Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Composite Free Floating Rail system?

Feedback Score

Composite Free Floating Rail system?

I would like to know why Free floating rail are made by expensive material like Aluminum?

Is it possible to redesign the AR free floating rail using composite material?

The requirements of composite free floating rail

1. Extremely light weight
    2. Harder than Aluminum alloy.
    3. Possibility of injecting color into the manufacturing process, hence scratch proof.
    4. 100% not bendable, extreme rigid.
    5. Very low heat conductivity
    6. Very Low electricity conductivity
    7. Durable and reliable
    8. Cheaper than conventional Aluminum rail systems.
    Last edited by cptm4; 05-16-11 at 16:36.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    There are some available made of carbon fiber. Is that not what you want?

ETA: I think they're all only available in black though.
    Last edited by SteveL; 05-15-11 at 14:47.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    There are some available made of carbon fiber. Is that not what you want?

ETA: I think they're all only available in black though.
    I was wondering why composite free floating rails are not as common as aluminum free floating rails?
    Last edited by cptm4; 05-15-11 at 14:48.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cptm4 View Post
    I was wondering why composite free floating rails are not as common as aluminum free floating rails?
    Come up with a great design, patent it, find someone to manufacture it, and have all the money you'd ever want for ammo.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Biggest reason? At some point it has to integrate with metal, and that joint historically becomes a problem. The first carbon fiber BMX bikes ALWAYS failed as the pipe ends where they transitioned into metal.

On the AR handguard at some point you have to have a metal nut. how you join the composite to the metal is the weak point in the system. The old carbon fiber tube handguards weighed more than a 4-rail aluminum system because of that big-ass nut.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, I'm surprised we haven't seen polymer rails yet that are molded around metal frames similar to handguns.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    That would actually be a great idea. Something purpose built.
    If the nut has to be aluminum couldn't the receiving threads on the rail be incorporated as a solid pieces of rod like aluminum running the whole length of the rail kind of like rebar in concrete?(like dylan said)
    It would have added weight from that but the overall weight would be much lighter.
    maybe I just dont know but id buy something like that, I hate heavy rails.
    Last edited by Jaysop; 05-15-11 at 18:25.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDylan View Post
    Honestly, I'm surprised we haven't seen polymer rails yet that are molded around metal frames similar to handguns.
    Something like the ARMS SIR?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    My reasoning is: US marines have been using polymer non free floating handguard since 60', I simply ask why not composite free floating handguard.

Feedback Score
    You made a valid point. I want to points out that carbon fiber is simply one of many many many composite materials. There are many amazing new composite materials (PlumCrazy composite lower come to mind) would be perfect for this purpose.

As for the joint issue, why not design a aluminum cup that would encapsulate one end of the composite rail, the aluminum cup would be function as a reinforced bridge between the receiver and the composite rail. It could be even design in a way that the aluminum cup simple secure the composite rail in place using nothing but pressure, friction or other means without the needs of any screw holes on the composite rail system.

Nowadays we see all rail systems are based on a simple one piece design made by a single material of Aluminum alloy. I think why not a more complex design that would utilize both Aluminum and composite materials to create a rail system that could achieve the best of both world (with the properties I mentioned in the first post).

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Biggest reason? At some point it has to integrate with metal, and that joint historically becomes a problem. The first carbon fiber BMX bikes ALWAYS failed as the pipe ends where they transitioned into metal.

On the AR handguard at some point you have to have a metal nut. how you join the composite to the metal is the weak point in the system. The old carbon fiber tube handguards weighed more than a 4-rail aluminum system because of that big-ass nut.
    Last edited by cptm4; 05-15-11 at 19:37.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast