Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $500 ready to spend

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

$500 ready to spend

Hey guys,

So I've been selling stuff no longer in use in order to acquire an rds or reloading gear and I believe reloading gear would be the smarter move. I know that I want a single stage press and know absolutely that I want Redding's big boas II press. I wanted to ask you all whether or not you think I could afford a tumbler as well? Keep in mind that I am starting so this is my first rodeo so to speak. I will be reloading mainly surplus 5.56 so I know I need to remove the crimps. I would like to buy almost everything in one shot minus primers and powder. I plan to buy everything at once if possible but won't reload one round till I read the books I buy and feel confident in my knowledge.

Thanks guys,
    Floyd
    "After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

FOX is NOT news, its entertainment

"AND ITS HARD. . .TO HOLD BACK THE HATE"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    sounds good. I started off reading the ABC's of reloading. it was a great book.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I went to Harbor Freight and got their vibratory tumbler (#67617) on sale for about 50 bones and a huge box of their coarse (#12 grit) walnut media. Works great on 556 and 308. I even threw in a few pieces of crap I found on the ground (didn't shoot) just to test it and they cleaned up nicely too.

Of course, I do have a Harbor Freight store several miles away. Their digital caliper is great, too. I'm suspicious most of the branded (Franklin, etc) accessories like these come from the same factory (in China, unfortunately) anyway.

Also: The CH4D pocket swager die works great. ("Primer pocket swaging tools" #419001 under "Priming Tools"). Construction is a bit rough, but it works and is cheap. Here is the review that sold me

YMMV
    Last edited by bananaman; 06-06-11 at 01:43.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Cabelas Tumbler 400 is also a good vibratory case cleaner and is inexpensive. It is made by Berry's Manufacturing for Cabelas and is the same as the Berrys Tumbler 400 but is in Green and labeled Cabelas.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Hey guys,

So I've been selling stuff no longer in use in order to acquire an rds or reloading gear and I believe reloading gear would be the smarter move. I know that I want a single stage press and know absolutely that I want Redding's big boas II press. I wanted to ask you all whether or not you think I could afford a tumbler as well? Keep in mind that I am starting so this is my first rodeo so to speak. I will be reloading mainly surplus 5.56 so I know I need to remove the crimps. I would like to buy almost everything in one shot minus primers and powder. I plan to buy everything at once if possible but won't reload one round till I read the books I buy and feel confident in my knowledge.

Thanks guys,
    Floyd
    Feeding a hungry AR is a great undertaking for a single stage IMHO. Unless match grade accuracy is your main consideration for doing so. I would highly recommend starting with at least a Lee Classic Turret, unless you absolutely can't manage pushing the budget envelope and going with a Dillon 550 or even a LNL.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
    Feeding a hungry AR is a great undertaking for a single stage IMHO. Unless match grade accuracy is your main consideration for doing so. I would highly recommend starting with at least a Lee Classic Turret, unless you absolutely can't manage pushing the budget envelope and going with a Dillon 550 or even a LNL.
    Along that line,the Dillon BL 550 acts more like a turret press but can be upgraded to an RL 550 later on as your budget allows.

Chad
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I could live with a single stage if I had a good powder measure. It's the case trimming that's killing me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
    Feeding a hungry AR is a great undertaking for a single stage IMHO, unless match grade accuracy is your main consideration for doing so.
    +1

I'd start with an RL550B.

The problem is that a decent progressive and accessories necessary for loading rifle rounds will blow your $500 budget.

If you're willing to start loading pistol rounds and move up to rifle rounds later, then you might get started for $500, plus primers and powder...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I could live with a single stage if I had a good powder measure. It's the case trimming that's killing me.

Gotta spend money to save time in reloading... Dillon RT1200B sizes and trims in one step. Here it is at work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLyK1UwuK3M

About 500 cases a half hour on average with my case fed XL650, all to case gauged perfection. Followed by a half hour tumble to get the lube off and clean away any minor burrs the may be left behind.
    Last edited by Boxerglocker; 06-06-11 at 15:09.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Do you need to chamfer and debur after the dillon trims your brass?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast