Page 1 of 107 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Move back to GI magazines - a journey

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Move back to GI magazines - a journey

I've been accumulating bits and pieces to make a move back to my preferred magazine setup of GI magazines, Magpul followers, and Magpul Rangerplates. My reasons are varied, but the reality is that my transition to primarily Pmags was mostly accidental. I happened to use a few GI magazines in recent months and was reminded both of how much I like them, but of how much more I like them with the Ranger Plates installed (the ones I used recently lacked them). This is obviously not a cost-saving measure as GI mag + Magpul follower + Ranger Plate > Pmag alone.

I've begun digging through my old stashes of this and that, mostly magazines that slowly got put away as I used them less and less.

The first thing of interest that I found was my old stash of "pre-ban" magazines. Since so many of our members of late appear to have come to the AR after the ban ended, this may be a confusing concept. During the ban, one would scrape and scheme to get 20- and 30-round magazines from any source. Most often they were from guys that got out of the military and brought a handful of magazines with them. You'd pay (too much) for them, and the conventional wisdom of the time was you'd swap out the black follower (if so equipped) for the green one (which was current new issue at the time). Then you'd mark it somehow to identify it, and go shoot it to see if it actually worked. I typically replaced the springs too, just to be sure. If it didn't work, many people would invest hours trying to figure out why and fix it, because you couldn't simply go buy more. NIW GI mags, when they came available, were often $30.

I worked at a gunshop, and and army surplus shop, so we had a fair amount come through. NIW I never opened, and still have a good number of those, but used ones I went through the process outlined above. Below is the result of that, and these are my stash of pre-ban, used, but heavily function-tested and known-reliable magazines. Some of the 20s are actually newer, but the majority are also used. You'll notice that some kept the black followers, and some eventually got Magpul followers.

This is one of a few parts boxes I came across. I never threw anything out. I even have boxes of the used, shorter, unserviceable springs. At the time everyone assumed the ban would get extended and eventually we'd need these things. I have magazine bodies that never worked too, for the same reason. This is just a collection of followers of various types, with a few Ranger Plates in there too.

This is what I really wanted to show you guys. Even with one follower vs. another, all magazines are not created equal. The magazine on the left functions 100% while the magazine on the right has intermittent partial failures to feed, typically on odd numbered rounds. You'll notice a very subtle difference between the top of the frontstap and it's distance from the front of the feedlips, as evidenced by the amount of follower you can see. Once you've had something like this happen, you know what to look for, but when you're on the range and all of your magazines look like the ones on the right, it's really hard to figure out what the problem might be.

Last edited by rob_s; 05-16-11 at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If people find this topic interesting I'll keep coming back and updating with other things I discover as I make this switch. If not I'll let it die down.

Hopefully we can avoid a big "GI vs. Pmag" internut battle. This process is not at all about "Pmags suck" or anything of the sort. It is simply a personal preference issue and for me it is worth the extra time and cost to get the magazines the way I prefer them.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I am interested, I have been doing the same thing. I like the GI mags better for various reasons.

I did do something different though. I sold my pre-ban mags to guys in ban states for the price of replacement NHMTG mags. I remember what it used to be like scrounging for pre-ban mags.

I haven't done any of the upgrades that you have with Range plates or Magpul followers and I would be interested in your journey.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    As someone with a lot of experience with black, green, and Magpul followers can you tell a difference in functionality between followers? Also what kind of springs are you running?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    From the time I was in the Army back in the 80's until now I have never had a problem with GI mags and have never felt the need to change to a different mag. Plus when you find them for about 5 bucks a piece sometimes, you can't go wrong.

I have a wide assortment of 20's and 30's. I have no plastic mags.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    re: followers-
    I can tell you that during the ban I got some magazines that would not run with the black followers, but did when I installed green. I also had some that would not even run with the green. When the Magpul followers started coming online I pulled out some of those non-running magazines and the Magpul followers made working magazines out of them. We're talking a very small number here, maybe 5 total ever, but the fact that a simple follower change could take me from a non-working magazine to a working magazine was of interest, and it's why even now I'll be installing Magpul followers in the magazines. My thinking is that at some point the magazine may reach that point where it wouldn't function with the green follower, and by having the Magpul in it I may extend the service life.
    (the above experiences excludes bodies that were so dented that the reason it didn't function was that the follower could not physically travel the length of the mag body)

re: springs-
    I'm still trying to figure this one out a bit. I do know that "back in the day" I got a lot of magazines with rusted springs. Part of my rebuild was to install new springs and IIRC one type rusted less than another so ultimately that's what I went with. I would wipe the new spring end-to-end with CLP (that's all I had at the time) and install it.

I was never much into the spring thing beyond this. Having a correct-length spring and a Magpul follower always seemed to matter more than what the spring was made out of, at least in terms of performance. I think the rust issue was more about material, and so that's what I remember focusing on.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I did do something different though. I sold my pre-ban mags to guys in ban states for the price of replacement NHMTG mags. I remember what it used to be like scrounging for pre-ban mags.
    I have thought about doing this in the past, even for a profit, but until today I was unsure where these magazines were. I may follow your lead though if someone needs them.

I'll also have to check the date codes. I suspect some of these may have fallen into the "not pre-ban but still GI used" category due to the way I came by most of them working at the shop. The owners would often turn down magazines dated after the ban because there wasn't much we could do with them in that environment.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    My next purchase will be a ten pack of aluminum 30 round mags with may pull followers. I've been eying them from a few distributors for around $85.

I've never used the ranger plates but have used the original magpul bottoms.

What is it you like about the ranger base plates? They look more compact than the old school pulls.

Over the years I've replaced all of my green and black followers with magpul followers. A few here and there when I place an order.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 05-15-11 at 12:35.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    If you guys are looking to get rid of your Pmags, if they are in good shape, let me know.

Feedback Score
    This sounds good. How about adding up a tally of how many Labelle, Adventureline, Parsons, Colt and Center Industries mags you have in the mix?? I have one or 2 marked Adventureline, one Center Ind, a battered yet functional Parsons and maybe one Labelle.

Page 1 of 107 1231151101 ... LastLast