Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mounting bipod to barrel... good or bad?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Why would you run a foregrip (angled or not) AND a bipod? It's either a CQB OR a target rifle - pick one.
    Not true. Missions and targets can and do change.

Bi-pod/VFG with RDS being used like a target rifle:

-David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    Mission can change, targets can change, not to mention if your like me then the only time you have a clue what your mission and target is is when you go to the range and plan out the day. Honestly if I had to use my carbine for something life and death serious I couldn't nearly100% predict what it would be.

Probably CQB and not going beyond ten yards (home defense) but other than that there could be heavy prone use, kneeling behind cover, or similar events where a bi-pod would be nice.

I will say though I see room to question using both during CQB where the bi-pod adds some extra weight and volume and forward weight at that but when using a bi-pod I rather like having a vertical fore grip and find it better for me to be more stable and "solid".

Feedback Score

barrel mounted bi-pod

just carry a 'sandbag' (the one i use is 4.5"x9"x2" and has a draw string closure) when hunting and fill/empty as needed...bi-pods attached to barrels tend to throw off accuracy for more than one reason.

if CQB is your goal, a bi-pod is usually of little use/value in fast furious fights. OTOH, a one shot occurrence may be useful with a barrel mounted bi-pod.

bi-pods work best when attached to a good, heavy duty, stock that's affixed to a free floated barrel as is attested to by today's modern sniper/target rifles.

it's your choice and you have a lot of them.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    You may want to slow down, breath and do some reading first. Then I would forget what you think you know or heard about the M16 FOW.

You have plenty of options available. You could ditch the AFG and mount a quick release adaptor to your rail. You coould also purchase a different rail that has more space like the DD Omega X.

Going to a 20-24" barrel will do nothing for you. Barrel length only gives you increased muzzle velocity and not increased accuracy. This has been shown time and time again.

You should also sit down and define your intended purpose for said rifle, altough I can probably already guess.
    Assuming you are using iron sights, wouldn't the longer sight radius that a longer barrel has the potential to provide be beneficial to accuracy?

I am not looking to be augmentative, just trying to learn from those who know more.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMMOTECH View Post
    Mounted and in use.

Is this the "NO" picture?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtjosh View Post
    Assuming you are using iron sights, wouldn't the longer sight radius that a longer barrel has the potential to provide be beneficial to accuracy?
    If you are limited to iron sights, yes, greate sight radius makes sight alignment easier, and therefore improves the shooter's precision capability.

Then again, I can stick a 12" rail on a 12.5" barrel and with a rail mounted front sight, rival the sight radius of a standard fixed FSB 20" barrel.

But I can also stick on an optic and make the point moot.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Damn...it is the shooter...I don't care about +6" of sight radius. Have you seen pros shoot apples at 100yards with a snubby??? That aint about sight radius!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234