Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't there any decent matches for ARs?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UVvis View Post
    I would have to respectfully disagree on that one. When I am shooting I am generally trying to improve my skill set and have fun. I really don't care where my scores fall.
    How do you know if you are improving your skill set if you do not use some form of measurement?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    How do you know if you are improving your skill set if you do not use some form of measurement?
    That isn't exactly what I said. You obviously need some sort of measurement system to gauge yourself.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by UVvis View Post
    That isn't exactly what I said. You obviously need some sort of measurement system to gauge yourself.
    Isn't that redundant? Of course you do. Even if you just want to measure your own improvement from match to match, you still need some kind of scoring system to do so.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    We only restrict firing positions for safety and/or for "drills" stages. If the point is to shoot prone, kneeling, standing from 3 positions then you're going to have to shoot from those positions. Otherwise the shooter is free to take a knee, shoot standing, whatever, so long as it is safe and doesn't result in rounds leaving the range.
    Safety, of course. That is more applicable in "close-in" shooting. But if targets were engaged at longer ranges (200-500 meters), then the shooter should choose his best stance. If the targets were to stay up only a short time, you might loose shooting time deploying a bipod and going prone...but that should be the shooter's call.

Our scoring is intended to reward accuracy over speed and to reflect the real-world implications of shooting a friendly or missing a threat; either one gets you penalized 30 seconds.
    Shooting freindlies should be discouraged!

We use standard IDPA targets. To neutralize a target, you need at least 2 shots in the -0 or at least 3 shots in the -1 or better. -3 don't count for anything. In other words, you can have one COM and one headshot and the target is "neutralized", or you can have one COM and two -1 for the same result. Targets are score as either neutralized or not. It makes scoring very quick, and allows even the most inexperienced of our shooters to help score.
    That sounds sensible.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    you might loose shooting time deploying a bipod and going prone
    Bipods are the only prohibited accessory so far.

We also require that you use the same gun for the whole match, and that whatever accessories you have attached to the gun on the first stage remain on the gun for the entire match. In other words, you don't get to shoot the lowlight CQB stage with a light and an Aimpoint, and then change to a 10x and for the long-range stage.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Many USPSA matches have 'side matches'.......
    Templar and I were doing this for a few years at our local monthly IDPA match, but it was alternating rifle one month/shotgun the next (we like both ). Some folks would show up for one and not the other, but it was usually the same crowd everytime just wanting something beyond the handgun-only venue.

Sadly, had to give it up this year due to a combination of factors.

I run a local carbine match......
    Rob, your set-up sounds outstanding! Were I down there I would be a regular participant. Keep up the great work!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscot View Post
    Templar and I were doing this for a few years at our local monthly IDPA match, but it was alternating rifle one month/shotgun the next (we like both ). Some folks would show up for one and not the other, but it was usually the same crowd everytime just wanting something beyond the handgun-only venue.

Sadly, had to give it up this year due to a combination of factors.
    Randy/Tim,
    If Cavalier does go back to holding side matches (both) please let me know. I enjoy their IDPA matches but that's a long way to go for me just to shoot an IDPA match, the side matches were a much bigger incentive to head down there.

Robb
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Not to hijack, but I think both Randy and I got burned out running these things, it's a lot of effort, with (usually) very little help, and the while we did get help from the IDPA bigwigs, it was usually given very grudgingly.

I like rob_s' scoring, that sounds like a very effective, no hassle way to do it, and when someone like myself is math challenged, anything that makes scoring simple and fast, while maintaining a degree of realism, is welcome.

Sadly, the IDPA program is hurting at Cavalier since all the concessions we had to agree to with the county.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Not to hijack, but I think both Randy and I got burned out running these things, it's a lot of effort, with (usually) very little help, and the while we did get help from the IDPA bigwigs, it was usually given very grudgingly......
    It would have been more do-able for me last year except:
    (1) all side matches were permanently exciled to the back range to appease the noise-sensitive neighbors,
    (2) all stage equipment (steel, barricades,etc.) was still stored at the opposite end of the property, requiring multiple pick-up truck loads before even setting up, and then all back again after a long day running shooters and tearing down, and
    (3) a marked decline in "bigwig" support upon transfer of the IDPA part of the match to new leadership that year (policy implied to me "It's not my problem -- go away.")

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    .....Sadly, the IDPA program is hurting at Cavalier since all the concessions we had to agree to with the county.
    Sundays suffer from the 3-pm cut-off. If they were to move it to Saturday, it could run until sunset.

.....that's a long way to go for me just to shoot an IDPA match, the side matches were a much bigger incentive to head down there.....
    Even the IDPA part has been reduced in scope, again as a result of the change in "vision". A lot of folks no longer come, even for pistol only (me included).

.....If Cavalier does go back to holding side matches (both) please let me know.....
    I miss it as much as anyone. The back range is planned to be re-built in the coming year, with all matches (and match-gear strorage) re-located there upon completion. If an improvement in "bigwig" support can then be mustered, I may entertain the possibility of getting some kind of action rifle and shotgun going again. Such an advent would be posted prominently here and elsewhere.

To get pre-hijcak and back on-topic, these are the kinds of things that could account for there not being more rifle matches.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    AirSoft seems to be more popular than Practical Carbine meets
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast