Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiking Shoes

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hiking Shoes

I live in Florida and of course the terrain I am camping and hiking in is pretty flat. Plus add the temperatures in the summer and boots get really hot. So I am looking at getting some shoes instead. Does any one have a brand / model to recommend?
    In today's world one of the best things you can do for your child; Get them in Scouting, stay with them in the program, and encourage them to stay in.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Merrell Moabs have served me well. Ventilated, not too hot, almost like wearing a sneaker.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    It is important to choose the correct footwear for what you are doing. I see issues with this a lot. If you do research on hiking boots (all types) you will see that most are rated for the load that you are wearing. This is based on the weight that you will carry and the support that the Hiker will give you. I see people all the time wearing super lightweight hikers (Merrell MOABs) while wearing a full KIT (body armor and a light pack). Not good for you feet and legs. If you are just going to be hiking without carrying much weight (CamelBak with some snakes) I would say go for a very lightweight hiker such as the MOAB. If you are going to carry a pack with some weight look at a medium hiker such as the Merrell Sawtooth.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Keen Voyageurs.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra MID's. Most comfortable lightweight hiker I have ever owned. I have never gone cheap on my footwear (Asolo, Lowa, Danner), and these are as good as it gets in my book. They are now on sale @ REI for $120: http://www.rei.com/product/811331/sa...ing-boots-mens

They also make a low top version as well: http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/D...:referralID=NA
    Last edited by nickdrak; 05-25-11 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Merrell Moabs have served me well. Ventilated, not too hot, almost like wearing a sneaker.

+ 1 MOAB

I also use the MOAB. I go backpacking about once a month and I carry a pack, 2 man tent, sleeping bag, extra socks, extra underwear, extra shirts, etc etc etc. My pack weight is around 35lbs. I have zero issues with the MOAB. I live in Virginia and hike in the mountains, but even still my merrell's hold up and my feet are extremely comfortable with a good pair of smart wool socks, or REI wool socks.
    Noel A. Robleto
    Instructor / Owner
    Virginia Tactical
    noel@virginia-tactical.com
    703-439-9321

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lots of options out there. I'm a fan of Merrells and have several variations for temp and activity. My daily wears are the Radius, low or mid. The Moab Ventilators are very light, breathe well, and are super comfortable. Also available in both low and mid height.

I wore my Merrells doing the FL tourist thing last year. Lots and lots of walking, and my feet were GTG.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Those or something very similar are favored by some high-speed face shooters and yes I want a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra MID's. Most comfortable lightweight hiker I have ever owned. I have never gone cheap on my footwear (Asolo, Lowa, Danner), and these are as good as it gets in my book. They are now on sale @ REI for $120: http://www.rei.com/product/811331/sa...ing-boots-mens

They also make a low top version as well: http://www.rei.com/webservices/rei/D...:referralID=NA

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaTactical View Post
    + 1 MOAB

I also use the MOAB. I go backpacking about once a month and I carry a pack, 2 man tent, sleeping bag, extra socks, extra underwear, extra shirts, etc etc etc. My pack weight is around 35lbs. I have zero issues with the MOAB. I live in Virginia and hike in the mountains, but even still my merrell's hold up and my feet are extremely comfortable with a good pair of smart wool socks, or REI wool socks.
    +1

My backpacking loadout is usually 25 lbs (summer) and 30 lbs (winter). I have blown through 3 pairs of MOABs, and they are my favorite all around shoe. The original insole is lacking IMO, so I always use Superfeet.

I like Salamon for wet weather or treks where you know you will be crossing a lot of water. I have wet-out both Merrell and Salamon and never got a blister on high-mile days. The Merrells are pretty heavy when they are completely wet-out.

In the end, it is your foot.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Give a look at Inov8 roclite series here http://www.inov-8.com/Products.asp?PG=PG1&L=27 I have been wearing the 295's for about a year and love everything about them. Light, breathable, and comfortable on the long hikes.

Salomon's are also great I wore them for years but just recently switched. I dont like goretex (makes my feet too hot) but they do have the Salomon XA pro 3D ultra in non goretex. Always very comfortable on the long hikes.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast