Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things i Learned During Build 1

Feedback Score

Things i Learned During Build 1

So the last piece for my first build arrived from PSA today (BCG) and before I post pictures tomorrow I thought id share a few things I have learned along the way.

1) Read. A lot. You’d be surprised at what you’ll learn from reading articles written by those smarter than you. Also take everything with a grain of salt. When in doubt confirm.

2) Add about 25% to whatever you have already budgeted and that’s your actual budget. I honestly didn’t know id want a qd sling mount, I also didn’t know that mounting a flashlight and a front sling mount would be such a pain without a normal FSB. These tiny parts pushed me almost 150 over my budget. Needless to say I wish I had done more research and thought to add those into my budget.

3) Ask questions nicely, most people will help you out if you ask. After all we all have at least one thing in common and if nothing else it gives us something to talk about.

4) Have the right tools : This one also got me. I honestly thought this was a hammer and screw driver affair, I had no idea id need a punch, hand guard removal tool or a rubber mallet. Again things that would have put me way over budget, I know you only buy them once but damn that hurts when you’re in college and on a fixed income.

5) Know your limitations: I am never again building one of these things from parts. I am not mechanically inclined and all these stupid pins and detents etc bother the living shit out of me. From now on assembled lowers, assembled uppers, and ADCO gunsmithing are my friends.

6) Buy the quality parts the first time, if you cannot afford it have another lesser priced quality backup. I could not afford Troy TRX rails but the Cav Arms skinny hand guards served my needs wonderfully and are still quality pieces. I now have a rifle I can use vs a rifle in pieces. I know some will say just wait and save but I sold off my Bushy to fund this build and in my case I did not want to be without a rifle that long.

7) Don’t fall prey to that I need the most “tactical” stuff on the market. Simple works most of the time.

8) I should have listened to number 7 a FSB would have saved me a few bucks. Even though its not as “tactical” . Lesson learned.

9) Practice A lot.

And now for the list
    Accurate armory 16” carbine upper
    PSA BCG
    PSA lower
    Accurate armory LPK
    PSA Milspec buffer kit with Tactical Intent Ti-7 stock
    YHM flip up FS gas block
    YHM Rear Flip up sight
    Cav Arms Skinny Handguard
    Troy Battle Ax Grip.

Attachment 8034

Attachment 8035

Attachment 8036

Attachment 8037

Attachment 8038

On the To buy list are : Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic on a cantilever mount,Troy QD Rear Swivel, Bluforce Gear Hand guard Sling adaptor , Mount n Slot hand stop,Mount n Slot Light mount. Two point Sling that I have not decided the brand of yet, may add an H2 buffer I gotta see how she shoots first,Sixell NeverQuit Grip ( I don’t care if you don’t like it I like having it there) . And I think that’s it. Sorry If come off as an ass I just get very easily frustrated with things and it’s a pain when you buy a bunch of stuff and cant figure out how to put it together. Pics will be up In the next 48 hours after my Gunsmith Finishes assembling my lower. Thanks to everyone that has helped with part selection and that gave me advice along the way without you I would have ended up with a DelTon tacticool zombie Destoyer. Instead I’ll have a capable, reliable Rifle.

Edit: Added a few photos of the BCG and And one of the Stock
    Last edited by philipeggo; 04-09-11 at 12:43. Reason: Added some pictures

Feedback Score
    very good points!!!!

just got through my first build and still need to replace other parts.

next build will be much simpler & cheaper.

already have a lower, BCG, collapsable stock with spring & buffer, carbine handguard, grip & rear sight.

Need lower parts kit and a 16" carbine upper without handguard. DONE.

this will be my throw to family/friend gun if shit ever hits the fan.
    Last edited by CAAR; 04-06-11 at 19:36.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!Yea i want to finish one more rifle before the whole 2012 fiasco hits. im doing the opposite of you though. This will be a more expensive build . i want to make this one an SBR .

Quote Originally Posted by CAAR View Post
    very good points!!!!

just got through my first build and still need to replace other parts.

next build will be much simpler & cheaper.

already have a lower, BCG, collapsable stock with spring & buffer, carbine handguard, grip & rear sight.

Need lower parts kit and a 16" carbine upper without handguard. DONE.

this will be my throw to family/friend gun if shit ever hits the fan.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipeggo View Post
    3) Ask questions nicely, most people will help you out if you ask.

No. Iraqgunz will still lock the thread.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice build! When you get the chance to go through a few cases of ammo tell us how both the AA upper and the PSA bolt do. I've been pretty interested in both these companies. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Good points, philipeggo, I agree except that I do like to assemble the lower receiver, not hard at all and lets you choose the parts you want. As far as uppers, I'd rather let BCM or DD do that.
    US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the positive responses guys , i just found my camera underneath a pile of paperwork in my truck. ill try to post pics this weekend !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW---Accurate Armory uses Daniel Defense barrels. And they were agency approved last year by the local PD. Phil won't be getting anything lower quality than BCM or DD unless the BCG isn't.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I would agree that you've done a lot better than a 'del-ton zombie immolation unit'... and thanks for posting this for somebody to hopefully understand how to do their first build better.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    attached a few pics of the BCG and one of the storage tubes in the stock. more to come later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast