Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matech BUIS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    The factory screw uses an 1/3 Allen head. It has an oversized head, but thin body, which tends to promote over torqing because the size of the Allen key used.

If you do snap the mounting screw as some of us have, we do make an improved bracket/screw retrofit kit for the Matech BUIS

The screw is rated Grade 8 plus, for reference, the gas key on the bolt carrier is rated Grade 8. The factory screw has some thread locker already applied, it's typically good for 3 to 4 screwing/unscrewing then a new drop of thread locker needs to be applied.
    I just bought one of these for my Matech, Stout little bracket, its just what it needs...
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT ! DON'T LOOK AT IT !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks, for $19 shipped and our backing on warranty and service, it's one of the easiest upgrade to make if you have a Matech BUIS

But for as long as the factory unit works, by all means you should keep it. If the bracket breaks or the screw snaps, you know how to find us
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks, for $19 shipped and our backing on warranty and service, it's one of the easiest upgrade to make if you have a Matech BUIS

But for as long as the factory unit works, by all means you should keep it. If the bracket breaks or the screw snaps, you know how to find us
    Given enough removal and installation, it's not a question of if the screw will snap, but when. BTDT
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The factory screw we tested to destruction snapped at 30"/LB, the screw we selected, a Grade 8 plus, broke between 45 and 52"/LB

Left to us, we would have used a beefier screw still, but we can't do that without modifying the sight itself, so this is the next best thing, actually the only thing we can do given the design constraints.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score

I just ordered one. Thanks for making it.

Feedback Score
    The factory screw uses an 1/3 Allen head. It has an oversized head, but thin body, which tends to promote over torqing because the size of the Allen key used.

If you do snap the mounting screw as some of us have, we do make an improved bracket/screw retrofit kit for the Matech BUIS

The screw is rated Grade 8 plus, for reference, the gas key on the bolt carrier is rated Grade 8. The factory screw has some thread locker already applied, it's typically good for 3 to 4 screwing/unscrewing then a new drop of thread locker needs to be applied.
    I highly recommend this part, it really is a nice upgrade, seems to make the sight sit better since the bracket doesn't tilt. Plus, BAD is a great company to buy from, they treat you right.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSlade View Post
    I highly recommend this part, it really is a nice upgrade, seems to make the sight sit better since the bracket doesn't tilt. Plus, BAD is a great company to buy from, they treat you right.
    I broke the bracket (horizontal break end to end) on my current Matech recently and I know it wasn't over torqued. Gotta order one of these. Duffy, I was a late bloomer in acquiring a BAD ASS ST. Fantastic product.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    Like the BAD-BSM Matech upgrade! This I have to try!

Something to keep in mind..If re/installing a Matech ibus with dried thread locker already on the screw.. make sure that you 'finger tighten' down the mounting screw as far as possible until your finger tips bleed! This will make sure that the threads are not cross threaded before applying torque with the hex wrench

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What a surprise to see this thread resurrected

Though it's only been a few years, I remember this pet project fondly. I got my Matech sight when it was still rare, I think back in 2003, and I promptly snapped the factory bolt in two.

It was my fault for not reading the manual, I was used to the heavy duty bolts on Troy, ARMS and KAC BUIS, and expected the bolt would stop turning at some point, but it kept going until it broke.

I went to the hardware store and got replacement bolts, and proceeded to snap another one before I realized the bolt wasn't going to bottom out as it would on other brands.

The oversized Allen head, and thin bolt body tend to exacerbate this, as a big Allen head necessitates the use of a large wrench, which in turn tends to make the user apply more torque he would, had the wrench been smaller, and the small diameter bolt doesn't help anyone.

We can't make the bolt thicker, but we do use a Grade 8 bolt so it's stronger, and the head is smaller than the factory one as well. While we were at it, we redesigned the bracket, though few users broke the bracket, to make it accommodate the new Grade 8 bolt, and less prone to canting on some rails.

The RKM (retrofit kit, Matech) was Battle Arms Dev's first foray into the AR/M6 market, so it carries some sentimental value for me
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    The Matech is an amazing BUIS but the bolt is crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12