Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 223/556 Primers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

223/556 Primers

Anybody have any strong feelings about using "MilSpec" primers like CCI #41 versus plain CCI #400 (or BR4) for 223/556 reloading to be shot out of a couple of plain Jane ARs and a Mini? Just fun range/tactical stuff, no precision or BR.

I went down to my local reloading emporium and they only had CCI BR4 s in small (100) boxes and I didn't want to buy 1,000 at their prices. Got home and promptly loaded them. Is the risk of a slam-fire really that much greater with standard vs. MilSpec primers? I know (and don't care) that the BR4s are more consistent than the 400s.

Fortunately, I came on a smoking deal soon thereafter for CCI #41 ($36/1,000 delivered in a group buy) so this won't be a problem soon.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Mil spec primer are absolutely not necessary. There's been a trillion rounds of commercial primers fired in the AR without a slam fire.

If there is a slam fire... it's the gun... not the rifle primer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Ditto on what markm said about standard small rifle primers in an AR.

Reloading with large rifle primers for a FAL is a different story. I absolutely won't use anything except CCI #34s there.

The CCI 34s are considered to be a magnum primer. Not sure on the CCI 41s, but I would consider them hotter than standard unless proven otherwise.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i use the cci magnum 450 in my ar's...
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I use the WOLF SRMs for low reported velocity Standard Deviations.... other than that... anything that'll fit in the primer pocket works for me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I use the WOLF SRMs for low reported velocity Standard Deviations.... other than that... anything that'll fit in the primer pocket works for me.
    Same here WOLF SRM's at $15.50 a K, working really well for me too.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Obligatory recent Wolf SRM note about not using H335/SC844/846 etc with recent lots of Wolf SRM...

(older lots like my 2007 ones are fine)
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Indeed. If you like H335, don't buy the current WOLF primers.

Feedback Score
    Is the caution regarding Wolf primers applicable also to the Small Rifle 223 primer or only the Small Rifle Magnum?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    BOTH from what I've read... but the SRMs are what I have first hand experience with failing to start H335.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast