Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Secondary weapon on vest?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Secondary weapon on vest?

Does anybody run a handgun on their vest such as pictured below? This is how I've been running my handgun lately and while a little slower (about half a second on a timer) I've found that I prefer it to carrying in a hip holster.

Unlike most people I prefer to keep stuff off my waste. I've tried the war belt thing and hated it. I've worn this setup at all day trips to the range and found it to be quite comfortable; my favorite aspect of it being that I can keep my belt clean of gear as well as keeping everything together in one package.

I have a RCS phantom on order so, I may go back to running just a pistol and one spare mag for each weapon on my belt but so far I'm liking this. It's very lightweight, cool (it gets hot as hell in FL), low profile, maneuverable, and convenient as everything I need is right there.

I'd like to hear what some thoughts as I'm likely going to run this setup in some future classes unless somebody can point out some major issues with it.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Mr. Goodtimes,

I second your curiosity as to what others say. I gonna try to use the Safariland MLS on a Eagle M4 FB chest rig and see how it goes. The Safariland seems like it would be if not faster, more secure and familiar than sticking the gun in a pouch (but with no experience with either I woldn't know).

Also, I found this with a little searching. Military Moron did a great write up on it and it looks pretty cool.

I wold be interested to see how they compare to your set up. I too don't like stuff on my hips.

Feedback Score
    Are you left handed?

I'm wondering how you draw from that placement on your chest rig?
    Last edited by NavyDavy55; 05-04-11 at 22:27.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Two problems with the vest mounted holster:

1) You will have to deal with dirt/sand/grass/ect. getting into the holster and gun when you go prone.

2) Do you carry concealed on your chest from a day to day basis? If not, then I know that I like to keep things as consistent as possible. If I carry on my hip daily, then that is how I want my "battle load-out". Also one of the reasons I don't care for drop-leg holsters either.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have always thought of putting a Phantom with some kind of drop system on the cumber-bun of my plate carrier. The problem with that is that I use a low ride holster at work and I think it would screw me up a bit.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not my cup of tea but if you like it and it works for you go for it. There is a thread almost similar to this topic, but it covers more along the lines of a kydex holster for your vest as oppose to a nylon one. Let me see if I can find it...

Here it is...
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=80266
    Last edited by Ak44; 05-04-11 at 23:37.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    When I was over in Iraq I carried my pistol on my chest, horizontally just below my name tape on my IBA, mainly because I started out as a gunner and it was easier to access it while in the turret and later it kept the gun from getting trashed by the humvee door.

This time around I think I'm going to play around some more and try both on the belt and on the side of the PC, kind of like how you have yours in the pic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Feedback Score
    I prefer to keep it on my chest. I have a chest rig with a kangaroo pouch that I cut up a paddle holster and keep it there. I try to keep my hands up front, and most everything I might need in a hurry there. I'll keep my spare pistol mags on my hip, as well as a horizontal "emergency" mag and a Gerber, but I had a lot of problems with keeping the pistol on my hip.

1. It would get hung up on my plate carrier. To draw it, I would have to pull out and away from my body in a completely awkward motion.

2. During a security halt (See; combat sit) it would dig in to my sides and again get hooked on my plate carrier. It was constant uncomfortable unless I leaned a little away from it.

3. I always tried to keep relaxed when dealing with locals, it helped a lot. This meant when I was meeting and greeting, my rifle was at my side. I let the weight fall on the one-point, and kept the pistol grip in a loose grip, strong side. If I carried the pistol on my strong side hip, they would be fighting for real estate.

4. Drawing from the hip in the prone is just as much of a pain in the ass as drawing from the chest in the prone, why tailor your gear for a position you (in my experience) won't use much, and shouldn't do most of your fighting from?

5. Transitions, for me, are a LOT easier with my pistol on my chest. While I push the rifle to weak side, my shoot hand is practically brushing past my secondary. Why leave the chance for a brain fart when my left hand will be going up and left, my other down and right?

Like you, I try to use the "war belt" as more of an organizational tool than a fighting load. Anything that is for the fight is in front of me, where I like it (personal preference weighs in a lot) while my note pad, maps, smoke, drop pouch, and other little randoms, are better suited where they can be ignored when I don't want them.

Go with what feels natural for you!
    Happy shooting!
    -SOW
    Last edited by SOW_0331; 05-05-11 at 01:06.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to leave it where it is for the mean time.

To answer some questions and clarify some things...

- Yes, I am left handed.

- Dirt and debris is an issue, however, I dont spend much time low crawling. If it becomes an issue, I'll move it back to a belt holster. However, it's off center enough and more to the side that it keeps most of the dirt from going prone off the gun.

- I carry 5 o'cklock IWB on a daily basis. Doing transition drills I have yet to get confused. I can agree, however, this is my training as well as SHTF setup, so if this goes on things are bad enough that I'm not going to be carrying my P30 IWB anymore.

For me, the slight trade off in speed is worth it for the gain in mobility and comfort. There is nothing hanging off my waste to get caught in stuff etc...

I also ordered this part from SKD which I think will probably decrease my draw time a good bit.

Feedback Score
    Main problem...
    What if you have to ditch your chest rig? End up in water (how many of you have tried swimming in your gear?), gets snagged exiting a vehicle, comes unsnapped during H2H (yes, murphy does show up when you rather he didn't), or something on it breaks....
    a phrase comes to mind....don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast