Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tent size

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I second the Big Agnes 2-person tents, either the fly creek UL or the seed house UL, and REI has a 20% members coupon until 5/30. I'm a big fan of MSR, and use a Microzoid as a glorified bivy, but one of these tents will be my next tent purchase to give me more room at the same or less weight. They are both highly rated and Backpacker award-winning tents (IIRC). I have messed with both of them and I'm really impressed with their light weight and space.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you ever tried a modern hammock? I doubt I will ever use a tent again, unless there are no trees...

ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Whats with the tan cells at the bottom? How do you do with sleeping in a slightly bent position? What is its effect on your back?
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Have you ever tried a modern hammock? I doubt I will ever use a tent again, unless there are no trees...
    ]
    Can you get your boots on while still in the hammock or to you have to hop out to get your foot gear on?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    Whats with the tan cells at the bottom? How do you do with sleeping in a slightly bent position? What is its effect on your back?
    The tan cells are part of the underquilt- a down stuffed quilt you can put on the outside of your hammock is cold weather. Hammocks will keep you cool in hot weather, and a bit colder in cold weather, just like how bridges tend to freeze before roads. Then, you can either us a upper quilt, or just unzip your sleeping bag and lay it over you. I have gone down to 26 degrees and still stayed warm.

Modern hammocks allow you to sleep almost flat, especially when you sleep on a diagonal. Mine, a Warbonnet Blackbird, has a foot well on one end. I sleep better in a hammock than any bed. My back is always sore when sleeping on the ground. A modern hammock system is simply the best way to sleep, if you don't mind hammocks.

Omega,

Yes, you can put your boots on inside, but most people set up the hammock so the height allows it to be used as a chair when you turn sideways and put your feet out.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

With a good tarp it beats the heck out of sleeping in a tent on the ground.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thats a cozy little home away from home ya got there, reminds me of my brother's various "camps" OCONUS. My favorite was his C-130 setup. I'm a fan of hammocks but don't use them in the winter due to the cold, thats an awesome solution, thanks for posting. Their setup makes for an integrated shelter and sleep system thats super light.

Thank you and Happy Memorial Day I.Ninja!
    Last edited by Mitch; 05-30-11 at 15:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    I like the Big Agnes Seedhouse tents. Get one rated for how many people you plan to sleep +1. In other words get a two man if you're the only one that will sleep in it. As a plus their green color is sort of a sage that can blend reasonably well.
    Yes. Super lightweight. Their 4 person tent is lighter than many 2 person tents.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Omega,

Yes, you can put your boots on inside, but most people set up the hammock so the height allows it to be used as a chair when you turn sideways and put your feet out.
    Thanks Ninja - I appreciate it!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I own a BA Speedhouse 2 SL, I bought it for two people and it's way to small. I decided to keep it for solo trips. For trips with my woman I'll be getting a BA 4-season tent.

I like the idea of using a hammock for getting quality sleep but I feel a tent gives me a better "work station" than just hanging out under a tarp.

Like someone else said, I think it's a good idea to buy the tent that is +1 from the number of people actually staying in it.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast