Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of 36 yard zero

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Talk me out of 36 yard zero

I've read through most pages of the zero threads.

It's 2018, talk me out of a 36 yard zero.

I'm going to be shooting a 14.5" spikes barrel at ranges to 125 yards and this rifle will be for home defense. I'll be using a vortex uh1.

I know most people here were big fans of the 100 yard zero. Does this still hold true or are people changing?

Feedback Score
    I do think you’d be better served by a zero at 100 or the 50yd zero.

The ranges you’d be shooting your rifle to, with limited exposure targets, you wouldn’t have to think if you’re going to be too high or too low. Just center the dot/sights/crosshairs in the available target area and score a hit.

The 100 has always made the most sense to me because it forces you to hold high in CQB, and hold high when you get past 200.

At the end of the day, pick your zero, shoot at various ranges and learn what your offset is at each distance. Practice accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    At the end of the day, pick your zero, shoot at various ranges and learn what your offset is at each distance. Practice accordingly.
    This.

Not gonna talk you out of anything.

Make a decision and live with it, not needing the approval of anyone else.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Biggest disadvantage is that @ 125 you'll be about 3.7 high, about 4.5 at 150, the highest point. (XM193) (XM885 essentially the same)

With the 100 yard zero, you are essentially never above line of sight, and at 200 yards you are about 2.7ish low, and it drops pretty steadily thereafter.

With 50 yard zero, you are less than 1.60 high at 125 yards and intersect line of sight again at 219 yards.

After listening to more knowledgeable folks on here, I generally run 100 yard zeros for scopes with BDC reticles, and 50 yard zero for red dots.

Here is a good link, I copied and saved this article a while back: https://azrifleman.com/basic-rifle-m...sts-and-zeros/
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I am a firm believer in a 50 yard zero for a home defence rifle. No more than a couple of inches high or low from the muzzle out to 225-250. No thinking needed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm a big fan of the 50/200 zero with the right optic. If the optic has a BDC I roll with what the manufacturer recommends for that reticle. I like the 50/200 because of it's flatness to 300 yds. 1.5" high at 100 yds and about 8" low at 300 yds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Im a big fan of the 50/200 (which is more like 50/225 most of the time) zero for real use carbine use. Its aim center mass, hit center mass, from 0 to 300 yards.

While a 36/300 yard zero is great for open land, I find it to have a higher than wanted POI over POA in the 75-150 yard range for a CQB type gun. If you are planning on shooting the majority of time within 125 yards I dont see a benefit of a 36/300 zero and actually see some decent minuses for it.
    Last edited by C-grunt; 06-06-18 at 15:50. Reason: POI changed to POA
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    While a 36/300 yard zero is great for open land, I find it to have a higher than wanted POI over POI in the 75-150 yard range for a CQB type gun. If you are planning on shooting the majority of time within 125 yards I dont see a benefit of a 36/300 zero and actually see some decent minuses for it.
    Great summary.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Im a big fan of the 50/200 (which is more like 50/225 most of the time) zero for real use carbine use. Its aim center mass, hit center mass, from 0 to 300 yards.

While a 36/300 yard zero is great for open land, I find it to have a higher than wanted POI over POA in the 75-150 yard range for a CQB type gun. If you are planning on shooting the majority of time within 125 yards I dont see a benefit of a 36/300 zero and actually see some decent minuses for it.
    See. This is why I love this site.

I figured I'd ask opinions before going out tomorrow. I've only put 100 or so rounds through an AR before. I spend a lot of time with pistols (work reasons.)

Looking forward to this. Thanks. I'll be looking at holds tonight.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I prefer simplicity, so I run a 100M zero for basically everything except irons. This way I never have to worry about holdunders, only holdover. Jack Leuba (aka Failure2Stop) with Knight's Armament did a compelling write-up for the 100M zero that convinced me of it's utility.

Zen of the 100M Zero

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast