Thread: Irons or optics for an advanced class?

Feedback Score

Irons or optics for an advanced class?

Guys,

I'm fortunate enough to be training with Jason Falla this July (2 day advanced carbine).

As some of you might know, he makes every shooter "qualify" for the class first thing on day one. You have to shoot a series of drills and score a certain number of hits in order to proceed with the class.

That's ok. I've got the drills printed out and I'll run them repeatedly between now and then.

I usually train with irons. Each of the six classes I've taken so far, I've run irons. The thing is, I never had to take an entrance exam before!

One of my rifles, my LMT, has an Aimpoint on it.....so I'm thinking of running that rifle for this upcoming class.

Yes, I'm over thinking it, but this is my first advanced class and I want to be able to keep up with the big boys....so to speak.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Veracity; 05-28-11 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    Zero the irons, zero the optics and make sure you have fresh batterys in the optic. Other than that go with what YOU KNOW works for you .

Irons dont need battery's.

KISS.

That is why I run Reflex 12.5 MOA triangle's.
    Last edited by COVERBUSTER; 05-28-11 at 21:23.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Run what you use on your rifle.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Optics or Irons...

Practice with both...

Take the class with both.

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    My honest opinion is that as long as you train enough with your irons, you lose nothing and only gain speed using optics for advanced training, tactics classes, or operationally - real world. Like the previous posters have suggested, pick your zero (25/300, 50/200, 100), zero irons and then optic, cowitness, and understand the ballistics of your zero with your rifle. It sounds like you're proficient with your irons, there is no reason in the world not to make use of the benefits of an optic for your class. Just my opinion, good luck brother.

Feedback Score
    Why not email or call the instr, tell him this, and ask what he recommends you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I usually train with irons. Each of the six classes I've taken so far, I've run irons.

One of my rifles, my LMT, has an Aimpoint on it.....so I'm thinking of running that rifle for this upcoming class.
    I always email, and ask questions such as:

1. What is the NLT time to be at the range on Day 1?

2. How many magazines do I need to have on my person?

3. Do you run cold range or hot range?

4. Etc.

That way I show up on time, ready to shoot, and knowing WTF is going on.

Feedback Score
    RB1 has a couple threads here maybe they might see your question and chime in. If not hit them up and they are on facebook also.

I am a huge believer in a RDS but I very much believe in mastery of the irons first. I am always impressed by a great shooter with irons, but for real world stuff an RDS is a must IMO.

Since this is a training class, work on what you want to work on. Practice the drill and go shoot it how you feel most comfortable. I haven't shot the RB1 carbine drill yet, but I wouldn't think that a genuine advanced shooter should have a problem shooting it irons only.

Feedback Score
    If you are comfortable with irons, by all means do so. If you haven't done a class using optics, why change now? Do the drills and you should be fine. It's all about weapons handling.

I shoot 3 Gun with a guy that uses iron sights on his AR10. He kicks a$$ and we often have targets as far as 400 yards.

Feedback Score

Redback One Shooting Standards

We released the RB1 Pistol and Carbine standards in preparation for our new advanced combat course curriculum that will be implemented in 2012. The intent is to have these standards out long enough for students to practice them and feel confident shooting them. The standards are by no means hard. They are challenging enough for the intermediate shooter that wants to take the next step to an advanced level.

The two courses that we have running in CT and NY are tactical carbine courses that will NOT have the shooting standards as a pre-requisite for attendance. The tactical carbine course is the second in the trilogy of RB1 training courses at this time. As previously mentioned, we will be implementing new curriculum in 2012 that will include pre-testing as part of the attendance requirements. However until then there will be no pre-test.

Our 2012 curriculum promises to be the most advanced and relevant training offered to civilian shooters.

I still encourage students that are attending our tactical pistol or carbine courses to practice the standards in their own time as part of the pre-course preparation. This will ensure that you have all of your equipment set up correctly, weapons running right and the shooter dialed in.

As mentioned in this thread, if anyone has any questions regarding training with RB1, please contact us directly. We are more than happy to answer all of your training questions.

Remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!