Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Move back to GI magazines - a journey

Feedback Score
    Paint with stencils? In my mags above I incorporate numbers within the camo. Most people can't see the numbering until I point it out, but that is just how I number mine. You could do the same without the camo and perhaps use whatever size numbers you want. It lasts pretty well. You could perhaps stencil small numbering near the base?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    You may already know but, 44Mag sells NHMTG mags with Magpul followers installed for $12.99.
    Yep, but I already stocked up on a large quantity of yellow Magpul followers.

Feedback Score
    For something a bit more permanent, I have seen guys do a shallow engraving of the baseplate or the spine of the mag.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    While we're at it, I'm going to need to source more Range Plates than I currently have. I like to use the plates themselves to indicate the ammo that they contain within. This is a system I've been using for a long time that I'd like to expand on.

With the good guy pricing the Ranger Plates are $5.64/ea+ shipping from Brownells or $6.32 shipped from 44mag.com, and my guess is that's going to work out to about the same thing either way. I'm in the market for ~20 OD Green.

Feedback Score
    My first two deployments to Iraq, I used regular GI magazines with black and green followers. I didn't know the difference then, but the magazines worked fine for the most part. The highest volume of rounds fired was in pre-deployment training for my second deployment and CQB training during, probably about 5000 rounds over a few months. I experienced a few bolt-over-base malfunctions, more than I would have liked.

Preparing to deploy this year I was a lot more knowledgeable about ARs and magazines, mostly from personal ownership and research. I am currently in Afghanistan and all of the magazines on my kit are USGI with Magpul followers. I cleaned and inspected all of my magazines while replacing the followers and gauged the feed lips, throwing away ones out of spec. I also numbered my magazines this time intending to track malfunctions, but so far I haven't had a single magazine-related one. I also have a couple Pmags which I use on the range for comparison, as well as a USGI magazine with the new tan follower that I found. So far the USGI with Magpul follower, USGI as-issued with tan follower, and Pmag are all running with 100% reliability.

I like Pmags, but USGI with Magpul or tan followers are serving with great success as well. They should not be discounted.

Feedback Score
    Definitely interested in this thread. I live in a ban state, and have a box of pre bans. I get mag envy some times of you guys in free America.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Next step is to pull the floorplates from the mags in the middle (these are the batch with the high frontstap from the first post) and install them and the yellow followers on the right into the virgin NHMTG mags on the left.

I also found four OD Ranger plates I will install as well. I forgot the Ranger plates were two-piece though so I still need to dig up the inner parts.

Going to get these set up tonight over a cigar hopefully.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Rob, I sent you an email about ranger plates.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What an interesting subject. A guy I work with says plastic mags are for girls, maybe he's right. Still, I love my Lancers L5 and I'm looking forward to getting the new AWM from Lancer. But my favorite magazines have always been my 30-round USGI magazines I rebuilt.

I picked up about a two dozen USGI mags from a gunshow, out of a box with hundreds of magazines I took the ones with the best bodies. All were OKay Industries, with a couple of Colt bodies mixed in (still made by Okay). I added yellow MagPul followers and MagPul L-plates and new springs. I don't know what it is about the USGI mags but they just seem "right." I like the bright yellow follower for doing a quick visual check through the ejection port when out of ammo, and the L-plates are a nice touch compared to the usual USGI floorplates and I didn't need the loops offered by the ranger plates.

My only gripe is that with the L-plates I can't lock a 30-round-loaded mag on a closed bolt. If I swap out the MagPul follower for a green USGI, or I swap out the L-plate for the standard USGI floorplate, I can lock the mag in with 30 rounds, but with the MagPul follower/L-plate combination I can't. I don't like loading my mags to only 28 or 29 rounds so I refuse to do that. I don't feel it's necessary to tamper with the followers to get it to work because in practice I always insert the mag on an open bolt so it's a non-issue for me. Just something to take note of (I don't see people run the L-plates often anyways).
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 05-15-11 at 15:37. Reason: Removed paragraph irrelevant to the discussion.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't want to turn the discussion down that path but I load Pmags and GI to 28 anyway so the capacity thing has never been an incentive or disincentive either way for me.
    Last edited by rob_s; 05-15-11 at 15:37.

Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast