View Poll Results: Optic, now or later?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy it now, start practicing with both optics and irons

102 75.56%
  • Wait until you get formal training

33 24.44%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barely know how to shoot an AR15, should I buy an optic regardless?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That was very well said . If it makes you more reliable to take down (a Bad guy) and portect your family then that's what you need to do get a RDS. That doesn't mean you can't go to the range and use your BUIS if you wanted to. Just do what you think and put alot of lead down range....

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    Rob hit the nail on the head and buried it in the wood with that post.

When something does go bump in the night you want the deck stacked in your favor. Since you already have a good light on your carbine buying an Aimpoint of some sort makes perfect sense for a rifle that you are going to use for HD duty. Shop around and look on the EE here for some good deals. Here is one:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81098

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    BUY IT!!!

Dive right into that electronic crutch!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Get yourself an Aimpoint, co-witness it with your irons and learn to use both.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

-C S Lewis

Feedback Score
    I'm taking drivers ed next month...do you guys think I should buy a supercharger or learn to drive a standard transmission? My car is a manual of course, but I really think I need something faster ASAP.

I plan on becoming a pilot soon. Should I buy a Learjet or hold out for the space shuttle? Thanks for the help guys.

Amazing that this thread has lasted.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    I'm taking drivers ed next month...do you guys think I should buy a supercharger or learn to drive a standard transmission? My car is a manual of course, but I really think I need something faster ASAP.

I plan on becoming a pilot soon. Should I buy a Learjet or hold out for the space shuttle? Thanks for the help guys.
    Apples and orangutangs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Apples and orangutangs.
    Yeah, learning fundamentals before adding performance enhancers is completely unrelated to this thread. Hey guys, I plan on starting a weight lifting program soon. What kind of 'roids should I use with my first cycle? I want to be really strong.

Should I buy a yellow visor to match my escalade or should I just keep rocking the "cocked" hat?
    Last edited by RTA; 05-17-11 at 09:14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandPooba View Post
    New to rifle shooting. I've been shooting handguns for a few years. I just got my AR a few months ago and really have taught myself the basics by trying to translate my experience with handguns over to rifles. However, I did sign up for an Appleseed shoot this summer to really get the basics down (with my 10/22). I would also like to take a defensive carbine course this year.
    Rob's post pretty much put the debate between irons & scopes to bed.

I am a little concerned how you are currently training with the rifle. I would stop using a rest when shooting until you feel comfortable with the rifle. It seems like a lot of people get wrapped around the axle about BZO, MOA, tight groups, and so on. This really gets magnified when a scope is put on the rifle and all of a sudden the shooter wants to be Gunny Hathcock.

The 25 yards that the club limits you to should be good to go for what you may need in a HD situation, you probably don't have an unobstructed shot over 25 yards inside your house. With that said, barely knowing how to shoot your rifle is not a good mindset to have.

Have you worked on clearing the weapon under low or no light situations?

If you don't have snap caps, you should probably invest in a couple of packs. You can practice clearing with them inside your most likely area of employment. When doing this, DO NOT have live ammo anywhere near you, the weapon or in the same room.

As for the rifle rest at the range, you should think about avoiding it if possible. It isn't going to help you in you current scheme of employment with the rifle. Look around your house and figure out likely areas where you could be engaging from.....what are the likely 'stances' that you will be using? A combination of sitting, kneeling, kinchee squat, prone, off hand........? Whatever the stance is, if you are presenting yourself like we do on the range...you are giving the badguy a good target to engage. Getting low and in a stance that looks like a pile of laundry could give you the extra second that you need to engage. It also makes it harder for the badguy to see you and you find it easier to 'silhoutte' him.

You should probably clearly define what you think home defense is. Getting the family into a safe area and defending it as Rob posted is exactly what my plan is. The tricky part is getting the family into one room that is defendable...this is why you need to identify likely areas of employment. Once the family is in the safe area....you can bring out the rifle rest and wait in ambush for the badguy.

If you idea of HD is to locate, close with, and destroy the badguy by fire and maneuver, or to repel the badguy's assault by fire and close combat...you probably ain't doing your family any good. Something that we used to push on Embassy & Security Forces duty was to locate the badguy, secure his egress and wait for the CQB bubbas to come get him. Even though we knew the buildings better than anyone else.....we still had other duties that would not allow us to train to the level of expertise that no kidding CQB bubbas got.

Something else to keep in mind, you mentioned that you have a KISS rifle....you didn't mention the manufacture. Have you looked at Rob's chart? Where does your rifle fit into the chart?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post

Amazing that this thread has lasted.

More appropriate would be learning to drive the manual trans or just going with the automatic. Guess what, autos requires less thought and quality new autos get better mileage now too.
    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. ~Edward F. Croker

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsgard View Post

More appropriate would be learning to drive the manual trans or just going with the automatic. Guess what, autos requires less thought and quality new autos get better mileage now too.
    Comprehend what you read, then post.

In the analogy, the existing car is already a manual.

I'm not even sure what the hell the rest of your post means. Is this thread now about manual versus automatics? Because perimeter frames are generally stronger than unibody construction. Take that.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast