Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 223/556 Primers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

223/556 Primers

Anybody have any strong feelings about using "MilSpec" primers like CCI #41 versus plain CCI #400 (or BR4) for 223/556 reloading to be shot out of a couple of plain Jane ARs and a Mini? Just fun range/tactical stuff, no precision or BR.

I went down to my local reloading emporium and they only had CCI BR4 s in small (100) boxes and I didn't want to buy 1,000 at their prices. Got home and promptly loaded them. Is the risk of a slam-fire really that much greater with standard vs. MilSpec primers? I know (and don't care) that the BR4s are more consistent than the 400s.

Fortunately, I came on a smoking deal soon thereafter for CCI #41 ($36/1,000 delivered in a group buy) so this won't be a problem soon.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mil spec primer are absolutely not necessary. There's been a trillion rounds of commercial primers fired in the AR without a slam fire.

If there is a slam fire... it's the gun... not the rifle primer.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

Feedback Score
    Ditto on what markm said about standard small rifle primers in an AR.

Reloading with large rifle primers for a FAL is a different story. I absolutely won't use anything except CCI #34s there.

The CCI 34s are considered to be a magnum primer. Not sure on the CCI 41s, but I would consider them hotter than standard unless proven otherwise.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i use the cci magnum 450 in my ar's...
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I use the WOLF SRMs for low reported velocity Standard Deviations.... other than that... anything that'll fit in the primer pocket works for me.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I use the WOLF SRMs for low reported velocity Standard Deviations.... other than that... anything that'll fit in the primer pocket works for me.
    Same here WOLF SRM's at $15.50 a K, working really well for me too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Obligatory recent Wolf SRM note about not using H335/SC844/846 etc with recent lots of Wolf SRM...

(older lots like my 2007 ones are fine)
    formerly known as "eguns-com"
    M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    http://www.eguns.com/www.eguns.com/Closeouts.html
    "eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast