Thread: Variable Magnified Optic as OEG

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Variable Magnified Optic as OEG

I wasn't sure if this has been discussed before, if it has, please direct me.

But seeing people talking about using an ACOG with a cover down on it as an OEG got me to thinking about using a Magnified Optic with an illuminated reticle the same way.

Has anyone ever tried it? How does it work for you?

Does the POI shift when at different magnifications?

Would that be an option for someone who has a magnified optic but doesn't want to go into the expense/weight of adding a secondary RDS?
    Last edited by Crow Hunter; 05-31-11 at 09:42. Reason: Clarification

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I guess I should have worded my post better.

That particular thread was the one that I was referring to.

My question was twofold:

1. Has anyone ever tried using a illuminated reticle scope as an OEG similar to how one uses a ACOG. I only see references to it when using an ACOG. If so, how does it work for you?

2. Does the phoria effect change with magnification or is it constant regardless of optic type? The only optic that I have tried this with was a RDS and the phoria effect was tiny. Only 1.5-2.0 inches left at 15 yards similar grouping, identical elevation. I don't have a magnified illuminted optic to test this with and I was wondering if I would get similar results with a magnified optic or would the phoria effect be magnified as well.

I "think" that phoria is related to eyesight only. Can anyone confirm or deny this?