Page 2 of 311 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT .308 MWS Pictures show us your setup

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    HOPLOETHOS, very nice

What is the total weight, loaded, with this configuration?

What is the effect of the stock change? Does it feel front heavy now?
    Yep indeed all viable questions.

Weight is over 13.5 lbs w/ mag, optic, Atlas bi-pod etc.

yes, it is front heavy no doubt. While it is the most accurate .308 semi I own, it is not balanced imo. The SCAR17S is better balanced but not as accurate. Tradeoffs...

I'm use to lugging heavy stuff so not an issue for me BUT I can see where it would be on a long stalk, hunt etc.

At the time it was one of the best .308 platforms around. I had to have it for work etc.

Subsequent to it's release is the La Rue Predator at <8 lbs w/o kit on it. Something to watch, tantamount in accuracy & viable so far.

HTH...

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPLOETHOS View Post
    Yep indeed all viable questions.

Weight is over 13.5 lbs w/ mag, optic, Atlas bi-pod etc.

yes, it is front heavy no doubt. While it is the most accurate .308 semi I own, it is not balanced imo. The SCAR17S is better balanced but not as accurate. Tradeoffs...

I'm use to lugging heavy stuff so not an issue for me BUT I can see where it would be on a long stalk, hunt etc.

At the time it was one of the best .308 platforms around. I had to have it for work etc.

Subsequent to it's release is the La Rue Predator at <8 lbs w/o kit on it. Something to watch, tantamount in accuracy & viable so far.

HTH...
    Put a UBR on my PIG. OA weight went up but it feels lighter because it seems to help balance it out a bit. Food for thought. Question. Is that a NF 2.5-10 x 36? If so, how far have you taken it out? I'm having a hard time deciding between the 2.5-10 and the 3.5-15 Nightforce. I like em' both...
    Last edited by Sabre675; 05-11-11 at 14:32.

Feedback Score
    Thanks HOPLOETHOS

I wonder if LMT (or somebody else) is going to eventually offer a lighter barrel for the MWS, specially in the barrel extension area. A bit thinner profile (or fluted), perhaps an aluminum sleeve in the barrel extension...

Do you think an adjustable gas tube is needed to optimize supressed shooting, or the added complexity outweighs the benefits?

What is the weight of the magpul mags compared to the (steel?) LMT ones? Might make a difference for a combat load. Do they offer the same reliability and durability?

Lastly, who offers a good, QD non cantilever mount (it is not needed here) for the MWS?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabre675 View Post
    Put a UBR on my PIG. OA weight went up but it feels lighter because it seems to help balance it out a bit. Food for thought. Question. Is that a NF 2.5-10 x 36? If so, how far have you taken it out? I'm having a hard time deciding between the 2.5-10 and the 3.5-15 Nightforce. I like em' both...
    Negative,
    NF 2.5x10x32
    600 yds. so far.

regarding stock, I prefer the CTR for my physiogamy/somatatype & preferences.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Negative,
    NF 2.5x10x32 My bad that's what I meant x32 NF
    600 yds. so far. Do you think that's reaching the limit of that optic? Pretty consistent at that distance?
    regarding stock, I prefer the CTR for my physiogamy/somatatype & preferences.I prefer CTR's as well on all other carbines. I just felt the UBR was needed on the MWS to help counter balance the bow.It was an expensive endeavor however.

Thanks for the feedback. Stay safe.
    Last edited by Sabre675; 05-11-11 at 23:47.

Feedback Score
    I just want you guys to know, I hate every last one of you for having one.

A serious question I've hoisted one before at a show (guy wouldn't give me time of day to sell it) and they didn't seem that heavy at the time--is it feasable to carry as a duty rifle?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBob View Post

A serious question I've hoisted one before at a show (guy wouldn't give me time of day to sell it) and they didn't seem that heavy at the time--is it feasable to carry as a duty rifle?

Well, you at least not in a Infantry / Ranger unit, having it to carry around while humping a 50 plus pound ruck on your back going up on the side of a mountain. Try carrying a 23 pound M60 machine gun plus rounds & tri-pod all day & night on a recon....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by bouncer; 05-12-11 at 00:00.

Feedback Score
    While it is the most accurate .308 semi I own, it is not balanced imo. The SCAR17S is better balanced but not as accurate. Tradeoffs...
    My observations about the accuracy of the SCAR17 mirrors yours. IMHO, this will improve once better after market triggers are available. The only factory tigger that beats my MWS is the one on a friend's SR25EMC - and that is a very close call. I've not gotten to try the Geissele offering for the SCAR, but I have to think that it will be a significant improvement.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Sabre675 writes:

"Do you think that's reaching the limit of that optic? Pretty consistent at that distance?"

I don't think it's the limit but easy to replicate shot after shot w/ decent consistancy & accuracy.

There is a confirmed KIA in Trashcanistan of approx. 1300 yds. w/ the 5R 16" L7, albeit high elevation ...

Sabre675 writes:

"I prefer CTR's as well on all other carbines. I just felt the UBR was needed on the MWS to help counter balance the bow.It was an expensive endeavor however."

I tend to agree & understand the efficacy. In this instance I would be hunting/tracking w/ it more than fixed fighting postion so I opted for lighter and what I mount fastest & best w/ to suit my needs.....

Most the weight is @ receiver/barrel interface so balance is completely different.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBob View Post

My initial impression out of the box was NO. Even though I intend to most likely use the rifle in a DMR configuration eventually, I was honestly disappointed. After realizing all the heft was in the barrel I decided to do what a few other had done and mounted a UBR in combination with a 6.5 ounce slash buffer to improve the balance of the weapon. While the gun weighed more it felt lighter because the combination helped balance the platform. I put on a spare H1 and Larue mount, added my FUG in the same approximate location in relation to my work SBR and walked around doing gun ups and transitions. I am quite pleased. I'd have no problem running the rifle in a battle configuration. Very versatile and could be run in either configuration. If one wanted to you could probably send a CL barrel to adco and have it re-profiled more favorably for more direct work(similar to the new OBR) and have your 5R barrel for a DMR configuration. I have no buyers remorse what so ever.
    Last edited by Sabre675; 05-12-11 at 02:40.

Page 2 of 311 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast