Page 106 of 107 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1066

Thread: Move back to GI magazines - a journey

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Myself, I pretty much stopped at around 112 USGI style mags of different configurations - Okay, D&H, Palmetto (whoever made them) and Brownells. I do have some Tango Downs and a Troy Battle Mag, but that's it.

Why 112? I have Fat 50 ammo cans and they hold 28 each. My thoughts are that if I roll through over 3,000 rounds without having a chance to reload it is time to go to Jesus.
    Yeah, if they getcha after you run out of ammo, you dun all you could

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    More importantly than simply running out of ammo, is a potential magazine ban.

Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Yeah, if they getcha after you run out of ammo, you dun all you could

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I picked up three new GI magazines yesterday at a Gun Show. New, still in wrapper, green followers. At ten bucks a pop, it looked like a fair deal to me.
    I've now got a even split between Magpul and Okay/GI magazines and I'm running out of room for them.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    More importantly than simply running out of ammo, is a potential magazine ban.
    Agreed. I stocked up on NHMTG and Okay 30s and 20s three years ago, before the election craze.

Interestingly, a 18qt Steralite containers fit thirty 30s and ten 20s like they were made for it.

Feedback Score
    Can anyone suggest a place that sells new condition GI/mil-spec mags with the old green followers for a decent price?

I've been looking for a while and haven't seen anything (at a decent price).

Thanks.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    Can anyone suggest a place that sells new condition GI/mil-spec mags with the old green followers for a decent price?

I've been looking for a while and haven't seen anything (at a decent price).

Thanks.

Joe Mamma
    Hey man, I’ll check at home, I may have some followers you can have.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    botach occasionally, though you can get improved magpul followers in the current okay mags for 10/$100

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Brownells would be the only place that I could think of that still has green followers. Green followers have been out of production for the better part of a decade now.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve had good results with Brownells green follower mags. My unit bought a pallet of them to use for a speedball. We all used that as an opportunity to replace our other mags and I don’t know of any complaints. The ones I snatched ended up with magpul followers down the road and are still among my favorites.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    For me, I am not sure what this mag does that other mags I have don't already do.
    I think it's purely an effort to catch up with the popular polymer mags by adding grip texture - the only really complaint that anyone ever has about GI mags (that they can be slippery). I'm guessing the new follower may be a veiled effort to stop paying money to Magpul for every mag Okay produces, but they may also feel that they have an improved design.

I could have done without giant "SUREFEED" lettering on the side of the mag, but marketing is always important.

I miss living in an area (NoVA and Central TX) with big gun shows. I always enjoy picking out cheap used GI mags and upgrading them, with an occasional old pre-ban mag in the bunch. The smaller shows want to charge $10 for used mags or $15-$20 for new ones (with Colt always being more expensive).

Page 106 of 107 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107 LastLast