Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on 115 vs 124 gr 9mm

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Opinions on 115 vs 124 gr 9mm

Ok, I read on a gun forum somewhere that the 9mm pistol is designed to function with a 124gr bullet. Obviously most modern 9mm pistols wont even hiccup with 115, 124, 127, 147 ammo, so that's no really my question. I'm wondering 2 things - one, why is 115 gr ammo cheaper? Two, if I want to run lots of ammo through a HK SP89 or Beretta Storm (blowback operated) - for optimal reliability - am I better off with 124 gr ammo or will 115 be just fine? Ammo would most likely be something on the order of CCI Blazer or WWB - something in the "plinking" category. Defensive ammo of choice is in the 124 and 147 gr category anyway, so I'm wondering about "fun" ammo.
    I guess my question boils down to the relationship between bullet weight and the cycling of the bolt in a carbine/SMG style weapon.

Feedback Score
    115 ammo is usually a little underpowered unless it is +P. Most of it is also not manufactured to rigerous standards. The fact that it has less powder, lead, and QC is probably why it is cheaper. You are better off running heavier weights for reliability - this is especially true for Gen4 Glocks that do not have the most recent guide rod assembly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Prefer the heavies for penetration,myself.The DPX is the only 115gr loading I would even consider.
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong.A tax is a fine for doing well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omega21 View Post
    Ok, I read on a gun forum somewhere that the 9mm pistol is designed to function with a 124gr bullet.
    Not necessarily true of all 9mm pistols.

That said, the NATO standard is a 124-grain bullet at +P pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by omega21 View Post
    I guess my question boils down to the relationship between bullet weight and the cycling of the bolt in a carbine/SMG style weapon.
    This depends on the individual weapon, but I’d lean toward heavier bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    115 ammo is usually a little underpowered unless it is +P. Most of it is also not manufactured to rigerous standards.
    I’ve found that almost any commerical 124- or 147-grain load shoots better than the type of 115-grain load the OP described.

Most people rarely shoot anything enough to know whether it's truly reliable. And most of them can’t hit anything with a pistol anyway, so if the gun goes BANG most of the time, they consider themselves well armed.

Okie John

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocH View Post
    Prefer the heavies for penetration,myself.The DPX is the only 115gr loading I would even consider.

I run that in my Kahr because of perceived reliability. I've never had a problem with it. I've shot that Remington 115 grn. HP they sell at Wal-Mart without a problem.

Personally I like the 147 grn.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    For practice/plinking I always try to shoot with 124gr. It's usually the same price as 115gr ammo from the same maker so that's not a problem. In every store I buy ammo in Fed Am. Eg. 115gr and 124gr are the same price. The same is true with Speer Lawman and CCI Blazer Brass 115gr and 124gr, they can usually be found for the same price. However, 147gr ammo from all of these makers are usually a few dollars more a box then the other two weights. You should have no problem with 124gr ammo in either one of your weapons.

P.S. I have wanted a SP89 for so long, it's sick. I can't have one here in NJ which is probably a plus since I don't have to shell out a few thousand ducketts for one.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    For practice/training ammo, I've found a slight edge to the 124 gr loads for accuracy.

I am also a big fan of using the same weight and velocity round for training as for carry. The point of aim/impact will be the same when you train as when you actually carry. Same thing goes for recoil impulse.

As for the blowback guns, you'd be ok with the 124 gr and 147 gr FMJ loads. You might be ok with the cheaper 115 gr loads. But if the round is a bit underpowered, you might have issues.

If you shop around on the internet, the price per box difference can be only a dollar or two. That's a call you'll have to make. For me, I'll spend the difference to have training ammo as close to carry ammo as possible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’ve found that almost any commerical 124- or 147-grain load shoots better than the type of 115-grain load the OP described.
    Same here. Round heeyah, I've been able to get 124 gr Blazer by the case for what I was getting 115 for last year and it's noticeably more consitent and hits closer to POA.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Awesome! Thanks guys, really appreciate the input.

Feedback Score
    The difference between 115 and 124 is negligible in ball ammo, The top 124 & 127 +P and +P+ JHP give superior performance over the 115 JHP loads and I like many have come to prefer the 147 JHP as it arguably gives the combination of penetration and expansion in both standard and +P loads.
    Last edited by SGB; 06-06-11 at 20:23.
    "The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."—Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast