Thread: what all is diffrent?...my first build

Feedback Score

what all is diffrent?...my first build

hello all. a while back i joined the forums here in hopes of building n AR, well that never did happen due to a few things. well now im getting the itch to start one again. first off ill say i have done some reading and research on parts.
    here is the list of parts i have plans on getting for this build...this isnt a compleate list as i am still trying to decide on a few things such as barrel and buttstock and front handrail but here are some of the other parts i have on my list
    Noveske Charging Handle Assembly AR-15 Aluminum Matte
    Daniel Defense Upper Receiver Assembled AR-15 A4 Flattop Matte
    Daniel Defense Lower Receiver Parts Kit AR-15
    BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto.
    Gas Tube - Rifle Length
    VLTOR Low Profile Gas Block GB-2SS (Stainless with set screws)

all of this does not include tools and so on and i know ill need those too

one of the things i will say is this is going to be strictly a bench/target gun...not a competition or hunting gun just something to have fun shooting paper and so on with. would like to be able to streach it out to 500-600 yards to if possible. i know there is a ton of info on this site and im still reading and searching but was hopeing some of you could tell me what you think of what i have listed so far.

the other thing i am contemplating on is building a 6.8 instead of the 223. that was one thing i wanted to get your alls opinion on as well is how is the 6.8 compared to the 223 in terms of distance, and if i would see any benifit with the 6.8 over the 223 to make any diffrence on. and also what all is diffrent on a 6.8 build vs a 223 build other than the obivios barrel and mags

again i love the forum tons of info here and im still learning so please let me know what you think

thanks

Feedback Score
    I'm not an expert in any way but if ammo cost is not an issue you might be better served by a 6.5 Grendel. Apparently very accurate and may get the range you want. I think it may have more ammo selection too.
    Walther PK380 First Edition
    Glock 32 (.357 Sig) w/ LW 9mm Conv.

Feedback Score
    I do reload so ammo isnt a huge concern really. just want something i can shoot some distance with and have some fun with mainly.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I have 2 6.8 setups and am very happy with them. They don't get much use though.

Nov in 10.5
    Spikes/ARP in 18.

Both are as accurate as anything else I shoot. Whats beneficial is the power pushing down range. Certainly not economical for a range trips, but good for an under the bed gun or for hunting. Really just another facet of the AR platform.

Visit the 6.8 forums for actual numbers.

It'd probably be wise to but an ARP platform and build on it. Nothing but good things to ay about them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is really no reason you can't make hits out to 600 yds with a 5.56 AR.

I have made good hits, and even good groups, out to 700 yds with both 16" and 18" 5.56 ARs.

Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    In case anyone is keeping score, Cameron just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Cameron won again.

Feedback Score
    so is anything other than the barrel and mags any diffrent than the 223
    if anything ill build a 223 play with it a while then build a 6.8 upper and use it some too

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by osiris32 View Post
    I'm not an expert in any way but if ammo cost is not an issue you might be better served by a 6.5 Grendel. Apparently very accurate and may get the range you want. I think it may have more ammo selection too.
    Was just looking around at the 6.5 Grendel....looks kind of interesting.
    saw that Alexander Arms makes a 6.5 barrel and bolt for around $320 not to bad i guess really might have to think about that a little