Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223: Varget 27.2 gr, CCI #41, 55 gr LC projectile

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile .223: Varget 27.2 gr, CCI #41, 55 gr LC projectile

Thought I'd share this session.

I was tinkering with TAC and I had a little Varget on hand to compare with it. I remember somewhere MarkM suggesting Varget, so I gave it a whirl.

Here is a .223 load with Varget:

Lake City 55 gr projectile (from Wideners)
    CCI #41 Primer
    Brass: various, including LC
    Varget, 27.2 grains ... this is listed by Sierra as a max load. Please work up to this.

Case prep: standard Redding resizing die, trimmed to 1.75 inches (Giraud).

Seating: COAL = 2.25 inches.

Crimp: None.

Range: 100 yards.
    Temperature: Approximately 60 degrees F (Kestrel battery died).
    Humid? Yes, > 50%.
    Velocity: Chrony battery died, but approximately 3,000 fps out of a 20 inch bbl per Sierra book data.

Upper: BCM 16 inch M4 carbine upper
    Optic: Aimpoint T-1 w/ LaRue Po Boy 2.5x magnifier.

Position: prone with magazine touching ground.

Here is my reference with M193: (5 shots)

(Don't laugh too hard)

Here is the Varget load - really, for a training round, not bad. Worth additional exploration.

I could use your eyeballs on this - just to double check for pressure signs. No splits on necks or case head separation, so here are the primers:

I'm liking this load a lot - Varget is cheap and readily available, will get me minute of bad guy performance at 100 yards.
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 07-01-11 at 15:04.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Was shooting at a VTAC target, each square is one inch.

Feedback Score
    30 cal slut
    I assume this is a 5.56mm chamber? If so why are you not trimming to 1.760" instead of 1.750" . How much are your cases growing once on sized? If your getttig more then .006's growth in your cases it's cause your trim length is to short! The closer your cases are to the chamber demensions the least they will grow! Both of my AR's are 5.56mm chambers I always trim to 1.760" an the most they grow is .002-4".

Other then this it looks like your getting close to finding a great load for your weapon! I suggest maybe just tweaking them loads a tenth of a grain or so up or down to find that sweet spot! Change nothing but your powder charge!
    Last edited by GunnutAF; 07-01-11 at 18:08.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

i'd like to load with longer brass but most of my range pickup brass isn't all that long, maybe 1/4 of what i pick up can be trimmed down to 1.76. and whatever i trim down to 1.75 doesn't really stretch that much after one load.

i will just have to scrounge harder. lol.

Feedback Score
    I shoot nearly the same load in my AR's and have been very happy with it. Varget and H4895 are currently my two favorite powders for the AR.

Feedback Score
    30 cal slut
    Well if they are not growing then your doing good- some loads just don't grow much! You might get away with a 1.755" trim length then! Also sort your brass by head stamps -you'll never get real good groups with mixed brass! Once you get to 1-1.5" groups then you will see what little changes do to your groups! I've been loading pulled 55gr LC bullet and can shrink the group from factory XM193 to about a 1-1.5" at 100yards were as XM193 is around 2-2.5"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I used to use 27 gr Varget under a 55 Hornady FMJ at 2.22" OAL. Shoots good. Pretty hot though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GunnutAF View Post
    30 cal slut
    Well if they are not growing then your doing good- some loads just don't grow much! You might get away with a 1.755" trim length then! Also sort your brass by head stamps -you'll never get real good groups with mixed brass! Once you get to 1-1.5" groups then you will see what little changes do to your groups! I've been loading pulled 55gr LC bullet and can shrink the group from factory XM193 to about a 1-1.5" at 100yards were as XM193 is around 2-2.5"
    i was thinking of trimming to 1.755 myself on the next batch so i could crimp the rounds.

i have scrounged up enough brass today (1,500 lol) to segregate by head stamps and get a meaningful sample.
    Last edited by 30 cal slut; 07-02-11 at 17:25.

Feedback Score
    How full is the case with 27+ grains of Varget? Full to the top?
    Kurt
    Forum Owner, Florida Gun Forum

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Trimming the cases to 1.750 inch is not the cause of case stretching. Normal resizing can make the brass longer, and it can also occur when pushing the shoulder back too far during the resizing process and firing the cartridge later. The brass has to go somewhere when squeezed down in the die, so it will show up in the length. I always check length and trim after resizing. Neck sizing and firing the cartridge in the same rifle chamber, such as in a bolt gun, will negate most trimming needs.

I personally found the Varget sweet spot for 55 grain bullets to be 26.5 grs., and that charge weight fills the case quite full. Have you noticed any powder compression during bullet seating?
    Last edited by JStor; 07-16-11 at 07:42.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast