Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about picking up a SCAR 17: any reason not to?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I love mine, but there's a still a long way to go before I dial it in the way I want it.

Done:

- Magpul safety lever. Much more positive actuation, though it doesn't really look like it.

- Magpul MIAD with B3 backstrap. Took some dremeling on the grip tang to make the grip fit, and then some more dremeling on the B3 grip to make it fit the curve of the lower receiver. Well worth it though, compared to the A2 factory grip.

- Tango Down stubby QD VFG

Still to do:

- Geissele Super SCAR trigger. I'm frankly a bit disappointed with FN for putting such a gritty trigger on such a pricey gun. There's very little takeup, and the reset is pretty much identical with letting it all the way back out. Super SCAR on order.

- Tango Down charging handle, whenever they get around to actually releasing it to market. FN should also be smacked for the cheap Fisher-Price charging handle they put on there. It gets in the way of optics and feels like it might come off at any point.

- Tango Down metal stock latch, again whenever it gets out. No specific beef with the current plastic one, but it looks like it's waiting to fail if I don't gently close the stock when locking in place.

- Vltor CAS-V SCAR forend, again whenever it hits. Not a fan of the short side rails, since I like to put my QD sling swivels toward the back of the rails on my AR and AK, and the default sling locations get me all kinds of fouled up when trying the shoulder the weapon with a two point sling.

Of course mags are still rarer than a date with a Victoria's Secret model, FN is sitting on spare parts and barrels, and most of my to-do list hasn't hit the market yet. I suppose I could have gone with a Pred 7.62, but I already have an excellent example of a DI gun...I wanted something different, and I've had my eye on the SCAR ever since they announced the military version several years back. I anticipate that mags will become more available as well as spare parts as time goes on, and if not, I can probably find somebody to take it off my hands.

It is ungodly loud though if you're anywhere but shooting it. That comp makes your teeth hurt. Since it has an adjustable gas regulator, this may be what makes me take the NFA plunge and get a can.
    I have far more guns than I realistically need, but far less than I want. - NongShim

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Highly unscientific bathroom scale weights:

SCAR 17 fully loaded with Aimpoint M4 and x300 but no sling is 10 pounds

Hellenic G3 (HK91) with Hensoldt in HK claw, thin handguard (with heat shield removed) aluminum mag fully loaded and leather sling is 10 pounds

DD pencil barrel with DD light short forend with X300, vickers sling, T1 and DD mount is 7.5 pounds with loaded 30 round.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post

I will probably put an AAC blackout or something along those lines on it.
    I think that's the route I will take as well. I think the AAC 762-SDN-6 can, with a Brakeout mount will work well. It will still be a wee bit loud, but should help with the life of the can.

And if S&B ever releases the 1-8x scope they have promised, it will be a very, very interesting rifle.

Feedback Score
    Good choice, Greg.

Can't wait to see people chop the barrel to 13''.

I'll wait until I can get a Knights gun though.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    But how is the "fit and finish"?

On a serious note, what are you plans for the brake? I'm giving a great deal of thought to acquiring a SCAR. Have you settled on a Battlecomp or perhaps another brake that will work with a can?

Congrats on your latest addition to the family, counselor.
    I put a Bi-Lock Phantom on mine, since I have a Gemtech .308 can. Works fine, no more headache-inducing blast.

Feedback Score
    I'm surprised the SCAR 17 and the G3 weigh in at about the same. I thought the slightly longer G3 barrel and metal lower etc would tip the scale towards the G3. How heavy is the Aimpoint by itself ?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    But how is the "fit and finish"?

On a serious note, what are you plans for the brake? I'm giving a great deal of thought to acquiring a SCAR. Have you settled on a Battlecomp or perhaps another brake that will work with a can?

Congrats on your latest addition to the family, counselor.
    I've picked up a BABC for mine, but it hasn't gone on yet. I am waiting on delivery of a PWS rail extension so it only has to make one trip to the gunsmith instead of two. I eventually plan to buy another and put a Vortex on it until I retire from the military and settle down, then I'll see what my can and muzzle device options are then.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i use a BABC, its very nice

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The only thing stoping me from getting one is the fact that I live in the GAY state of NY for now.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast