Thread: Melonite barrel care?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Melonite barrel care?

Is there a verdict yet on the melonite barrels?

I saw 25 page thread and tried to read it but it was 95% noise...

So,
    As these have been on the market for a little bit now, is there a commonly agreed upon set of characteristics for these barrels compared to chrome lined?

Is gas port erosion identical or is one worse than the other?

Corrosion properties similiar?

Lifespan/ accuracy over time?

I have a number of police departments asking to purchase guns with these barrels (due to cost), and when it's the difference between a 100% roll out of patrol rifles, and 50% roll out... I get it. I'd just like to be up front about the service life and recommended PM for them.

I'm not looking at repeating rumors, I'm looking for facts.

Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm no expert but I don't think there is really a verdict on melonite barrels... yet...

Initial reports of the S&W melonite barrels are promising. Accuracy is reported to be excellent and everything is pointing to them being extremely durable; being able to handle a lot of rounds without accuracy loss. How many for sure? Who knows.

I can also say that the melonite barrel in the Troy Carbine is very accurate, seemingly at least as accurate as my 16" BCM chrome lined, hammer forged (BFH) barrel.

Cleaning the melonite barrel is the same process as on my BFH barrel, which is to say very easy. From my experience with melonite barrels they are at least equal to a high quality CL barrel from the likes of FN or DD, in terms of accuracy and easiness to clean. Whether or not they will really last longer than a hammer forged CL is yet to be seen.
    Last edited by djmorris; 11-12-12 at 15:00.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thank you.

One thing I'd really like to see is these S&W 1:8 twist melonite barrels compared side by side with the commercial 4140 chrome lined 1:9 twist barrels that they're really competing against.

Pretty much every rifle from S&W and Bushmaster ships with a 4140 1:9 barrel. I see a lot of people decrying these melonite barrels in favor of Noveske and other premium (CHF) options... but that's not on the table for most departments.

I've sold more M&P15's, 15A's, and Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine's to departments over the past year than I have 6920's and 6940's... and it's not because I prefer them to Colts. A lot of people are just looking at costs, but if there are legitimate concerns with the melonite barrels, it would be good to know about.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Melonite barrel care on an AR-15 should be no different than how you would care for a barrel on a Glock, HK pistol, S&W M&P, Walther, etc. All of those weapons use barrels and slides treated to a nitro carburizing process, aka melonite.

So if you know of any conditions that will cause rust on a Glock, avoid those.