Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chest seals

Feedback Score

Question Chest seals

I'm preparing my first aid kits and have run into a detail I don't know a lot about simply because I've had the fortune thus far of not having had to use one or observe one being used. What's to know about the different kinds of chest seals? I see three types so far, the Asherman, the Hyfin, and the Bolin. Anyone here have a preference or relevant experience on how well one or more of them work? I don't expect to have to use one often and ideally never at all, but heaven forbid should I need to it seems that it's something I should absolutely want to get right. I'm thankful to know that we have such a tool available to us to solve such a serious situation with reasonable expectation of success.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 06-02-11 at 08:33.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I keep Hyfins in my aid bag as that's what that the Army gives me. I've never had to use one apart from training lanes and teaching CLS classes. The Hyfins are real easy to apply, stick like shit to a blanket which was a shortcoming of at least the older version of the Asherman especially when blood and sweat were present. They pack down well into pouches and bags. I've never used a Bolin.

As with anything medical, get trained on the how, where, when and why you should use it if it's going in your kit by someone who truly knows what they're doing. Also remember that duct tape and some plastic wrap make a good substitute if push comes to shove. There's obviously the complications of tension pneumothorax from an open chest wound but that's another story.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    My response is often not very popular. If you are stocking a personal first aid kit, my advice: don't get one (chest seal). I stock my kits based on probability, and in my AO and for my needs the probability of needing one is essentially nill. If your AO or needs say you 'might' need one, then go ahead. And even then the probability of using one is basically zero, so any of the brands will do.

Feedback Score
    It isn't so much the odds as it is the stakes. I'm an insurance broker: minimizing impact of uncertain but potentially catastrophic loss at comparatively smaller cost of prevention is the entire basis of my profession. $20 and just a little extra space to have something on hand to fix a problem that can cost everything is a pretty good deal to me. Same reason I carry a sidearm everywhere I can.
    Last edited by yellowfin; 06-05-11 at 13:41.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    It isn't so much the odds as it is the stakes. I'm an insurance broker: minimizing impact of uncertain but potentially catastrophic loss at comparatively smaller cost of prevention is the entire basis of my profession. $20 and just a little extra space to have something on hand to fix a problem that can cost everything is a pretty good deal to me. Same reason I carry a sidearm everywhere I can.
    I get that. When I was a brand-new corpsman, my LPO (Leading Petty Officer) told me to get everything I needed for the platoon for an extended op. I get everything. He says, "take half of everything you think you need, throw it to the side. Take half of the pile that's left, split it in half. The remainder is what you will actually need."

I have developed and stocked kits from individual and family kits to expedition kits, after the people and organizations for whom I have built kits tell me their requirements (i.e., how many people, in a pack or in a vehicle, for household use or on the Amazon, etc), and invariably something has to get left out, so I base those decisions on probability. Will a chest seal/NPA/14 ga dart/whatever save a life? You bet. But if it means sacrificing room for, say, two extra 4"x4" gauze (which gets used all the time), out it goes, cause almost nobody aside from the .mil will have a need to use that stuff.

I do understand your point, and I appreciate the different perspective. I am certainly not arguing against carrying one type of widget (or any particular item). If you want one, the Hyfin works as well and most and better than some. Just don't sacrifice room for band-aids or 4"x4" gauze.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Chest seals have their advantage in a home pack or a place where you are not concerned about room. In my BoB FAK, I do not carry a chest seal. If I have to use the FAK in my BoB, I'm going to assume hospitals are not available or safe and therefore having a chest seal only prolongs suffering.

If you get shot in the chest when SHTF, your screwed.

Chest seals work wonders if you have hospitals available.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    My response is often not very popular. If you are stocking a personal first aid kit, my advice: don't get one (chest seal). I stock my kits based on probability, and in my AO and for my needs the probability of needing one is essentially nill. If your AO or needs say you 'might' need one, then go ahead. And even then the probability of using one is basically zero, so any of the brands will do.
    Well, I must respectfully suggest that a Hyfin takes up very little space, and weighs a lot less than a dead buddy. Mine is based on probability too- of dying from something that can easily be prevented.

There are three things I don't like to run out of

1. ammo
    2. med supplies
    3. team mates because I didn't have the first two.

Asherman and Bolins can be a bit bulky. Hyfin is my choice. Honestly, Ashermans need to be retired from consideration. I would rather use one of those glue rat traps than fight an Asherman on a hairy, bloody, and sweaty chest.

Training is essential, and weighs nothing.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Honestly, Ashermans need to be retired from consideration.
    Exactly how I feel.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    HALO or other non-venting design if you carry a decompression needle. CoTCCC says the HALO is what they recommend but it can not burp itself and requires you to break seal to burp or simply drop a needle.

Bolin or other venting design if you dont carry a decomp needle because that small amount of loss of contact isnt going to kill the function of the seal and reduces your chances of needing to burp (reduces, not eliminates, valve may still clog although the bolin has three for redundancy).

As to carrying or not that is an individual decision but do you really want to be kicking yourself for cheaping out on a $10-20 item while you or your buddy makes funny noises from the fresh hole in his chest?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    To clarify my comments: if you are in a positon whereby adding a seal, or any specific item, will likely save a life, then by all means do so. I did carry chest seals (and other stuff) downrange that I do not and will not carry in the US, unless it is my little range kit. The range kit is for the range, where gunplay is the norm.

If you are putting together a little kit for your glove compartment or the back of your vehicle or for under the bathroom sink, why waste the $$?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast