Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PEQ-15 vs DBAL-A2

Feedback Score

PEQ-15 vs DBAL-A2

So I am starting to see more and more people using the DBAL-A2 over the PEQ-15. I personally have a PEQ-15 and have never used a DBAL-A2. I am wanting to know if someone has both of the lasers could they explain the Pros and Cons of each.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There is a thread on TOS discussing this very subject, the general consensus being that most prefer the PEQ-15.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I had the intention to reply to this a few days ago but got swamped with work.

First off, what you're seeing is not a preference one way or the other. The tricky thing is that Insight doesn't sell the ATPIAL to civilians, and has worked to remove the loophole allowing LEOs to re-sell their private purchased units. They've done this by changing the ordering process to dissuade individual purchases.

Whereas the LDI DBAL-A2s and A3s (and to some degree the I2s, which get misidentified as their full power counterparts) are still private purchased and re-sold, usually at stupid high prices.

Now that out of the way, I've got both and find that there's things about both I prefer. The ATPIAL (PEQ-15) is slightly lighter than the DBAL-A2, with recessed windage/elevation adjustments, but it's also taller and longer, and well, beefier. The other issue is the mount it uses is just shit. It's a thumbscrew, and there's no way to swap it out, so witness marking the screw position becomes critical if you start really running your guns for high round counts.

The upsides to the ATPIAL is that I like having the battery in the back, which becomes easier to swap out. You'll have to do so as the ATPIALs have a nasty reputation for slow draining their batteries (I believe USMC SOP is to swap out the batteries out regardless after a patrol), which can result in the CR123As bursting. To me the BIGGEST pro of the ATPIAL is it's switchology. I'm an interaction designer, so I spend a LOT of my time figuring out how human beings actually use stuff, and make it easier. i.e engineers all assume the people using stuff are robots.

The switching on the ATPIAL tends to be a lot easier in the dark, as in the off position it just requires a counter-clockwise turn to go to visible laser, and clockwise to logically go from low aiming, to low illumination, to dual low, to high aim, high illumination, then dual high. This means without looking down at the unit you can always crank back to the start, and knowing how it starts you can cycle through easily.

The DBAL (PEQ-15A)* rather has two sets of control switches. One to designate the activation mode, i.e OFF, momentary power low, mom power hi, constant power hi, constant power low. Okay that's ONE bank, the other set of switches control what you're actually activating, be it the ir illuminator, designator, both, or visible laser.

It just means that in the dark it can be a tad hard to hit the combo you want without having to do some trial and error unless you have those positions down pat. Now that said, the DBAL has some distinct advantages, you can swap the mount out for a LaRue mount if you want, but by default they come with LDI's own self-adjusting throw lever that is...frankly...the tits. Mine came with an ARMS 17 base, and it was absolutely HORRIBLE, once upgrading to the LDI arm it was fantastic. The DBAL is also smaller so it's profile on the gun is much less noticeable.

I can't say which of the two I like more. Again, it's a 50/50 split. Both use the Insight pressure plug system, so both can be driven using Insight's pressure pads, or if you want (and you frankly should because it's AWESOME) is Surefire's Dual pressure pad, for driving a scout light + PEQ.

Nasty, I hope that answers your question.

*NOTE: This is based on the A2 model, the A3 and I2 use a one-bank control system more in line with Insight's switchology.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I have seen to many LDI products fail so I would go with the PEQ-15.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I have seen to many LDI products fail so I would go with the PEQ-15.

C4
    Hmm, that is not our experience. I do know there was a rash of those DOE units accidentally let go several years ago that had problems we got the call about from numerous unhappy civilian customers. None of which could be repaired, let alone sent back LDI to begin with.

Other than that, we've not had one return of any of the DBAL's, ITAL's or OTAL units over the years from our LE/Mil customers.

Vic
    Victor Di Cosola
    sales@tnvc.com
    http://www.tnvc.com
    "Eliminating our adversaries 940nm at a time"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titleist View Post
    . You'll have to do so as the ATPIALs have a nasty reputation for slow draining their batteries (I believe USMC SOP is to swap out the batteries out regardless after a patrol), which can result in the CR123As bursting. To me the BIGGEST pro of the ATPIAL is it's switchology. I'm an interaction designer, so I spend a LOT of my time figuring out how human beings actually use stuff, and make it easier. i.e engineers all assume the people using stuff are robots.

The switching on the ATPIAL tends to be a lot easier in the dark, as in the off position it just requires a counter-clockwise turn to go to visible laser, and clockwise to logically go from low aiming, to low illumination, to dual low, to high aim, high illumination, then dual high. This means without looking down at the unit you can always crank back to the start, and knowing how it starts you can cycle through easily.
    Our SOP was nothing of the sort, merely function checking the PEQ's each time before a patrol to see if anything had gone awry - mine went a half a year on one battery (exclusively momentary use), so I was unaware of any such problems with the insight units.

I will absolutely agree that the APTIAL is a bit easier to run in the dark, for the reasons listed above, and for that reason alone it's my preference. The revised LDI mount looks better than the default Insight PEQ15 unit, but my reason to wanting an LDI at this point is for a short SBR (with limited range already) for the I2 DBAL.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The SOP must vary because I was told they would cycle fresh batteries out every night after a patrol. *shrugs* I'm not a soldier so I'm just going based on 2nd hand info.

That said I've noticed in my ATPIALs that if left with the battery on, they'll usually drain a battery in about 2-3 weeks. The DBAL so far has been fine.

Again, both systems have their pros and cons, I like having both. That said the ATPIAL is just stupid easy to work in the dark. I'm sure I'll get all the switching down on the DBAL.

And come on, you have to love a switch that says MOM POWER HI
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the insight from you guys (no pun intended). I am coming from the military side of the house and am used to the Insight PEQ setup. My main experience is with the older PEQ-2 and newer PEQ-15. I would agree with the ease of use of the Insight lasers. I have never had an issue with my PEQ-15, I was just wanting to know if there was something newer and better on the market. I seems to come down, like many things gun related, to personal preference. The only thing I wish they could improve on the PEQ-15 is the mounting system. A Larue mount would be ideal. Thanks again for everyones input on the subject.

And yes Titleist......the Surefire Dual Switch is BOSS.

Feedback Score
    Only familiar with the ATIPAL, so I can’t weigh in there, but I can't see too many things about a dual pad that I like, I have seen too many white light AD's to think well of them.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Only familiar with the ATIPAL, so I can’t weigh in there, but I can't see too many things about a dual pad that I like, I have seen too many white light AD's to think well of them.
    Honestly I agree with this, main reason I stopped using my dual pad. If you're wearing gloves and have big hands it's way too easy to accidentally actuate both pads instead of just one.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast