Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comments on a gun safe for AR

Feedback Score
    I think mines about the same fire rating...something like 30 minutes.

That Cannon safe is really nice, congrats. At the end of the day I really didn't need anything to big anyways. I also had a very specific location I wanted it in and measurements needed to be just right. I've got a shotgun that's not in those pictures and will probably pick up another handgun or two down the road. maybe another AR but that's about it.

Like I said, I wanted to stick around the $500 price range and all the other safes I've found out there just didn't have the same quality as the one I bought. Actually if I compare the specs on the one I bought to comparable ones I was looking at close to $1000 +. So I think I did good.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Lotus1 where did you find the LED sticky lights? I could think of a few places around my house where those would be handy.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danco View Post
    As a Structural Engineer, my advice is: If you put your safe in the house and your house does not have a slab-on-grade foundation, hire a Professional Engineer to determine how to reinforce your floor.

Don't just get a couple of screw jacks and figure you can do it yourself. Seek professional assistance...

A 32"x24" fireproof safe can easily weigh 900 pounds, empty. Add 200 lbs. in guns, jewelery, and important papers, and the weight on your floor is now over 200 pounds per square foot. Your residential floor is designed for 40 pounds per square foot.

Good luck,

~Dan
    This ^
    Last edited by ChocLab; 07-13-13 at 13:02. Reason: Advice

Feedback Score
    Lotus1 where did you find the LED sticky lights? I could think of a few places around my house where those would be handy.
    I got the LED lights from Sams Club. I really like them. It came with 2 strips of LED's and the sticky wall mount remote control. Takes AA batteries.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
    I got the LED lights from Sams Club. I really like them. It came with 2 strips of LED's and the sticky wall mount remote control. Takes AA batteries.
    Thanks very much. I'll have to see if I can find some.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    I have a Liberty Lincoln 34 Gun Safe and love it. Many of the comments above are right on:

-Put it on a concrete floor
    -Buy a dehumidifyer for inside the safe
    -Bigger is better
    -Dial lock only, stay away from the e-locks
    -Ensure shipping includes set up in your desired location
    -Know what fire rating you are getting (both temp and duration)
    -Internal lights let you see your stuff

Feedback Score
    I got it off the back of the truck and into place at the bottom of the basement stairs. It is on concrete(Most of my basement has a dirt floor). I think this is a relatively good location for it. The negative is it can be seen from a basement window. I need to wire in an outlet and an overhead light. Here are pictures of it in place. It is still on the pallet.

Feedback Score
    92 (96%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    I got it off the back of the truck and into place at the bottom of the basement stairs. It is on concrete(Most of my basement has a dirt floor). I think this is a relatively good location for it. The negative is it can be seen from a basement window. I need to wire in an outlet and an overhead light. Here are pictures of it in place. It is still on the pallet.
    That a big window for that safe to be sitting in front of...

Feedback Score
    I was worried about that myself. I just walked outside and looked in and I could not see the safe. The relative dark color and the fact that the basement lights are off when I am not down there, it blends into the darkness. You can see it when inside, but not from the outside. Also, this is a suburban home, there is no way anyone would be walking by that window. If I saw a stranger out there I would likely challenge him.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    The negative is it can be seen from a basement window.
    Two words for you: window coverings.

A cheap set of drapes or mini-blinds will do wonders.

BTW, nice safe! (I need to get one, and ditch my metal gun cabinets).

~Dan
    Last edited by danco; 05-10-11 at 19:47.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast