Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brownells Ammo Shipping Costs

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Question Brownells Ammo Shipping Costs

So I add a couple of boxes of ammo to my cart and go to checkout just to see how much shipping will cost and I see this in red:

Your order contains restricted items HAZ and/or ORMD resulting in limited shipping options.
    The only option in the shipping dropdown is $11.95 and below that

Usually takes 3 to 5 business days for delivery. Note: Priority over 5 lbs $22.50
    Finally with a choice of UPS Ground, FedEx Ground or Truck.

So I went to the FAQ page and see a section called Ammo Restrictions

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/general/help.aspx#ammo

where I read this section:
    A $25.00 hazardous fee per order delivered is charged by the shipping company. In addition, a hazardous item escalates the actual shipping costs from $11.95 to an amount the shipping company will determine. Below is an example if your order consisted only of one item, and that item is considered hazardous shipping:

$25.00
    +$TBD
    $TBD (hazardous fee)
    (hazardous shipping)
    total shipping fees

then below that:

ORMD and hazardous materials will only travel UPS or FedEx and require an additional $20.00 hazardous fee.
    So which is it? $25.00 fee or $20.00 fee for HAZ/ORMD or both?

So theoretically I could order say 5 boxes of ammo (or anything over 5 pounds) and have to pay $22.50 base shipping plus $25.00 and or $20.00 hazardous fees or am I totally missing something?

WTF?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    This looks a little high. How much ammo are you getting?

Just order from Palmetto State Armory. Their shipping rates are very reasonable.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have not ordered ammo from Brownells before, but I have ordered it from other sites, and you should not be getting a hazmat fee. Hazmat fees are only for powder and primers
    Last edited by Mike Miller; 07-15-11 at 17:39.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ghengis Khan View Post
    I have not ordered ammo from Brownells before, but I have ordered it from other sites, and you should not be getting a hazmat fee. Hazmat fees are only for powder and primers
    That's what I thought but it clearly states that I'm ordering HAZ/ORMD. When I remove the ammo the warning is gone.

I'm ordering some parts too so theoretically a couple of boxes could push me over 5lb.
    Last edited by Waylander; 07-15-11 at 17:46.

Feedback Score
    I've never ordered ammo from Brownells, and went to their website and attempeted to order some as a guest, and then cancel before paying.

When I looked at my cart after adding two boxes of WWB .45 FMJ, the cart said "Your order contains restricted items HAZ and/or ORMD resulting in limited shipping options." as you said, and had a UPS $11.95 shipping charge. I continued to fill out my billing/shipping info out and went to the last page where you put in your payment info.

The receipt says:

Your order contains restricted items HAZ and/or ORMD resulting in limited shipping options.

Stock # / Description / Store Retail Price Your Price Quantity Extended
    105-202-496 (In Stock)

Win Ammo 40 S&W USA 180gr FMJ 50/bx
    $19.99 $17.99 2 $35.98
    Product Total $35.98
    Tax (Iowa and Indiana Only) $0.00
    Shipping Restriction Charges $0.00
    Shipping - UPS Ground $11.95
    COD Charge $0.00
    NRA Add-A-Buck $0.00
    Total $47.93

It didn't add any more charges besides the standard shipping, other than still warning about it.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've never ordered ammo from Brownells but when getting it from PSA or others the box always has an ORMD sticker on it when it shows up.
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdbse View Post
    This looks a little high. How much ammo are you getting?

Just order from Palmetto State Armory. Their shipping rates are very reasonable.
    +1 for Palmetto State. AIM Surplus is good as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hazardous materials have to ship ground and cannot be shipped through the mail or overnight. I get the same warning when I ordered some wipe out.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hazardous materials have to ship ground. I get the same message when I order my cleaning chemicals.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    HAZ and ORD-D both have to ship ground but there is not an extra fee for the ORM-D. At least that's how I understand it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast