Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about picking up a SCAR 17: any reason not to?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Thinking about picking up a SCAR 17: any reason not to?

Hey guys,

I am thinking about picking up a SCAR 17s to add to the .308 pile. I am going to be selling off my Springfield/Hellenic G3 and some other junk to fund it.

Can you think of any reason not to buy one? I know mags are in short supply, but I have a stack of guns so I won't have a heart attack if I have to wait.

Most of the reviews seem positive, but I imagine most folks who just wrote a $2800 check are loath to say anything bad. Anybody out there have any cons?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Are you buying the rifle just to buy it or is there a specific purpose for it. I dont own one yet but have been considering geting one also. But the more I think about it I cant seem to find a role for this rifle to fill other than a cool looking gun to shoot at the range. I have also been eyeing a Larue Predatar, its just as lightweight, has longer rail, really accurate SS barrel, great trigger, at about $2400.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    "The result of the SCAR-H rollout had a catastrophic effect on the enemy and their morale." - Master Chief Jason Gardner, Task Unit Trident senior enlisted advisor
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Until replacement barrels and easy access to magazines came to pass, I'd pass.
    Just smile.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    To some degree the SCAR-H = AK-47 for rich people.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I plan on getting one soon, but the lack of mags is a bummer.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    I have one, and while the trigger is horrific, at least the mags are nowhere to be found.

I actually really like the rifle quite a bit. It's very light, minimal recoil, has proven reliable, and the modularity is designed well into the system. I won mine at the 2011 Sniper's Hide Cup this year, and we shot the rifle out of a chopper on a stationary target. There were approximately 70 shooters, and about 300+ rounds through the stage. There were no malfunctions, the bolt was spotless, and the rifle held up really well to being banged around a chopper.

I really like the SCAR 17, and the FN team did a great job designing it. I just wish they would find a way to release more mags to the market. I've 5 on backorder through midway.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Hey guys,

I am thinking about picking up a SCAR 17s to add to the .308 pile. I am going to be selling off my Springfield/Hellenic G3 and some other junk to fund it.

Can you think of any reason not to buy one? I know mags are in short supply, but I have a stack of guns so I won't have a heart attack if I have to wait.

Most of the reviews seem positive, but I imagine most folks who just wrote a $2800 check are loath to say anything bad. Anybody out there have any cons?
    Zero reason not to. You think you know about .308s until you spend some time around this one. Low, pleasant recoil, stays clean, no troubles. It's like getting into a new Porsche if all you've known is 60s musclecars.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Mag availability is #1 con.

SCAR has different ergos, not unique to 17s, 16 is the same, and some of them are cons for most people.

Trigger for projected 800 yard gun could be better.

Feedback Score
    Probably the best battle rifle in the world at the moment. Its proven in SOCOM's testing and now the real world.
    Hard not to want one.

The mag issue may be due to SOCOM needing as many mags as it can get right now. The shortage for the civi wolrd is probably for the right reason. Be patient.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast