Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Manufacturing AM-15M416 Review

Feedback Score
    yes, as a general rule if there are no markings on the buffer, it is a carbine buffer

as for the overall "quality" of the rifle, I would be VERY disappointed if I were you. Its good that they tried to make right the worst of the wrongs, but there are still MANY more that should never have been there in the first place.

if they are going to earn their place among the top tier AR manufacturers they are going to have to shift their thinking to meet the high demands of the consumer market
    this is one of the biggest understatements I have read in a while IMO. Based on what I see here, I thing one would be better off or at least as good going with an RRA or Bushmaster

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texascoqui View Post

Honestly, as a machinist, I wouldn't have sold that Upper. It drives me crazy to see "chatter" marks on parts.

Years ago when I started in this trade an owner of the company I worked at told me "workmanship" is the last line on every Quality Control sheet. It's just as important to have a nice looking part as a dimensionally good part.

Mike in MN
    Affiliated with RangeAR - The Range Tool Company
    Hope this makes me Legal

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    To be quite honest I did not find any positives but some big negatives. No I don’t consider the coating a big plus. I would rather have known good parts that were assembled properly. Its one thing for the home builder to use an A3 upper with an M4 ramped barrel, it is quite other for a manufacture to do so. For the money you spent you could have gotten a very nice carbine from a company that knows what it is doing.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yikes! $1150 for that is just a flat out ripoff.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    According to this video, the RF85 stuff increases the cyclic rate of fire of an AR-15 by 23%. Taken by itself, this is not a good thing.

And frankly, I question the veracity of this claim. The videos were clearly taken with a Casio high speed camera like mine, which is a consumer-grade item, and I would think that Oak Ridge National Laboratory would have better equipment than I do.

In the video, we see the "untreated" BCG slow down rapidly when it encounters the top round in the mag, and then bounce off the barrel extension. The "treated" BCG doesn't slow down and doesn't bounce. This is not the behavior of an identically-configured rifle firing substantially similar ammunition, with the only variable change being less friction. Note that the "untreated" BCG was relatively clean and lubricated with CLP. Again, it did not behave as such.

Using their stated cycling time of 108 milliseconds for the untreated BCG, plus my own observations of 12ms between shots on full auto using an M16A1 FCG, the "untreated" rifle cycled at exactly 500rpm. Their stated cycle time for the treated BCG was 83ms, which gives us a cyclic ROF of 638rpm. Both of these are low for a standard M4 type weapon firing 5.56mm ammunition, or even the same weapon firing weak .223 ammunition.

Finally, I observed some video skipping in the "untreated" BCG. I've never had this problem with my several Casio high speed cameras. It occurs right as the bolt is moving into battery. If this was a video error, the test would definitely need to be redone.

In fact, basing rate of fire claims on an examination of a single shot is very shaky; the results can vary from shot to shot. I fire 5 or 10 shots on video before making definitive ROF statements.
    Last edited by 87GN; 05-20-11 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think I'd rather use a Bushmaster than that POS.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Anderson Manufacturing has since hired a gunsmith to work within their firearms area..... that would be me.....

the mistakes that went out with this paticular firearm have been addressed and will not show up in the future.

as far as the M4 cuts in the star chamber but not the receiver this is because the barrels are purchased from ER Shaw and that is the star chamber they use and ADM makes the receivers in house.... In non-full auto or burst fire AR's feed ramps cut in the receiver are not needed if you are using a good quality magazine (like the P-mags that come with the rifles we sell).

Thank you OP for the honest review...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    And Colts are going for $200 less.....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by burn View Post

as far as the M4 cuts in the star chamber but not the receiver this is because the barrels are purchased from ER Shaw and that is the star chamber they use and ADM makes the receivers in house....
    Thank you OP for the honest review...
    And ADM can’t cut M4 ramps?
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    And ADM can’t cut M4 ramps?
    It is being discussed for future runs on receivers....

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast