Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You get what you pay for? (What separates the aimpoints/eotechs from other optics?

Feedback Score

You get what you pay for? (What separates the aimpoints/eotechs from other optics?

Ok, a couple things to get out of the way:

I'm new here, and new to the AR/tactical world.
    I've done some looking into Aimpoint and Eotech sites and I understand the differences/benefits/drawbacks to them both.
    I'm a father of 3 and full-time student (read $$$uper tight budget), concerned with home defense and "SHTF".

I like the Aimpoint's "forever" batteries, but like the EOTech's 65/1 MOA Reticle relative simplicity of EO's setup (you dont seem to need to get the mounts separately, etc...)

My question is this: with the EOTech and Aimpoint models I'm considering both being over $450-$500, whats to keep me from getting a Vortex SPARC for $200? (I see plenty of stuff on Aimpoint, Eotech, but almost nothing on SPARC... Opticsworld.com seems to think highly of the SPARC, but I havent seen much from consumers on what they think.)

Besides "AIMPOINT IS AWESOME!" or "EOTECH RULES", or "EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS", what separates the EOTECH/Aimpoint and the Vortex SPARC?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have seen some pretty good reviews on the Sparc. I don't know that the average SHTF prepper would need something pro grade like the two biggies.

The only justification for me to shell out all that would be the aimpoint battery life, and dependability, in SHTF, you have to be able to depend on your weapon with your life.

I understand the Sparc is very reliable too. I think the Sparc would be ideal. Plus it comes with the great warranty.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So, if you buy something for "SHTF" that's got a great warranty, and it shits the bed, will that great warranty help you out then?

Here's the deal, you absolutely do get what you pay for. The lesser quality clone optics will not hold up to the conditions that a military grade optic will. I'm 99% certain that even the Vortex guys say that their stuff is not meant for duty.

If you're running on a super tight budget, and brother, I do understand what that means, then run your irons, and start an Aimpoint or Eotech jar, putting a couple bucks in it when you can, and pretty soon, you'll have the money that you need for a professional grade optic.

If you can afford a $200 optic, you're about half way there to the real deal.

Also, look at buying a good condition used one from a reputable member (I'd avoid places like Ebay because of all the Chicom airsoft clones). Aimpoint just released their Patrol Optic, which comes with a useable mount, and should be about $440 or so total.

If you're buying an optic, or a weapon, that you even slightly think might be pressed into service for defense of yourself or your family, then you need the best that you can get. If that means scrimping and saving for a while, and running irons, then that's what it means, and you'll be a better shooter for it at the end of the day.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Let me share my story (lesson learned) on "making do" with CLONE optics...

I just did an INEXPENSIVE RDS (red dot sight) option for my wife's carbine (until $$$ allows a better option), so I will share my experience...

I first bought a TruGlo Open Red Dot Sight for $99, mounted it on her 14.5" middy-gas AR15 carbine, and went to the range to sight it in... This one resembled slightly a Trijicon Reflex...

I liked the holographic sight options and that the BUIS (back up iron sights) could be used easily, but I did not like that the dot was right where the fixed base front sight was and I found it distracting. A riser would help but then it would be a BUIS use issue... But it didn't matter... that TruGlo sight was all over the paper and would NOT hold a zero. I determined it to be a inside defect, not a mount and use issue. So back from the range I went to my local black rifle shop for a refund... They offered to replace it but I had now lost trust in it (for a $99 optics and all ops

So I swapped it for a Aimpoint Micro clone made by KONUS... It was more $$$ at $120...

This RDS had a nice clear, well-defined dot and had good feedback as a decent cheap RDS option (like the PWS), but on an AR platform, a RISER is a MUST, just like an Aimpoint Micro needs a riser. I bought a 3-slot, 1" UTG riser off ebay for $11 and mounted it. This now put the red dot where an Aimpoint would put it (red dot above front sight) but due to the design of the red dot emitter inside the sight (block on bottom), this emitter would be in the way of a BUIS in use, making the BUIS about useless unless the RDS was removed. But if you buy a 5/8" riser then the red dot wil be back on top of the front sight post, and again, a distraction for me...

But for an RDS, this KONUS seems to be a nice option. It "seems" well made and feels tight and secure. The battery life is nowhere near that of an Aimpoint, by multiples of times, but what does one want from a $120 RDS? So I kept it and the UTG mount (seems well made as well) has a butterfly lockdown so it can be removed quickly if needed, allowing BUIS use.

Since this is NOT a primary weapon, I think it will suffice until a Aimpoint Comp-M3 comes along... But if I had the money back and could do it all over again, I would have put that $$$ WASTED on an RDS that just sorta works out into a fund for a REAL RDS that would have fit the bill in all areas... My lesson learned with cheap RDS's...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    You get what you pay for? What separates the aimpoints/eotechs from other optics?
    In short, quality.
    I'm probably the least qualified person to answer this, so I may be 'stepping out of my lane' a bit. But I went through a similar experience that may help.

About a year ago I just had to have a red dot for my AR. But after looking around, I realized I "couldn't" afford a 4-700 dollar sight.
    So I went to a gunshow to see if I could find any better deals. Big mistake... I saw an array of "Acog" "Eotech" and "Aimpoint"-style sights for prices vastly cheaper than anywhere else. They looked like the real thing. They felt like the real thing. They even functioned like the real thing. At the time I was looking for an Eotech, and I thought why not? So I went home looked on Ebay, and found one for "only" 75 bucks. What a steal!
    About a week later it arrived, and I mounted it on my rifle. Everything seemed fine, until I took it out to zero. Long story short, it wouldn't. The cheapass 'made in Chrapland' adjustment screws just slipped when you turned them. And suddenly, 400 bucks for a REAL Eotech seemed rather cheap....
    I re-sold it as a prop for only $45. Then went and bought the real thing. Trust me- you can literally see and feel the difference.

Now, I can't speak for the sight you're looking at. And apparently Vortex does make some other good stuff.
    But like Templar said- you're already a third to half of the way there.
    Buy once, cry once, save money.

Dagnabbit! Beat to it again!
    Last edited by Jellybean; 04-08-11 at 13:43.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    So, if you buy something for "SHTF" that's got a great warranty, and it shits the bed, will that great warranty help you out then?

Here's the deal, you absolutely do get what you pay for. The lesser quality clone optics will not hold up to the conditions that a military grade optic will. I'm 99% certain that even the Vortex guys say that their stuff is not meant for duty.

If you're running on a super tight budget, and brother, I do understand what that means, then run your irons, and start an Aimpoint or Eotech jar, putting a couple bucks in it when you can, and pretty soon, you'll have the money that you need for a professional grade optic.

If you can afford a $200 optic, you're about half way there to the real deal.

Also, look at buying a good condition used one from a reputable member (I'd avoid places like Ebay because of all the Chicom airsoft clones). Aimpoint just released their Patrol Optic, which comes with a useable mount, and should be about $440 or so total.

If you're buying an optic, or a weapon, that you even slightly think might be pressed into service for defense of yourself or your family, then you need the best that you can get. If that means scrimping and saving for a while, and running irons, then that's what it means, and you'll be a better shooter for it at the end of the day.
    I couldn't agree more. It sucks to hear that your going to have to spend $$$ but it is what it is. It all comes back to quality. Cheaper things just plain don't last and aren't dependable. I shoot my rifles quite frequently. Im spending the money to ensure when I hit that power button it comes on and stays on! I don't want to have to worry about it giving on me in say...6 months...or a year. Most of the cheap optics/red dot just wont hold a zero either at all or in the long run. Your rifle is a precision tool. Why settle for something that wont let you use it that way? I don't want to have to worry if my rifle is zero'd or not..
    Grab that ol kiddies piggy bank..start dumping all your change in it..two less sodas a day..and buy the optic you really want.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a used 512 A65 on a Larue mount I will sell you for 260 shipped. The hood is dinged up but it is 100% functional and the glass is prefect.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

optics

Buy the Aimpoint PRO. It seems to be a M3 with a mount. I learned a hard lesson buying binoculars a few years ago. Rather than spend $250 for the ones I wanted I bought an $85 pair. They fogged bad so I bought a $120 pair that also fogged a lot. I finally bought the ones I originally wanted 3 years later for $280 and have a great pair of binoculars. I spent a total of $485. Because of this, I did what Templar suggested to you and save money to buy the Eotech. I've now saved the money and recently bought the Aimpoint PRO. I think the PRO is the best deal going.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    Buy the Aimpoint PRO. It seems to be a M3 with a mount. I learned a hard lesson buying binoculars a few years ago. Rather than spend $250 for the ones I wanted I bought an $85 pair. They fogged bad so I bought a $120 pair that also fogged a lot. I finally bought the ones I originally wanted 3 years later for $280 and have a great pair of binoculars. I spent a total of $485. Because of this, I did what Templar suggested to you and save money to buy the Eotech. I've now saved the money and recently bought the Aimpoint PRO. I think the PRO is the best deal going.
    I agree i just got a Aimpoint PRO and sighted it in today ,A great RDS at a great price !!

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I've seen "bargain" RDS's fail within 50 rds.

Be honest with yourself though. This is a professional oriented site...meaning people generally are here for guns they use for duty, home defense, training, mil, and not your average guy who shoots dirt clods for fun.

If all you are is a dirt clod shooter, and no intentions of this being a serious use gun (duty or what you grab when you hear glass breaking at 2AM) then just get whatever.

If you want an optic you can rely on to get you through serious duty/combat/AND stake your life on when you get that thud at o dark thirty then get a real top grade optic not whats cheap from china.

If funds are tight save what you can...look for used stuff, too. I just sold a Aimpoint T1 in near new condition with Larue mount on here for 525 when they are 650 from LaRue.

Look for some useless shit around your house to sell. Most people have thousands of dollars tied up into junk sitting around their house.
    Last edited by Belmont31R; 04-04-11 at 00:04.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast