA home. I added a bedroom above a 20 by 23 garage last year. I can put the safe in the garage and bolt it down. Negatives are, the garage has a picture window and in nice weather the garage door is sometimes open. People I would rather not have know there is a safe, will be able to see it by looking in. I also do not have inside access to this garage. It is under my bedroom, but to get to it you need to go outside.

Feedback Score
    I just bought one from Costco. If you get a chance and your a member of Costco go check it out. I'm extremely pleased with it. I honestly didn't want to spend more than $500 bucks and after looking for a while I realized I wasn't going to get a decent one for that price point.

Until i found this one at Costco. It was $499 and it's advertised as an executive 26 gun safe with 13.10 Cubic ft of internal storage. It has an electronic keypad which is nice. But it also has a key to open it in case you either forget the combination or just want to use keys instead. It's also Fire and Water Proof, I don't remember what the time limites were though.

It sit's in my home office which is in my basement. It's pretty damn heavy and it was quite a bit of a chore to bring down. But I only had one of my other friends help me with it.

One thing I added was LED lights inside. I found these really nice LED lights that had a wireless control switch that I just sticky mounted to the outside of the safe. Works great.

Pics for your enjoyment.

Last edited by lotus1; 05-06-11 at 08:31.

Feedback Score
    It looks like a great safe at a great price. What is the fire rating? I like the pistol holsters on the door. I looked at a Winchester safe that had that feature. I bought a Cannon safe. It is on the back of my truck right now. I bought it on sale from Tractor Supply Co for $799. It looks like this http://www.cannonsafe.com/series/cannon/c33.html

J will put in my integral garage which was built in 2010. (for now).

The website says it has a 60 minute fire rating, but I am prety sure it says 30 minutes on the safe.
    Last edited by Carnut; 05-06-11 at 08:57.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast