Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Taking my first carbine course ... looking for some gear pointers.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    And an intelligent person can take what applies from handgun along with some basic instruction in manipulation and have the carbine singing in no time. The reverse is not the case.
    Not what you asked, but if someone asked me "I'm planning on attending my first carbine class, what should I take?" I would respond with "a handgun class first".
    We have come to the same conclusion over the last ten years. Before I take any of my crew to Pat's classes, they get the Defensive Handgun Class from Sheriff Ken Campbell at The Boone County Sheriff's Office. Then, if offered, Pat's Pistol 2, followed by Carbine Operator Course.

In preparing for COC 2 next week for six of us, we are spending more time (and ammunition) on the pistol. Carbine work-up is mostly malfunction clearance review and multiple two-round iterations of the Mod Navy Qual at 50 yards as it integrates everything. We're using an M&P 15-22 inside 25 yards for shooting on the move and multiple targets.
    Last edited by Submariner; 07-08-11 at 13:56. Reason: Dropped comment on carbine as "toy."
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I'm coming from the perspective of competition more than training classes, but I much prefer a soft-brimmed hat like a boonie hat over a baseball cap or other cap.

For one thing, your ears do get sunburned more easily with just a baseball cap, and the hard bill can get dinged and bumped surprisingly easily. I always make sure the chin strap on the boonie hat is drawn up into the hat as far as possible, then I tuck it under the hat so it is behind my ears and dangling down the back of my neck so it is out of the way.

Whatever shoes or boots you might think you want to wear, make sure they are well broken in and suitable for standing/walking/running in for long periods of time. I was surprised to find that shoes I thought were comfortable to wear every day turned out to be torture instruments when you have to be on your feet all day.

Lots of good info in this thread.
    Being in Arizona, I much prefer a wide-brimmed boonie hat versus a baseball cap. It helps to keep the face, ears, and neck protected from the sun. I get mine a bit big so it fits over the ear-pro.
    Last edited by uwe1; 07-08-11 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    We have come to the same conclusion over the last ten years. Before I take any of my crew to Pat's classes, they get the Defensive Handgun Class from Sheriff Ken Campbell at The Boone County Sheriff's Office. Then, if offered, Pat's Pistol 2, followed by Carbine Operator Course.

In preparing for COC 2 next week for six of us, we are spending more time (and ammunition) on the pistol. Carbine work-up is mostly malfunction clearance review and multiple two-round iterations of the Mod Navy Qual at 50 yards as it integrates everything. We're using an M&P 15-22 inside 25 yards for shooting on the move and multiple targets.
    That sounds like a good plan.

I don't regret any of the choices I made, but I would have taken things in a different order had I had the luxury and time to cherry pick. At the time, I had made up my mind that I was going to get some training and Pat's class filled so many requirements. It was close to home and only a two day course taking place on wednesday and thursday. Tucson doesn't get many top tier instructors, so I decided to make it happen.

Prior to getting that first training course, I was just wasting money buying accessories I didn't need, or thought I needed. Man, have things changed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gold Bond. I will definitely be Goldbonding at my next class.
    Last edited by lebowski; 07-29-11 at 10:53.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567