Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul Howe - Tac Rifle Operator

Feedback Score
    As others have said, the Tac Rifle DVD has more jewels of information, since operation of the rifle has more variations than the pistol. Paul demonstrates his methods and then explains why it works. If anyone is contemplating CSAT instructor courses, these DVDs will ease the learning curve.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I liked both vids. For how exacting a basic they were. I'm NOT a fan of his "tactical reload" tho. Its basically: take a knee, do a uspsa style top off reload, scan, then pick up and dumper your partial mag. This troubles my dreams

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Both of Paul's videos are great. Though I do agree that the rifle video does have more information in it. Paul's methods ares solid "no non-sense" stuff, that will build a superb base for a tactical shooter. If you are already an experienced tactical shooter there is still good info here as well. If you are new to tactical shooting, get out a note pad, and start taking notes. Almost everything you need to know is laid out in simple straight forward fashion.

I was lucky enough to begin my tactical shooting education with Paul and CSAT, and he set a very high bar for everyone else to follow.

theblackknight: What about Paul's tac reload do you not like?

-Jenrick

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Simply dropping the mag on the deck, then picking up after you've s & aed a 2nd time ? That's not a tactical reload. There are soo many reasons why this is bad, mainly you barely gain any time in which the fresh ammo isnt seated with his vs. a real tac reload. Doing his "top off" reload dose minimize the window of time in which there is isn't a ammo source in the gun, but that's the only advantage I can see. I don't know many who would approve of losing retention of a partial magazine if you can help it.

I respect paul a lot, have one of his books, and just ordered the other yesterday.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have absolutely no heartache at the thought of getting a fresh mag into the gun as soon as possible if you have just been in a gunfight. In the really real world the instructor doesn't wait for everyone to finish stuffing their pouches before a dude will pop out and try to kill you.

We have become so enamoured by the pouches we stick to our gear that we feel compelled to constantly reinforce not efficiency, but purchase justification.

The problem with the "tactical reload" is that it really is an administrative function that should only be carried out with someone providing direct cover. This is one of the problems with having people without a real tactical background teaching tactical marksmanship and manipulations.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know many who would approve of losing retention of a partial magazine if you can help it.
    I would. I personally hate the "reload with retention" or "tactical reload" as it's often bandied around.

The goal of a reload (any type) is to get a reliable source of ammunition in the gun as fast as possible. I don't care if you are loading partial mags in when it really hits the fan, or are simply topping off after 1 round fired, you want to get the gun up as fast as possible. In a real world shooting, the very fact you need to reload means someone has needed killing. There may be more someones that need killing, and the weapon needs to loaded as soon as possible. The absolute last thing I'm going to worry about is the mag I elected to get out of my weapon.

If I have the time and space to retrieve that magazine, I shall. On the other hand if I don't have the time and space, I don't want to be screwing around trying to juggle two AR magazines while I reload.

... you barely gain any time in which the fresh ammo isnt seated ...
    That time difference, however small, may be the difference between life and death.

-Jenrick

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Paul and I talked about this and I, like him, never thought it was a good idea to try an manipulate two rifle magazines with one hand especially wearing gloves and being just involved in a shooting.

I think hand size is a factor as well. I can do a tac reload but if something goes sideways I could see where a klutz like me could end up with two mags on the deck.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the notes on this site. As for the reload, I will try and explain it a bit more.

I do/teach my tac reloads behind cover. If you are running and trying to do one, you are not situationally aware of your weapon and its condition. When I move, I want a topped off gun ready for any situation I encounter. If you are trying to tac reload while you are running and getting shot at, you have issues. First, you are either running to cover or reloading, but trying to do both will slow you down and make you a better target. I will tac reload if I have to move and I am under 3/4 a mag. If I am static, I may just shoot the gun dry depending the tactical situation (if they are 100 yards and out).

Further, I will not loose a shot on a bad guy because I am fumbling with a partial mag and have failed to get my rifle back up. The partial mag is secondary to making a rapid engagement should a bad guy present himself and you need a loaded gun to engage.

Next, I don't use a dump pouch as they are more of an admin tool on a flat range. I used to stick my empty mags into a cargo or empty pocket when I was through with them. Why? I hate the noise and rattle of empty mags if I am still in a prolonged fight. If we move from a shooting area to a non-shooting area that has not heated up yet and we are trying to be quiet (which is a good thing) and you have two or more mags rattling loose in a pouch, you might as well scream clankly-clank, I'm a tank for all the noise you make. I don't want you in my stick if your gear noise gets to the bad guys before we do.

Finally, if you shooting that many rounds that you need to dump mag after mag, I hope you are hitting something and not just pissing away your ammo. I believe in a 1/3 rule. Get a lethal hit for every three rounds fired. That will get you 9 bad guys for every mag you fire if you are able to remember the basics.....

Paul

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Mmkay guys, you've got me on track hesitantly, but how is the best way to break the ice on issues like this to the "masses" in POG units and such, when the law of primacy and "that's not what you were taught in basic)/OSUT/MCT etc happens

Feedback Score
    I've had my best luck by proving it. Lay out all the pros and cons...the fact is, you may not win (the first time)...but at least you made the attempt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast