Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: PEQ-15 vs DBAL-A2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearedHot View Post
    LDI lasers are generally unreliable from what I've seen and experienced. Back when Grant was selling Dbal-A2s many of them shit the bed within a month or two. And of course LDI would not repair them and even threatened to call the Feds on Grant because he was selling their Class IIIb lasers.

Their civilian legal Dbal I2's have been plagued with battery drain issues. It seems like the company's solution for crappy lasers that have problems, is to release and market more crappy lasers. They kind of remind me of what Sig Sauer has become.
    Have you actually owned one the LDI units or just "heard" about issues? :-) We handle both and have actually fielded failures of BOTH LDI and Insight (now L3) units. It happens, they are electrical devices that can and do fail. No electrical devices are fool proof. I care not to even mention the amount of PEQ-2A's/4C's failed over the years due to cracked body housings etc. They were so brittle and it was hard not to see a US Serviceman picture with a zip tie holding them together or a tie together for precaution. ;-)

Couple of facts.

1. The I2's had a early battery drain issue which was fixed completely late 2011 and early this year.
    2. Not all I2 units had an issue and LDI did repair under warranty for units that were defective. (At least any units we actually sold I am speaking about)
    3. The rest of the LDI Class 1 line has always been rock solid from the get go. The I2's were the only one to have the batt drain issue we experienced.
    4. As for the DOE USED units sold illegally from that Agency (several lost their jobs on that one) to an FFL initially who was selling them to all who wanted them... By law there was no way LDI could return a restricted Class 3B unit to a non Mil/LE agency. That is why they could not return them in the first place. This had nothing to do with bad customer service.
    (Factually I do not know what happened to other dealers who tried to get repairs, I have no information about that except to know why ALL restricted lasers sold outside legal means cannot get returned to a non Mil/LE agency).

You have any idea how many stolen ATPIALS and others lasers obtained from EE boards and other places have failed? The end user now has an expensive paperweight that is a look cool non-working device? We know, we get calls every month on some sort of how can I get my device repaired or replaced? :-(

I personally advocated along with Chappy at LMS Defense for LDI to make a Class 1 laser for the masses for many years. Lord knows the amount of illegal high power units were getting so many in trouble. Along with the restricted high power units came too much power that only bloomed your target, the Class 1 units have just enough power to work well and of course the biggest advantage? They can be repaired AND returned because they were purchased under legal laws. :-)

I think for the most part, it's a real GOOD thing we have Class 1 IR laser choices and no one has stepped up to the plate to make them civvy legal except LDI and Lasermax later on. Let's hope the trend continues.

Hope this helps.

Vic
    Victor Di Cosola
    sales@tnvc.com
    http://www.tnvc.com
    "Eliminating our adversaries 940nm at a time"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Have you actually owned one the LDI units or just "heard" about issues? :-) We handle both and have actually fielded failures of BOTH LDI and Insight (now L3) units. It happens, they are electrical devices that can and do fail. No electrical devices are fool proof. I care not to even mention the amount of PEQ-2A's/4C's failed over the years due to cracked body housings etc. They were so brittle and it was hard not to see a US Serviceman picture with a zip tie holding them together or a tie together for precaution. ;-)

Couple of facts.

1. The I2's had a early battery drain issue which was fixed completely late 2011 and early this year.
    2. Not all I2 units had an issue and LDI did repair under warranty for units that were defective. (At least any units we actually sold I am speaking about)
    3. The rest of the LDI Class 1 line has always been rock solid from the get go. The I2's were the only one to have the batt drain issue we experienced.
    4. As for the DOE USED units sold illegally from that Agency (several lost their jobs on that one) to an FFL initially who was selling them to all who wanted them... By law there was no way LDI could return a restricted Class 3B unit to a non Mil/LE agency. That is why they could not return them in the first place. This had nothing to do with bad customer service.
    (Factually I do not know what happened to other dealers who tried to get repairs, I have no information about that except to know why ALL restricted lasers sold outside legal means cannot get returned to a non Mil/LE agency).

You have any idea how many stolen ATPIALS and others lasers obtained from EE boards and other places have failed? The end user now has an expensive paperweight that is a look cool non-working device? We know, we get calls every month on some sort of how can I get my device repaired or replaced? :-(

I personally advocated along with Chappy at LMS Defense for LDI to make a Class 1 laser for the masses for many years. Lord knows the amount of illegal high power units were getting so many in trouble. Along with the restricted high power units came too much power that only bloomed your target, the Class 1 units have just enough power to work well and of course the biggest advantage? They can be repaired AND returned because they were purchased under legal laws. :-)

I think for the most part, it's a real GOOD thing we have Class 1 IR laser choices and no one has stepped up to the plate to make them civvy legal except LDI and Lasermax later on. Let's hope the trend continues.

Hope this helps.

Vic
    I agree that any electronic device can/will fail. However the general consensus from guys that have BTDT is that the PEQ-2's and PEQ-15's are good to go. The zip ties you see on the units are there for sensitive items accountability reasons, and not really holding them together so they don't fall apart.

Also, not all PEQ's being sold are stolen .mil property. Many are "grey market" units sourced from LE depts that re-sold them. There are a lot of these lasers out there. Both Insight and LDI units. However, there are far more documented cases of DBALs failing than ATPIALs for example.

Hypothetically if one could buy a legally obtained grey market PEQ vs a Class I DBAL for the same price, I personally would go for the PEQ. You are getting more laser for your money IMO.
    Last edited by ClearedHot; 07-22-12 at 22:20.

Feedback Score
    I agree that any electronic device can/will fail. However the general consensus from guys that have BTDT is that the PEQ-2's and PEQ-15's are good to go. The zip ties you see on the units are there for sensitive items accountability reasons, and not really holding them together so they don't fall apart.

Must politely disagree here, had too many out in the field crack so many times they have to be zip tied.

Also, not all PEQ's being sold are stolen .mil property. Many are "grey market" units sourced from LE depts that re-sold them.

This is not allowed and an old fallacy many still come up with. ALL agencies sign strict agreements with the laser manufacturers in accordance with FDA laws that they cannot re-sell units to the general public. I know this for a fact as our company has to supply these forms to all agencies who purchase restricted units.

There is also case law not too long ago of a few not so honest officers who were arrested selling NFA items along with IR lasers and a bunch of them on several EE sites.

There are a lot of these lasers out there. Both Insight and LDI units. However, there are far more documented cases of DBALs failing than ATPIALs for example.

Hypothetically if one could buy a legally obtained grey market PEQ vs a Class I DBAL for the same price, I personally would go for the PEQ. You are getting more laser for your money IMO.
    My responses in bold above.
    Victor Di Cosola
    sales@tnvc.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is not allowed and an old fallacy many still come up with. ALL agencies sign strict agreements with the laser manufacturers in accordance with FDA laws that they cannot re-sell units to the general public. I know this for a fact as our company has to supply these forms to all agencies who purchase restricted units.
    So if that being the case, are you saying that ALL Class IIIb lasers owned by non .mil/LE entities are in fact illegal?

Feedback Score
    So if that being the case, are you saying that ALL Class IIIb lasers owned by non .mil/LE entities are in fact illegal?
    Never said illegal to own. They have been illegally sold to the end user, which is why so many have been confiscated over the years. :-( That is so unfortunate because the end-user in many cases gets a knock on the door, unit confiscated and they are out all the money they paid. :-(

Edit: Right/wrong, not here to debate the current laws, grey areas etc. Only reporting what the current situation is and trying to give the consumer the best info we have at any given time. My best advice still holds true, since Class 1 IR lasers are now available to all civvy's, there is no reason to put yourself at risk by purchasing restricted units. Class 1's can be warrantied AND returned to the end user with no questions asked on the lagality of the unit itself. :-) Thanks.

Vic
    Victor Di Cosola
    sales@tnvc.com

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910