Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DDM4V3 range report

Feedback Score

DDM4V3 range report

All,
    Just when you thought you had everything....another range report!
    Yesterday I took my brand new DDM4V3 (midlength Fixed iron sights) to the range. I shot approximatley 500 rounds of different manufacturers ammo, brass cased included Rem 55gr, Fed XM193, PMC bronze and some unknown 55gr (looks like eastern european). Steel cased was Tula 55gr and Wolf 55gr. Magazines were from BCM, Orlite, Magpul, Brownells (tan 20 round) C Products and D&H Industries. I "borrowed" a VTAC sling from my S&W for the standing portion of range time.
    The rifle is going to be used for HD, plinking and some day, some classes. The fit and finish of the DD was as expected. Only a small rattle with the gas tube (normal correct??)

I used iron sights only (FSB and DD A1.5 rear) and zeroed at 100yrds. I took me quite a while and a few rounds to get to a satisfactory point. I had to lower the FS much more than I expected and I monkeyed with the rear sight way too much (facepalm)

Once I got rounds on paper, I went loaded magazine after magazine and ran it. All except 2 Fail to feed events happened with the brass cased ammo (this was magazine related, the Brownells 20 round, which has been marked and segregated). I was pleased with the performance so far. With the brass cased ammo supply extinguished, I continued with the steel case and thats when the trouble started.
    About every 3rd round in any steel cased ammo magazine, I got a Fail to extract. Most of the cases were stuck HARD in the chamber and this required a cleaning rod inserted from the muzzle end and some tapping to get the case out. I noticed that the extracted case had a small portion of the rim broken off. (extractor issue??)

After the 3rd or 4th magazine of this, I contemplated ending the range session as the Fail to Extract stuff was becoming a pain. I used a chamber brush a couple of times and lubed the BCG.

Overall, I was pleased with the rifle. It ran very well with the brass and group size wasn't too bad (I know, I need more trigger time).
    I was disappointed with the steel case problem though. I have never seen so many Fail to Extract, especially with a brand new rifle. I am sure that the problem was the ammo. I am glad I found out the trouble at this session and not at a class or HD situation. I know now not to use the steel stuff for either of those 2 situations.

Some questions I have thought about:
    Could shooting steel case first before brass have helped my FTE problem??
    Why would it take so long to get on paper?? (other than operator error )

Any thoughts, comments or questions are most welcome.
    Thank you for reading.
    Duece.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My DDXV had issues with (wolf, bear) steal case ammo until I switched lube to Mobile 1 20/50w engine oil. Since then I have had 0 issues shooting ONLY this ammo (~2k rounds now). I haven't cleaned the rifle in 1500+ rounds and only apply oil ~500 rounds or so.

Congrats on your rifle!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Deuce,
    Congrats on a great rifle. I have a DDm4v1 and v5. The v5 is brand new and only has 200 rounds through it, all brass. The v1 has about 800 rounds of primarily brass. I was disappointed that it didn't run Tula or Wolf reliably, then I found a thread on here that the bcg needed to be wet. I added a little extra oil and shot 100 rounds flawlessly. I've also read on here not to mix the brass and steel when shooting. I'll try it on the middy this weekend.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Guys,
    Thanks for your responses. I know about the whole Brass vs Steel situation. I thought that some people did mix when shooting? I think you are right Eric, next time I will try some Steel cased and ONLY use it and see what happens. I lubed the BCG liberally and it still had the Fail to Extract problems. Steel cased ammo seemed to be loaded to a lesser degree as far as the powder charge was concerned. Much less recoil may not be such a good thing, especially if reliable feeding is the desire.

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle Deuce, it's one on my purchase list as well. I have a DD M4V1 and have only run it with 10w/30 Mobile 1 and have had no issue with FTEs at all shooting either steel or brass and running both in the same session. Definitely try applying more lube, I think this may alleviate your issue. Let us know how it goes. Have a good one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbyrd556 View Post
    Nice rifle Deuce, it's one on my purchase list as well. I have a DD M4V1 and have only run it with 10w/30 Mobile 1 and have had no issue with FTEs at all shooting either steel or brass and running both in the same session. Definitely try applying more lube, I think this may alleviate your issue. Let us know how it goes. Have a good one.
    For my rifle at least, it wasn't even "more lube", once I changed to Mobile 1 it will shoot any ammo (mixing or not steel / brass) EVERY shot, 0 failures.

Feedback Score
    Ok, I will go the motor oil route next time at the range. Thanks to all.

Feedback Score
    I've had FTEs using Tula 55 grain with my DD. But I've shot > 1,000 rounds of silver bear out of it without a hitch. I use CLP.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    wait a minute, wait just a fricking minute!

this guy has failures to extract with hard stuck cases, ripping pieces of the rim off the case and the general consensus seems to be the amount or type of LUBE???

this is exactly the type of crap responses that cause people here to become unhinged. I'm not with the rest of the crowd where the slightest deviation in component choice is cause for ridicule but this is ridiculous.

there is a difference between opinion and misinformation and IMO, this just couldn't be any more misguided. it is the unwillingness to allow any of this type of BS that makes this site valuable and while some get off track defending that, this is one of the times it's warranted.

now, if anyone can explain how lube has anything to do with the OP problems, I'd be willing to listen. However, if you can't prove it, you better be quick with a retraction and apology. for my part, I will do the same...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    wait a minute, wait just a fricking minute!

this guy has failures to extract with hard stuck cases, ripping pieces of the rim off the case and the general consensus seems to be the amount or type of LUBE???

this is exactly the type of crap responses that cause people here to become unhinged. I'm not with the rest of the crowd where the slightest deviation in component choice is cause for ridicule but this is ridiculous.

there is a difference between opinion and misinformation and IMO, this just couldn't be any more misguided. it is the unwillingness to allow any of this type of BS that makes this site valuable and while some get off track defending that, this is one of the times it's warranted.

now, if anyone can explain how lube has anything to do with the OP problems, I'd be willing to listen. However, if you can't prove it, you better be quick with a retraction and apology. for my part, I will do the same...
    I think you are right. I can't lube the chamber or the cases and yes, my FTEs were HARD stuck cases with bits of the rim of said cases ripped off when I finaly did get the stuck case out of the chamber.
    Could I switch my sequence of shooting brass case vs steel case?? Is there a "brake in" period to which steel cased ammo will run reliably??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast