Page 96 of 107 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: Move back to GI magazines - a journey

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brushy bill View Post
    I'd shorten the list to NHMTG & D&H for commercial unless you're going with Colt (which I believe may be another name for NHMTG). ...
    ---------------------------------------------

From what we've been through in the last panic, IMO, your choices are safe. NHMTG, Okay, and Colt are the same but prices will vary with a Colt stamping.
    As posted earlier, the NHMTG, Okay, & Colt will have a Cage Code # of 33710.

Colts will have "Colt" stamped on the floorplate and the body. A few months ago, when I saw several Colt mags going for $50 each, there were GS dealers? putting Colt floorplates on nameless (& no Cage Codes) mag bodies ...and Colt stamped mag bodies with nameless floorplates.
    So, this way they were getting the money for 2 Colt mags.

The last few Colts I've seen had P-Mags.

Feedback Score
    This thread led me to order some of these a while back:
    http://www.44mag.com/product/nhmtg_m...follower/nhmtg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    This thread led me to order some of these a while back:
    http://www.44mag.com/product/nhmtg_m...follower/nhmtg
    That's a nice price, it's cheaper than what I've been picking up the BCM marked D&H mags for.

I also saw the Colt mags going for ridiculous prices at a gun show a few weeks ago. I saw anywhere from $50-$75 just because of the floor plate on it.
    "My craving is, and always has been, to be involved in actions conducted to ensure America remains strong, safe, and free of those who have its destruction as their goal."
    - Billy Waugh

"When you enter a room full of armed men, shoot the first person who moves, hostile or otherwise. He has started to think and is therefore dangerous."
    - Robert "Paddy" Mayne

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    3ACR, have you experienced any problems with yours outside of attaching Ranger Plates? Any feeding issues or follower problems?
    I finally had a chance to get to the range yesterday and test my three NHMTG mags that were a really tight fit when installing MagPal Ranger plates. They functioned flawlessly with 28 rounds of Federal XM193 in each. I'd like to run them through a couple more times, but I don't expect to see any problems with them. Just be aware that it might seem like the Ranger plates aren't going to fit when you first try to install them.

For what it's worth, I also used two older used Okay mags with MagPul followers and Ranger plates, as well as two PMAG M2s and a 20 rd PMAG M3. In the spirit of Robb's ammo / mag organization that he described a couple years ago at the beginning of this thread, I decided to use black PMAGs and GI mags with black Ranger plates for XM193, OD green for M855 (green for Green Tips, of course), and FDE for my Gold Dot home defense ammo. That will make the HD mags readily identifiable.

Dave
    Last edited by 3ACR_Scout; 11-17-13 at 13:12.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I hate to wake a slumbering thread but... After reading through these pages a few months ago, I decided to run both Pmags and GI mags and see if anything stuck out one way or another. Until I read this thread, all my mags were Gen2 Pmags. So I used it as an educational excuse to buy some GI mags and some more Pmags. The GI mags were NHMTG and D&H, all with magpul followers. All the mags I've run have fed rounds perfectly, using about a dozen of each mag. I also used both Gen2 and Gen3 Pmags.

The only problems I noticed, if you want to call them problems, were the Gen2 Pmags will not drop free of my Colt 6920 lower. They do drop free from my other rifles(two Spike's lowers, two Aero lowers, a Rock River lower). The Gen3 Pmags dropped free of this same Colt lower. The GI mags all dropped free from all rifles. Not a huge deal. I like the Gen3 mags better anyway, they're just a little slimmer than the Gen2.

The other issue I noticed is when shooting prone using the mag as a rest, the GI mags can get grass, mud, dirt, and gravel lodged between the mag body and the floor plate. They seem to dig in a little more from the recoil. Did not seem to be an issue with the Pmags. Simply pulling the floor plates and quick wipe with a rag was all that was required. Not huge issues here. The D&H seemed a little more prone to it than the NHMTG.

Bottom line: I got to shoot my guns a lot, with different mags, running 2,500 plus rounds through them. In conditions ranging from -5 to 95, rain, snow, dropping them in the mud etc. All of them fed rounds 100% reliably. It was a great! Go test your stuff!

Feedback Score
    Keep on shootin'!

Time will tell with the Pmags.

I was just using a late 90s Safariland holster that still had the thumbsnap vs. the thumb drive.

Thumb strap was all brittle and breaking. Was fine a few months ago to the naked eye and use.

Just shot a pair of Colt marked 20 rounders I bought with my first AR over 30 years ago and they worked fine.

I hope to be shooting my Pmags 30 years from now and they work fine vs. being brittle.

I will post on this thread if they are.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm curious where things stand, now...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    US GI mags rule.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    You posted that question on the 34th page of a thread about USGI mags, in which you can't swing a dead cat without bouncing it off of a mention of some-or-other brand, side-by-side photo comparisons of feed lips, followers, date-stamps, and the like.

One could say that it's been addressed.

Thanks for not starting a whole new thread centered around that, like tons of others would, but you might consider going over...reading, not skimming...the previous 33 pages of info in this thread.

Jamming "USGI+magazines+other filtering keyword(s) here" into the orange Search button in the page header.
    LOL! LOL! - Since someone resurrected this one, I've spent 3 freaking hours reading this thread - so far I'm on page 68 - you made reference to 34th page on page 68 -apparently the forum format changed since 10-29-11.

So far a couple of useful things, an additional report will follow in another, hour or two.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-14-15 at 11:24.

Feedback Score
    Never understood the angry debates. Nothing wrong with USGI mags. Use green or orange follows for best results. USGI mags are cheap and plentiful. If the mag is surplus, and looks beat to hell, toss it. Problem solved, have a nice day.
    Last edited by SeaDonkey; 05-14-15 at 11:45.

Page 96 of 107 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast