Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: vz 58 opinions wanted

Feedback Score

vz 58 opinions wanted

Hi, new member, first post. I'll start off by saying I'm not an LEO and I'm not in the military, just a private citizen. I have a good AR (Colt 6940) but for various reasons, I'd like to have something different to go along with it, something in 7.62x39 for the cheap practice ammo. Been looking at vz 58's, and I'm asking for honest opinions on these rifles. Specifically, can they be counted on for reliable function the same way a tier 1 AR like my Colt can. Option 2 is an Arsenal Inc AK. Uses would include range time, HD, maybe some competition. I would lay in a large supply of mags for either one and I do know the vz won't take the more common AK mags. Thanks

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If you get a vz-58, get one of the D-Technic rifles made in the Czech Republic. Avoid the Century build guns with US receivers and US barrels.

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/

The Arsenal Inc. SGL or SLR series will be more versatile, but the vz-58 is a very smooth shooting piece and they tend to be quite accurate.

There are some "stuck" threads at the top of the forum you might want to read through, lots of information.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=50405
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    If you get a vz-58, get one of the D-Technic rifles made in the Czech Republic. Avoid the Century build guns with US receivers and US barrels.
    Which rifles allow you to use surplus mags with out having to switch out the magazine floorplate and follower? (922r compliancy)
    Last edited by kal; 02-27-11 at 10:58.

Feedback Score
    Isn't the Vz.58 one of the most underrrated weapon in history?

I mean, all those debates of M16 vs AK simply ignored that there was a gun that managed to improve on the main flaws of the american and russian designs.

The AK was heavy, inaccurate and has bad ergos - The Vz managed to be much lighter than the AK, not only that, it was even lighter than the M16. And has better accuracy than the AK. And more ergonomic too, even if with the very similar looks.

The M16 isn't that much reliable. - According to many reports, the Vz has a reliability near AK level, without appealing to oversized and overweight parts.

So, there is this gun, that like the very modern SCAR, has all the good things of the M16 and AK without the big flaws of any of them, and very lightweight. Designed in 1958.
    Last edited by Vitor; 02-27-11 at 11:36.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitor View Post
    The M16 isn't that much reliable. - According to many reports, the Vz has a reliability near AK level, without appealing to oversized and overweight parts.

So, there is this gun, that like the very modern SCAR, has all the good things of the M16 and AK without the big flaws of any of them, and very lightweight. Designed in 1958.

I'm glad you pointed out how unreliable the AR is. You surely saved a bunch of people from making a poor rifle choice.

vz58 ergonomics don't come close to AR ergonomics, though they are a step up from the AK.

That being said, the vz58 is a very neat design.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Other than being one of the ugliest rifles ever designed, its probably the best platform for shooting 7.62x39 currently available. Sure a standard AK might be more customizable, but if you're looking for a KISS gun in x39, its probably the best choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    I'm glad you pointed out how unreliable the AR is. You surely saved a bunch of people from making a poor rifle choice.

vz58 ergonomics don't come close to AR ergonomics, though they are a step up from the AK.

That being said, the vz58 is a very neat design.
    Of course Im comparing to the AK. And hence I said "that MUCH", I know the M16 is just fine.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, the Czechpoint Vz's were the ones I was looking at, I've lurked around here and other forums to know I didn't want a CAI built anything. Looks like it's gonna be the vz rather than the AK. Now, can anyone recommend a good source for mags?

Feedback Score
    Templar already linked you. Czechpoint is the place you want to go. They are quire cheap for non-refurb models and still affordable for the nicely refinished ones.

Feedback Score
    oops, my bad, thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast