Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who made a .40 S&W upper? **Now with Pictures**

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Who made a .40 S&W upper? **Now with Pictures**

So local pawn shop has an upper for sale that I'm curious about. There's no brand markings or name on it. Here's the clues...

- It's an A2 carry handle upper
    - Chambered in .40 S&W
    - There's an extra pin with a spring around it that is in the upper approximately in the middle of the BCG on the underside of the BCG
    - The magazine's are long stick type mags maybe from a SMG that are modified to fit into a standard AR lower and the mags are marked made in Isreal
    - It has around a 10.5 inch barrel with a wierd threaded on flash suppressor/compensator looking thing (doesn't appear factory)

Any thoughts or guesses?
    Last edited by cj5_dude; 05-19-11 at 21:59.
    Police work: If it were easy it would be called your mom.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Rock River Arms and Olympic Arms made them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Based on the pictures on the web it's probably not either of those. The magazines are similar to the RRA ones but the upper is a standard upper and has a normal brass deflector, not the funky one RRA seems to have. And the mags are very different from the Oly Arms one. So I'm guessing it's neither of those. Next guess?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Olympic used that little spring you described as the ejector. It sounds like an upper from the Glock magazine lower carbine made by Olympic. But the mags are probably modified uzi mags, and you'll never really find replacements, especially if they have the mag-block adapter welded to them.
    PM sent to you.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Well I think tacdrivrnc hit it on the head. It's gotta be an Oly Arms upper with modified Uzi mags. After buying it (for a whopping $250 out the door) I took off the ugly compensator type thing on the end. It was threaded on so real easy to take off. Those threads were also threaded on with some sort of adapter. Took that junk off and it looks to be a factory made 10.5 inch barrel with some nice threads on the end. Here's some pics....

Here's the odd compensator type thing that was threaded on in an attempt to make it 16 inches. Looks home made but not known.

Now to figure out that thread pattern to get the right piston for my supressor.
    Last edited by cj5_dude; 05-19-11 at 22:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    yeah, that's what I was thinking...uzi .41AE mags restamped to .40S&W with the welded-on magwell adapter. You "may" be able to get a grease gun magwell block and run grease gun mags (tweak the feedlips to hold .40S&W rounds...works on an uzi anyway)
    you got a good deal, especially if it has more than 1 mag.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Interesting upper. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I used to have a Oly 10mm upper, and the threads were 5/8-24 tpi.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Cleaned it up today and tore down the mags (got 3 of them) and cleaned them up. The barrel is clearly stamped in 2 places that it's chambered in 40 S&W. I can't find any evidence that Olympic Arms ever made the 40 in a 10.5 inch variety but the way the threads are cut it just looks factory. I'm hoping the threads are 9/16x24.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    That's great you ended up with 3 mags. I imagine they will be tough to find.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast