Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about picking up a SCAR 17: any reason not to?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The stock trigger is the only complaint I have with the SCAR. However, with the further development of the MK20 SSR, hopefully one will be able to purchase that trigger or lower group aftermarket to drop in.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT-M4 View Post
    Probably the best battle rifle in the world at the moment. Its proven in SOCOM's testing and now the real world.
    Hard not to want one.

The mag issue may be due to SOCOM needing as many mags as it can get right now. The shortage for the civi wolrd is probably for the right reason. Be patient.
    Given that it seems only black magazines are available and they're still scarcer than hen's teeth, I'm going to agree with that assessment.

And Greg, if you could hold off on buying mags until you get the rifle, I'd appreciate it. You made me bump my bid up for the only one available on Gunbroker.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Sorry IZ!

If it makes you feel any better I just picked it up. I performed a GRUELING 20 round torture test (more tomorrow--was operating on time borrowed from the wife). I did get the Aimpoint zeroed at 25 yards.

Very preliminary thoughts.

1.Obviously, if you have been shooting an AR then you can shoot this rifle without issue. Ergonomics are excellent and far better than any of the old battle rifles--especially the G3.

2. Absurdly loud. Muzzle break has got to go. It makes my G3 sound like a .22.

3. Recoil is nice and manageable. Certainly worse than my Colt AR, but nice. Noticeably less than the G3, which has a forceful mechanical WACK.

4. The trigger is standard AR. Not bad. The Smith trigger on my G3 is better than either.

5. It balances better than the G3.

6. I really, really like this gun. It seems to be the perfect marriage of the AR and the classic battle rifle. We shall see how this shakes out over the next year or so.

7. It doesn't feel as light as everyone makes it out to be. Fully loaded it is hard to tell much difference between my G3 and this. Maybe a pound, maybe not.

I ordered two mags at ass rape prices. I will put another three on backorder for sane prices.

Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Sorry IZ!

If it makes you feel any better I just picked it up. I performed a GRUELING 20 round torture test (more tomorrow--was operating on time borrowed from the wife). I did get the Aimpoint zeroed at 25 yards.

1.Obviously, if you have been shooting an AR then you can shoot this rifle without issue. Ergonomics are excellent and far better than any of the old battle rifles--especially the G3.

3. Recoil is nice and manageable. Certainly worse than my Colt AR, but nice. Noticeably less than the G3, which has a forceful mechanical WACK.

4. The trigger is standard AR. Not bad. The Smith trigger on my G3 is better than either.

6. I really, really like this gun. It seems to be the perfect marriage of the AR and the classic battle rifle. We shall see how this shakes out over the next year or so.

7. It doesn't feel as light as everyone makes it out to be. Fully loaded it is hard to tell much difference between my G3 and this. Maybe a pound, maybe not.

I ordered two mags at ass rape prices. I will put another three on backorder for sane prices.

You have chosen.............wisely.

Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    love mine, geissele triger is a must, WAY better, i am up to 6-7 mags

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    But how is the "fit and finish"?

On a serious note, what are you plans for the brake? I'm giving a great deal of thought to acquiring a SCAR. Have you settled on a Battlecomp or perhaps another brake that will work with a can?

Congrats on your latest addition to the family, counselor.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Fit n' finish. Eh. Plastic and aluminum crap with mismatching turkey turd tan. LOL. The HK MR556 they had in the shop looked like a Rolls Royce next to it.

I will probably put an AAC blackout or something along those lines on it.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Hey guys,

I am thinking about picking up a SCAR 17s to add to the .308 pile. I am going to be selling off my Springfield/Hellenic G3 and some other junk to fund it.

Can you think of any reason not to buy one? I know mags are in short supply, but I have a stack of guns so I won't have a heart attack if I have to wait.

Most of the reviews seem positive, but I imagine most folks who just wrote a $2800 check are loath to say anything bad. Anybody out there have any cons?
    I love mine. But the whole mag situation is a negative
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sorry IZ!

Just wanted to add a friendly, "You suck and I hate you."

Nice rifle, I'm jealous!

Feedback Score
    Both of my SCAR triggers were rough when new but broke in nicely after some use.
    Put a couple of hundred rounds through the gun and you will feel a difference. Or you can just sit in your living room rack the bolt and pull the trigger a few hundred times.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast