Thread: My MK12 Mod 0

Feedback Score

My MK12 Mod 0

This is my first post here. I figured I'd share my little pea shooter. I've built a dozen or so AR's for myself and friends, but this has been the best build. I've shot it out to 600 yards, and it's very accurate. No groups to mention, but it hit steel when I held well.

Anyway, here's the breakdown:

I started with a doublestar lower. Nothing special, but most "special" ones are just fancier logos anyway. RRA two stage match trigger. This is the 4-5th RRA NM trigger I've had, and it breaks perfect with almost no overtravel. I picked up a Noveske SPR barrel, 1:7 twist poly rifled, 18", stuck it in a PRI 3rd gen carbon fiber tube topped with an ARMS 38 PEQ SPR rail. Front sight is the PRI flip up, and rear is an ARMS 40L. I put a PRI 8" bottom rail on so I could use my KAC vertical grip. A harris 9-13S bipod with pod lok on the end. The can is an AAC M4-1000. Stock is a Magpul CTR on a milspec tube. I'm using a Spector Gear three point sling. Scope is a Nikon Tactical 2.5-10 mildot in ARMS #22 medium rings. The bolt is matched to the barrel/chamber, and I'm using an M16
    carrier. I did the paint job with a template from Bulldog Arms, and used Norrells moly for the green and FDE, and Gunkote for the black. I'm so-so on the flecktarn. I like the looks o.k., but the color combo is ineffective for camo. I did the flam job on the can with Norrells FDE. My plan is to blast the gun back to original finish and flame the carbon fiber FF tube as well, with the CF natural as the black. That'll be a while though.
    I'm very pleased with the Noveske barrel. The chamber cut allows for feeding of 5.56 ammo, but doesn't compromise accuracy for feeding. I've fired 428 rounds of handloaded 77gr Noslers and it's run 100% so far.

Here's a pic, compliments of Amish Bill at the AAC Silencer shoot last month.

Last edited by kletzenklueffer; 10-11-07 at 17:05. Reason: checking pic size

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Pretty cool. I love the flames on the can.

Welcome to the site.

Robb
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I saw this pic over at ST. I was really digging the flame job on the can. How did you do it?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    IThe flame job got some attention at the silencer shoot. Most liked it. One guy didn't "get" it. What's to get? The bullets leave at over 2750fps. That's 1875mph! That merits a flame job in and of itself in my opinion. I don't know, when I got my first can, I just saw it as something that needed a flame job.

So I started some time ago looking for images with a flame pattern. I am artistic, but just couldn't draw out what I wanted, so I kept searching and finally found a picture of a hotrod (36 Ford coupe I think) with a flame job and the pic was from above the hood. So I printed the picture, taped up the back of it with painters tape, put another on top of the first (I knew the first layer would stick to the paper, so I wanted a layer I could peel off). Then I cut out the flame pattern, peeled the second layer of tape and wrapped it around the can. I had to trim it a little to make it flow right where the edges came together.

The way I cut it out was so that I would keep the black portion of the original finish, and the paint was be sprayed on the "negative" side. typically the flames themselves are painted, but I did mine backwards to save on painting in case it didn't come out good.

As I mentioned above, soon I'll strip the FF tube back to the carbon finish and do a flame on it. I think it'll look good with the carbong fiber pattern in black with a tan flame job.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have an M4 1000 on order. I hope to have it some year!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I have an M4 1000 on order. I hope to have it some year!
    Mine just arrived at my SOT yesterday! 114 days. Now I get to wait on the form 4 to come back

Feedback Score
    Mine was in stock when I bought it. It took about 5 weeks to get it. ATF had approved it within three weeks from the day I mailed the Form 4 off, but it took two weeks for the stamp to get here.

I got mine from Polite Society. Mark and Allen are friends of mine, and I'm proud to say it.

Did ya'lls dealer order direct from AAC? I wonder if they could get one from PSI if they have any in stock? I' m thinking they do.

On the can itself, between Mark and Allen and another friend, Bill, I had the chance to hear the M42K 06, M42K-07, Ops 12th, Ops 16th, SPR/M4 cans beforehand. The M4-1000 isn't the absolute quietest, but the difference is splitting hairs. The Ops cans were the quietest to the ear to several of us. To me, the difference between the Ops cans and the AAC M42K and SPR cans is just barely recognizeable. Small enough that I had the money for the Ops, but chose the M4-1000 so I could use the rest of the money to buy other gear. It just wasn't big enough of a difference between them to put another $400 in the can alone. The difference between the M42K and M41K is negligible. A meter may show it, but I can't hear it. Blow back is minimal with the M41K as well. I get a little, but have shot as much as 160 rounds in a few hours withotu teary eyes. I'm still debating the PRI gasbuster. I've had one on an AR10 and I like it, but it's high for such an item. I might do the gasket material if gas seems to increase.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kletzenklueffer View Post
    Did ya'lls dealer order direct from AAC? I wonder if they could get one from PSI if they have any in stock? I' m thinking they do.
    My dealer ordered direct. My last suppressor I bought from PSI and I did a transfer. I was happy with the transaction, but ended up paying more for the can that way. After shipping costs and transfer fees, I spent about $75 more. I'm in no rush for the M4-1000, so I decided to order through my dealer.

I couldn't justify the $400+ price increase, so I went with the M4-1K.

Chris

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin View Post
    Mine just arrived at my SOT yesterday! 114 days. Now I get to wait on the form 4 to come back
    My papers are already done and approved. They're sitting at the dealer...

And yes, The dealer ordered direct from AAC.

Hmmm.. I'm at 110 days I think. They claimed it was out for finishing when I called a couple of weeks back. They're nice and all, but that sounds like a standard reply to an inquiry to me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    kletzenklueffer, you should be damn proud to own that rifle.

It is stunning to say the least.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com