Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ouch! Glock slide bite - options?

Feedback Score
    Fire_Medic, It's a Glock 19. Yes, I am considering the various add on beavertails and laser grips and hoping for firsthand feedback to help me decide.

It happens within the first 50 rounds.

I would change platforms if needed (the S&W M&P comes to mind) but would like to exhaust all possible remedies as I am heavily invested in the Glock platform already (Holsters, magazines, spare parts, etc)

skyugo, I came from a slightly lower grip and this grip gives me the best control and accuracy with the Glock. I wouldnt want to progress backward if possible but am also experimenting constantly so will also consider this.

Sam, thank you for the link, I saw this thread also as I was checking out willowofwisp's suggestion. Very interesting!

titsonritz, I tried that. My strong hand thumb rests on my support hand thumb. My support hand is so high on the gun that it forces the base of my strong hand thumb in the way of the slide slightly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I wouldn't suggest doing that. Unstable grip = no control = inconsistent groups.
    I agree, I would not compromise my grip to avoid it. I would say you are somewhat lucky. I wish my slide bite was no worse than yours. Personally I have just learned to live with it, and some Neosporin helps

A couple of other ideas;
    gloves,
    pre-applied band aid or tape
    less rounds, more training sessions
    shoot till you develop a callous

If none if this works I'll take it off your hands in the intrest of your health

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Custom plastic gunsmithing. It'll cost some and you'd have to wait, but the cost will be less than changing the entire pistol brand and model.

There are several options. You can have a custom beavertail added, see left upper pic on David Bowie's webpage http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/pictures.html.

Ben from Boresight Solutions recontours the top of backstrap slightly and, together with grip reduction, it helps with slide bite quite often.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have re-contoured all my Glocks in the area under the beavertail. If you dare to do it, you can take a bit of thickness off that area which will allow the web of your hand more forward into the grip. This will get you a high grip, and also protect your hand from slide bite.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Anybody mention the grip Force Adaptor yet?

Really get one and look no further. I switched back to the Glock about 10 months ago and one of the things that I was dreading was the slide bite I get from the mid size guns (19, 23). When the GFA hit the market I jumped on it and have found the answer to my prayers (okay, I didn't get the redheaded, nubile, young nymph but my Glocks don't bite me anymore).

The GFA is easy to mod to fit your hand. A little patience and a Dremel (go SLOWLY!) and some finish sanding and you can pretty much make it just the way you want it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    GFA...period, end of story.

You CAN adapt your grip slightly to prevent this but im in the same boat as you. We both get bitten in the exact same area. I deal with it as ive got a callous there but if its truly bothering you then the GFA will solve all issues and its extremely cheap.

Here is one of my modded GFA's. I didnt like the ribs on the beavertail as they forced my hand lower than it needed to be. I removed them, smoothed the area and stippled it. It looks and feels like its a part of the grip now and works marvelous.

Good luck bud!

Feedback Score
    jhs1969, Yes, I agree, it could be a lot worse. I prefer my hand to be in au naturel status as I want to practice as I would most probably find myself shooting if the need arises. Yeah, what harm could one more callous do?

YVK, uwe1, those definitely would work but am not prepared to do permanent surgery at the moment.

Joe R., multiple mentions already...too many for me to ignore. I am really averse to adding girth to an already blocky gun but the testimonials are pretty positive so far.

Magsz, yes, they do sound like they would solve my problem. Waiting for it to become a callous is a pain. I am mainly concerned with adding too much bulk but if the Glock bites you in the same spot as me then we probably have similar size hands and holds...so if it works for you it could work for me. I'd like to see your GFA mod but the pic isnt showing.

Feedback Score
    sometimes the slide on my 17 grazes my hand as well, though not as much as yours. I keep my thumb lower on the gun but as a result I must take care to keep my thumb from bumping the slide release lever and preventing the slide from locking back on an empty mag. you could try wearing gloves when you shoot but most likely the slide will cut through them and start digging into your hand again after a bit.

the optimal solution that comes to my mind would be to graft a tail onto the frame.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The GFA doesn't fit my gun unless they are making one for the L serial number range.

Last edited by thopkins22; 05-27-11 at 17:30.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    just low enough so you don't get bite.
    I can't believe that's even suggested on this site. Maybe on the TOS, but not here.

I have no experience with the GFA, so I can't speak on behalf of it. However, you can always send it in to boresight solutions down in Florida to have a beaver tail contoured in.
    Kentucky Regional Training Group

Shot placement is power- Stephen A. Camp

I'm aware my avvy does not stand for Heckler and Koch

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast