Thread: Vltor a5 with different stock?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Vltor a5 with different stock?

I performed a search and read through a bunch of vltor a5 threads but could not find an answer to this specific question...

Can one use a different stock with the vltor a5 system? If I was to obtain the extension tube, buffer and spring could I use it with, say, a magpul moe stock? When collapsed, would there be a gap due to the longer tube length? What would be the lop on it with the stock fully extracted?

Feedback Score
    Any milspec stock will work. Lot's of folks doing it here. I run a CTR on mine. Fully collapsed for it is the first click out, which is how i run it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Re: Vltor a5 with different stock?

The only stocks that fully collapse are the ACS, ACS-L, STR, and EMOD that I'm aware of. But any stock will work, they just don't fully collapse.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    To say that they don't "fully collapse" might be misleading. Because the A5 receiver extension is longer than a milspec version, the length of pull with ANY stock in its fully collapsed position will be the same, it's just whether or not the end of the stock sits flush with the castle nut when fully collapsed. The A5-specific stocks are longer than standard milspec stocks in order to prevent that gap. Since I never shoot with the stock in the #1 position, I consider the longer stocks to be simply cosmetic.
    Last edited by Hmac; 08-18-13 at 12:10.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    It's all in this thread.... specifically your question on page 4 asked by me.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...=131839&page=4

Feedback Score
    This should answer your question:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UnrVJT4...%3DUnrVJT4UU10

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    I performed a search and read through a bunch of vltor a5 threads but could not find an answer to this specific question...

Can one use a different stock with the vltor a5 system? If I was to obtain the extension tube, buffer and spring could I use it with, say, a magpul moe stock? When collapsed, would there be a gap due to the longer tube length? What would be the lop on it with the stock fully extracted?
    Just a heads up if you go this route, VLTOR is on a 3-4 month complete backorder so call to have your name added to their queue. I did the same a few weeks ago for the receiver extension and A5H3 buffer.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    To say that they don't "fully collapse" might be misleading. Because the A5 receiver extension is longer than a milspec version, the length of pull with ANY stock in its fully collapsed position will be the same, it's just whether or not the end of the stock sits flush with the castle nut when fully collapsed. The A5-specific stocks are longer than standard milspec stocks in order to prevent that gap. Since I never shoot with the stock in the #1 position, I consider the longer stocks to be simply cosmetic.
    Roger, except the LOP of an A5 RE will be .75" longer for any given stock in its fully collapsed position versus the shorter carbine RE. I opted for a A5 RE10, 6 position tube on one of my builds since I am running an open ended stock that if used with the standard 7 position A5 RE could actually be collapsed past the end of the tube.
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 08-19-13 at 03:47.