Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A tribute to Carlos Hathcock: Examining the infamous "shot through a scope" shot...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    ... and then watching Mythbusters all but call this humble warrior a liar while trying to confirm or deny this "shot through a scope" kill...
    I'm a Mythbusters fan, but I figured they just got it wrong in that episode. While I never had the honor of meeting GySgt. Hathcock, I have read his book a few times over the years and no way in hell do I believe he so much as embellished a single word in it.

Feedback Score
    Mythbusters LOL bunch of crap

My friend with a chemistry degree watches that show just to debunk it.

As for the Win. Pre-64 Model 70

Well I own one.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15751&page=6

Yep .30-06

Only difference is in the scope.

And I have no doubt he popped that enemy in the eye through the scope. Rifle is sub-MOA feed the right ammo.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score
    I was blown away the first time I saw reports of shooting a NVA sniper through the scope. More recently on the History channel I saw another show about Carlos Hathcock where they duplicated the feat of shooting through a scope. The episode also told the story of Carlos Hathcock shooting a NVA general. It essentially was a suicide mission, but Hathcock got away!. I would like to have met him but never did. I understand he was a trainer for the Virginia Beach Police. I do know a retired Officer who worked with Hathcock.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    After being wildly curious about this topic, and then watching Mythbusters all but call this humble warrior a liar while trying to confirm or deny this "shot through a scope" kill,
    Mythbusters was testing the Saving Private Ryan scene, I thought...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any benchrest shooter will tell you mythbusters got it wrong...that ding-dong just didn't shoot straight on that episode.

Anyway, the amazing part of Hathcock's book (i got a signed copy ) was the patience and distance he traveled in that open field, soiling himself to get in range, make the shot and run like hell for cover.

as a deer hunter, the being still & motionless part for so long would probably have kept me from ever being a sniper if i wanted to...way to wired.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I always thought that the mythbusters major error was the range. I may be totally of base, but one would think that a bullet shot from 100-150 yards would have a better chance of making it through the optic. At such a close range the energy dump upon impact would shatter the glass, and the projectile (or at lease cause some major deflection). For example, when shooting a .223/5.56 in water the projectile barely makes it into the water before denigrating whereas a 45APC could travel much further.

In any event my first thoughts when seeing your video were about our potential enemies. Who would want to invade a country who's citizens take these types of shots for recreation.

TC

On the spreading edge of the butter knife
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This thread is full of win. Nice Job.
    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Great post, thanks for sharing.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    Never personally met him but, my dad's best friend was good pals Carlos for many years....I remember when I was younger, he always talked about him, until later realizing who he actually was. He's deff. a legend

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I did the same thing a few years ago with my 6.5-284. I had a cheap scope that went tits-up. The particular scope I used may have been a bit beefier, but the bullet came out of the erector tube right past the turret housing and exited the main tube right before the eye-piece. Would have been a head shot if somebody were behind the rifle. I wanted to try it two or three times, but didn't feel like shooting up more scopes.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast